seanpistol's 01 Tundra

lhanson

Adventurer
THAT makes sense... Like Sean said, you're not getting the uptravel we are. LT would be cool, but it's $$$. My wife would not approve...

I've never been to Moab (or Utah) so I'm really looking forward to it. Gotta get the truck setup before Sept though. I'm planning on building a RTT, I would buy one if prices were reasonable... But I think they're nuts given what it takes to make one.

I just purchased a tepui autana sky and a thule x-sporter adjustable height bed rack for my 1st gen tundra. I was a little in shock at sticker price but if you can justify it out and use it a lot then its not so bad. My friends always give me crap and say hey your like going to school to be an engineer or something why don't you build one haha. Not that easy.

Im game for the Moab party. Im in LA so not far away at all!

seanpistol

Explorer
My roommate that films skiing came home with a camera that cost more than his car. We went up in the local mountains yesterday to play around and he tagged along. He mostly shot video, some it in 4k, but he snapped a couple photos as well. A nice change from my standard Iphone uploads.

Words can't even explain how satisfying it is to push your vehicle and your suspension and never rub. No rubbing from the tires. No rubbing on approach or departure. Lots of work ends in victory!

This is a screen shot from video. Hopefully I'll be able to upload the footage by tomorrow-

Today I'm working on plugging the holes in the fenders, trimming the rear passenger fender, and touching up a lot of paint. Tailgate is off to be painted. You can see how the front bumper sticks out from the body since I removed the flares- might cut into that to narrow it up and weld in new plate if it's not over 100 degrees again.

rickashay

Explorer
Damnit Sean, hurry up and post pics with the holes filled, along with info on the little clips. I am debating going flareless more and more everyday. I almost removed both my rear flares at one point this weekend.... again.

seanpistol

Explorer
Damnit Sean, hurry up and post pics with the holes filled, along with info on the little clips. I am debating going flareless more and more everyday. I almost removed both my rear flares at one point this weekend.... again.

I've had the flares on and off several times. Enough to know I like the lines a lot better without them. I know you're all about a clean looking rig and I'm not sure if the plugged holes really maintain that high level of cleanliness. But, it's pretty easy to do. Get yourself some red Toyota flare snaps. Grind them down on a bench grinder. Some of them have holes- fill them with Bondo and then sand them down. Get some a color matched rattle can and clear coat. The ONLY place I've had good luck with getting our 056 Toyota paint is from automotivetouchup.com- I wouldn't mess with anywhere else. I did a little wet sanding after the first coat and they came out pretty good! Need to paint where I trimmed the rear fenders before I pop those in.

Sorry for the evening photos... you get the picture.

Throwing the RTT on, camping in the mountains tomorrow night. 'Merica.

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks for the info Sean. I'm scared how much those clips are going to cost me up here... I bet $3-$4 per clip. Wanna mail me some? hahah Look good. I may be tempted to try it, and if I don't like it I'll throw the flares back on!

You woulndt happen to have the little Toyota baggy with the P/N would you for the clips? I might order some from Toyota of Dallas. Enjoy the mountains this weekend! and I lol'd at you "Merica'" comment hahah

seanpistol

Explorer
Chop chop.

Sad nobody making bumpers wants to set the winch further back... Saw Relentless doing the same thing on their Instagram. Just set the winch 6" further back and offer a washer bottle relocation kit... easy!

Might have to hack mine further in the more distant future. In the near future- thinking about chopping the side supports on the main hoop and adding headlight hoops.

dyogim

Explorer
I know you've already made the cut but you should've kept that section and integrated some tubing that protected the fenders and attached to the sliders via a bolt system. That way you can take it on/off whenever for when you are on the trail. As far as moving the winch back, you've done this much already, why not fabricated a mount to move it back further. :)

Otherwise, it's looking awesome.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Chop chop.

Sad nobody making bumpers wants to set the winch further back... Saw Relentless doing the same thing on their Instagram. Just set the winch 6" further back and offer a washer bottle relocation kit... easy!

Might have to hack mine further in the more distant future. In the near future- thinking about chopping the side supports on the main hoop and adding headlight hoops.

Bring bumper in is possible but a lot of has to do with the ability to put hoops on. Sure someone could make two versions. Most are trying to do 100% bolt to reach a larger market. Production bumpers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
you should've kept that section and integrated some tubing that protected the fenders and attached to the sliders via a bolt system. That way you can take it on/off whenever for when you are on the trail.

Hey... why don't you do that! I'd like to see it! :bike_rider:

River19

Observer
Came out great.

While I won't be joining the tubbing party, my 2001 with 206K will be getting a mild build in the next few months now that my Diesel is gone (was a time suck) and my new 2014 Ram needs nothing.

Just got the Dirty Deeds exhaust on a few weeks back and now I need to address some things like skid plate, flares etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL