Securing roof top tent against theft

Kiwi_Ed

Hello everybody,

I've posted this question in a different topic but as I got no answer and figured it would make sense to have this as a topic on its own here it is again:
We finally bit the bullet and bought the Prime-tech roof top tent. Luckily enough it fitted right onto the roof bars of our car and was installed and ready to go in a matter of minutes! We've spend our first night in it and slept fine. So far, so good!

tent.jpg

I am just left with on question.
As the tent is just connected to the car with a few bolts and nuts anybody can take the roof tent of the car. As the car (incl. tent) will be left somewhere for varies amounts of times (from day-long hikes to a quick shopping trip) it would allow anybody with bad intentions to unscrew the tent, put it in the back of a van and drive off.

I was wondering if you thought of any way to secure the roof tent against theft.

I've looked into getting shear nuts or any other one-way nuts. But as we do need to take the tent of the roof between trips this is not really an option. I also looked at getting 2-way security nuts, but (besides the point that anybody can buy a special wrench to undo these) they usually come with a driver socket that is too big to fit between the car and the tent.. So any other ideas are very welcome.

Kevin108

Explorer
Most people wouldn't know what it was, thus limiting the likelihood of anyone stealing it. If they can't use it or sell it, it's pretty safe.

On the other hand, if someone truly wants to take it, they will. Are your wheels locked on? Locking gas cap? They could just bring a dolly or wrecker and take your whole car.

Not sure what the real answer is for you. Insure it and stop worrying?

Given the small gap between your car and rack options are kinda limited. I saw where a guy used eye bolts to mount the tent from the bottom up and then use a large lock running between two bolts so they couldn't be unscrewed with the lock there. Also security bolts would work for someone who isn't serious. If have room you could put a cup shape washer around the bolt so only a socket could be used to unscrew it. Would prevent someone using channel locks or vise grips. Also since the nut or bolt wouldn't be visible someone would have to screw around with multiple sockets before they found the right size.

Like said above I am sure most folks have no clue what it is or it's worth. I would just worry about the average crook trying to make a quick pinch. Someone determined will get it one way or another.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I would drill a hole in the mounting bolts and put a small lock right near the nuts. You only need to do two (opposite corners) of the mounting plates, so 4 total locks. It would be pretty difficult to get a bolt cutter in there to break the locks, and would be pretty easy to unlock and remove from your car. Just make sure the hole for the locks is close enough to the nut to prevent it from coming too loose and them sliding it around.

gotink

Observer
If someone wants it,it's gone .Just enjoy it, and don't worry about it for everything you can do there is away to get around it...Someone could just remove your rack also...

Kiwi_Ed

Hello lads,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Obviously if someone wants to steal it they will but if there is any way of preventing them to do it too easy I will.

It's exactly the reason that no one knows what it is that worries me. I would expect somebody to think it is some sort of massive roof box (full of valuable stuff..) and if it is only attached with a few nuts and bolts it's easily removed.

I don't know if the mounting bolts are thick enough to hold a small lock (M10, I think without looking, minimal 4mm lock would leave me with 3mm on either side if I drill carefully. Not a lot..). But I will definitely have a look at some eye nuts the next time I'm in the hardware store. A small-ish one might just fit and then I can just connect that with a padlock to my rack (which is part of the car, so not possible to remove without taking the whole car). That would solve my problem..

Thanks again!
Edwin

p.s. I will post some pictures when I get something sorted.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
On top of my cars, I have had for many years what I call a "photon torpedo", or simply the torpedo. It's just a space case, but I like to call it the torpedo. I've had one on my cars for over 15 years.

I never lock it. People don't go into it, they don't bother it, and I hardly worry about it. Occasionally I consider locking it, but I almost never do. And I lived in San Francisco and parked in and around The City for many years. I now live near San Jose and still never lock it.

So, bottom line is, I agree with the posters upthread who say that most people won't even know what it is, and I don't think security is a major concern.

If I were you, I might worry if you parked your car in a seedy or seemingly unsafe location and left it there for several days without moving it. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, and leaving the car with RTT for a long time is asking an unsavory person to pry into it.

Otherwise, I think you don't have much to worry about. That's my .02, but of course if it gives you peace of mind to secure it, then by all means do that.

Attachments

• 2014-06-18 CR-V La Ribera.jpg
    2014-06-18 CR-V La Ribera.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 49

grogie

Like to Camp
Part of my security is just making it more work. Extra locks... extra cables... hidden bolts... that all just take more time. It's the best that I can do. But yes, people will tend to leave alone what they don't understand and/or have a use for.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I would be more worried about the jackhole with a knife wanting to ruin your day, by stabbing the soft thinger on your roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven