seanpistol's 01 Tundra

jsnow

Adventurer
Great video! I think if you relocated you lower rear shock mounts up, and make sure your shackle bushings aren't binding up (loosen bolts a bit) you would gain quite a bit more travel.

seanpistol

Explorer
Finished up the fat trimming on the driver's side yesterday. Going to knock out the passenger side today.

Throwback Thursday to the day I bought it from a friend-

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Bumper chop is done. Super happy with how it came out, but boy do I need a plasma cutter... 5+ cutoff disks per project is killer. My 4.5" angle grinder is by far my most used and abused tool in the arsenal.

And a little something extra-

Heading up to the Uintas with the Tepui, the dog and the lady either tonight or tomorrow. Driving to Southern California on Monday, so I'm knocking out some basic maintenance. Fluids, spark plugs, etc. 141,000 miles currently on the clock.

seanpistol

Explorer
Thank you!

Got my 10 pound CO2 tank filled and set up. I was looking into sourcing all my own parts and building my own, but came across Instant Air Supply selling tanks on Pirate4x4 with a very generous July 4th discount. Need to figure out where to mount it- currently thinking about building a bracket to put it in the front corner of the bed. Although, it wouldn't be super secure and I don't like that someone can just walk along and open my tank. Apparently the tank can't be subjected to temps over 125 degrees, so it can't be left inside the truck on a hot day in the summer.

7 minutes per tire is not the way to do 35s... but the Viair MV50 will stick around for backup duty.

IAS' website - http://www.instantairsupply.com/

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm pretty unsure what to do about my "undercover snorkel" that's no longer undercover. The purpose of it being routed this way is to keep the inlet about 2.5' back and 8" higher than stock. My fenders are trimmed, the fender liners are gone, and now the very exposed intake is likely to suck up water and mud should I drive through any. Can't have that. Fender liners are not coming back.

The open end is angled down towards the intake at about a 30 degree angle. Anything gets in there and it's going all the way into the intake.

I've been brainstorming what to do and would appreciate input and ideas.

Possibilities-

1. Route the intake to the cowl, which I'm not sure is possible on our trucks. I read through this idea on TW- https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/different-approach-to-a-snorkel.266449/. Pulled up the cowl on my truck and it doesn't have the obvious separate wall like the Taco does. At least not on the passenger side. Has anyone gone through the firewall and seen what is back there? Another guy even went as far as to route it straight into the cab behind the glovebox where it's loud as hell, but completely water tight. Hard to even consider that an option without knowing what's back there, and I don't want my engine to rob my HVAC of air. Here's a photo of the concept from TW.
687474703a2f2f6934342e74696e797069632e636f6d2f3130726b3870312e6a7067.jpg

2. This is a very interesting idea.-
DodgySnorkel.jpg

I came across this airbox mod and am intrigued if combing this with the above would be a great option...
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/intake-and-exhaust/315545-airbox-mod-cold-ram-air/

I would cover the ends of the intake with Frogskin, just for extra precaution. Don't know if you guys have ever seen aftermarket snowmobile intakes, but this stuff is a unique mesh that will allow air to pass through but not water. On a deep day I'll often reach down and brush away a huge stack of snow piled up on the intake because the sled isn't getting enough air. The sled is hot, the bottom of that stack is snow is always melted, and water stays out. Still, I wouldn't entire rely on just this to keep water out of the intake.

Frogskin looks like this-
ac-headlight-cover-kit-05-10-m-series-1340141043.jpg

3. This guy routed his PVC similar to mine, but then it goes back into his cowling. This photo made me think about making my current routing turn 90 degrees back into the engine bay, and have the intake there, near my small ARB compressor. I'm unsure how airflow would be at the back of the engine bay, but could it be any worse than when the current intake was covered up by the inner fender liner? The back of the engine bay would be a safe spot at least, being 3' further back and at least 6" higher than where the stock intake was, and then covered by frogskin to stay clean.
828906d1365427741-custom-snorkel-eriks-snorkle.jpg

4. Mount a pre-cleaner somewhere? Just outside the fender and goofy looking? Meh. :ugh: This guy's 4runner fender snorkel isn't too terrible, but I don't really like this idea either. It'll get ripped off on the trail.-
DeGoose Adventures: Building a home made snorkel. Cheesy or custom?
IMG_1913.jpg

mods12.jpg

Bushhack02.jpg

5. Snorkel. Functional yes, but I honestly don't like how they look so I'd rather find another option. I'd have to adapt one to work on the Tundra, which isn't an issue. There are plenty of cheap ebay knockoffs to experiment with if it comes to that point. I'm considering this the last resort.
_DSC2265.jpg

Input, suggestions, experience?

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
I don't see why you can't make the current setup work. I think the holes in the fender would make a great mount for a sheet of plastic, metal or rubber. Curve it up and attach to the opposite mounting holes. Hell, mount some tabs on each side and fabricate a bolt in setup.

Blender

Adventurer
I'm curious how you approach the undercover snorkel. I'm in the exact same boat without the fender liner and was planning to duplicate what you have.

seanpistol

Explorer
I don't see why you can't make the current setup work. I think the holes in the fender would make a great mount for a sheet of plastic, metal or rubber. Curve it up and attach to the opposite mounting holes. Hell, mount some tabs on each side and fabricate a bolt in setup.

Are you referring to the holes in the fender that I plugged?

I think the intake needs to move to a more secure location all together.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
there have been a few guys that used land cruiser snorkel kits which looks to fit pretty good if you went with the snorkel idea
i like the twin pipes you can switch between. that would probably be the easiest solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL