seanpistol's 01 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looks comfy inside. I would keep most the weight over and in front of the rear axle if you can. Good time to rebuild it lighter if possible as well. Keep it roomie and change/add what you will actually use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
If my bed ever gets smashed I'd replace it with a flatbed, no question!

Worked on the camper for a few hours today. I removed all the fiberglass insulation and replaced it with rigid foam insulation with an R-value of 5. That's about double what the old smelly fiberglass insulation offered.

Got the white beadboard installed on the front. It's really going to brighten things up in there.

I tried to fix the old porch light that had been converted to LED, but it wasn't having it. I think it was a problem with the switch on it. I threw up one of these 6" light bars. Still need to clean up the old silicone and patch some holes. My girlfriend suggested mounting the second 6" light bar on the side.

I ordered some bright white Monstaliner to paint my black roof back to white. I'm also going to do my tailgate with it, and maybe from just above the grille and down on the front where my paint is chipped. I'm pretty excited to try their product. If I like it, I'll probably paint the camper with it as well. Maybe light grey? Something different.

Anyone ever let their lady drive for 5 minutes and then have to spend 45 minutes with the pressure washer right after? That was my experience yesterday. Quick video-

Last edited:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I've never been in one of those things. I am 6'4, hows it for room inside?
Looks like your flying right along. For me, with dogs, that setup would be much more practical that a RTT.

Watching with interest, as always.

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm 6'3". It's probably 6' tall inside. My height is another reason the 6' long bed isn't going to work. (Is everyone with a 1st gen Tundra on this forum tall?)

I agree with you about the practicality. It's kind of a similar package to a shell and a rooftop tent... but better. With more amenities. And easier to get on and off. :)

I'll admit that the majority of time I'm sleeping in the RTT is when I'm exploring, or fishing, and cruising down mellow dirt roads to get away from people. FWC>RTT in those situations. The one time I would prefer the RTT on the low bed rack is when I go down to Moab and want to do the "fun" obstacles. I have been thinking about building a cart with casters the same height as my bed to make the camper more stable off the truck and easy to move around the yard. Maybe I should just make a trailer instead of a cart? Then I can pull it down to Moab for that once or twice a year trip and use it as basecamp. Or, maybe I'll have to finally tackle Hell's Gate on Hell's Revenge and do it with the camper on. Ehhh maybe not. Haha!

8f58d3662be7b6cd6907862b158c091e.jpg

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I'm interested in feedback on the Monstaliner. I've been eyeing that product for a couple years now. Seems to be the best bedliner available short of LineX. I need to redo the rocker panels on my rig and this stuff seems legit.

trailscape

Explorer
I'm often glad to be in the sub six foot crowd. I can sleep comfortably in the bed of the truck, but I do often wish I had more height in the topper. Maybe I'll get crazy one day and attempt a pop top.

IS-RIDER

Observer
I'm interested in feedback on the Monstaliner. I've been eyeing that product for a couple years now. Seems to be the best bedliner available short of LineX. I need to redo the rocker panels on my rig and this stuff seems legit.

I did my bed with it about four years ago now, and it has held up well in my opinion. I bought the cheap spraygun that they offer and it worked pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kya

Adventurer
I have been thinking about building a cart with casters the same height as my bed to make the camper more stable off the truck and easy to move around the yard. Maybe I should just make a trailer instead of a cart?

I would suggest the trailer route. Almost did the same thing with building a cart, but a trailer ended up being cheaper and easier to move around the yard and into/out of the garage.

Our over the cab bed slides out toward the backdoor. Ends up being the size of queen bed. Might be a good way to give you that 6' of bed space. I can show you pictures if you want.

spazstic

Lives for the weekend
Nice, I like the camper. Thought of doing that previously but some of the trails we hit are so tight we wouldn't be able to make it if we stuck out a couple more inches.

viperdriver

Observer
Late to the party, but just read the whole thread in an afternoon. Awesome Tundy, I've got a 2000 that im starting to work on and there are a ton of ideas in here, thanks for that!

Know it was over a month ago, but did that guy ever sell your original bed rack? Looking to get into one and I dont have the skill or equipment to fab my own. Looking forward to seeing the build progress even more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL