SEMA Show 2023

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've tested quite a few multi-switch systems from Auxbeam; similar panels are available from a few other companies. One such company is Metra and they offer an a-pillar mount for the 8-gang switch panel in the JK. I showed this to Auxbeam and suggested they do the same.

MetraAPillar.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There were a lot of water carrying solutions at the show this year. Some may have been around for a while but there were lots of new ones too. I like these from Waterport.

Waterport1.jpg

Waterport2.jpg

The business end of one of them. It's got a Schrader valve for pressurizing the container for powerful water flow.

Waterport3.jpg

They also have a battery powered pump:

Waterport4.jpg

This Waterport was in the SeaSucker booth, they're a suction mount company and this one is mounted with suction cups (more on SeaSucker in an upcoming post).

WaterportSeaSucker.jpg

This one is interesting, it comes with a metal mount that includes the ability to hang other gear on it. It's also got an integrated pump.

WaterIICamper1.jpg

Not sure what this container offers beyond what an ordinary jerry can does.

WaterRocket.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
More on carrying water...

A company called Indeed Camping has these interesting 5.5 gallon containers; similar in size and shape to jerry cans but with a center stud mount. Notice the spigot fitting on the back:

WaterWoogok1.jpg

Another one, a hose with a nozzle is connected to the rear but it doesn't appear there's a way to create enough pressure to get a good spray.

WaterWoogok2.jpg

They also were showing this one, at first it seemed like it might be good on a roof rack, but the only way to get liquid in or out appears to be the cap in the center. Awkward. They should take a look at the Waterport containers in the last post.

WaterWoogok3.jpg

Another idea from Indeed Camping: water/traction boards. Could be a good way to maximize space, water and traction boards in the same space.

WaterTraction.jpg

A company called Giant Loop was showing these water bags:

WaterGiantLoop1.jpg

Not sure I like the spare tire mount implementation though, seems like a dirt magnet.

WaterGiantLoop.jpg

More stuff to come - the "Overland Experience", trailers, some ideas from the Ineos Grenadier, and more.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Some photos from today. Today I'll focus a bit on TJ/LJ Jeeps - there really weren't too many TJ/LJ Jeeps at the show this year, actually I saw more Land Rover Defenders than TJ/LJ's but I haven't seen the whole show yet so maybe there are more to see tomorrow.

Big enough tires? This one is from Turn 14 (a distributor):

View attachment 803683

View attachment 803684

An LJ from Yukon Gear and a USPS-styled LJ. I don't recall for certain, but these may have been at the show last year.

View attachment 803681

View attachment 803685

This TJ wasn't in the show, I saw it driving by when I was walking to the West Hall. I thought the rack was interesting so I took a photo.

View attachment 803682b

No this isn't a TJ, but has anyone seen National Lampoon's Vacation? It's the Family Truckster :).

View attachment 803680

I actually spent a good part of the day working so I didn't take too many photos. I did take more photos and I'll get around to posting them as soon as I get time.
That orange TJ may be a rare sighting of BillieBob in the wild….

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
More on carrying water...

A company called Indeed Camping has these interesting 5.5 gallon containers; similar in size and shape to jerry cans but with a center stud mount. Notice the spigot fitting on the back:

View attachment 804005

Another one, a hose with a nozzle is connected to the rear but it doesn't appear there's a way to create enough pressure to get a good spray.

View attachment 804006

They also were showing this one, at first it seemed like it might be good on a roof rack, but the only way to get liquid in or out appears to be the cap in the center. Awkward. They should take a look at the Waterport containers in the last post.

View attachment 804007

Another idea from Indeed Camping: water/traction boards. Could be a good way to maximize space, water and traction boards in the same space.

View attachment 804004

A company called Giant Loop was showing these water bags:

View attachment 804003

Not sure I like the spare tire mount implementation though, seems like a dirt magnet.

View attachment 804002

More stuff to come - the "Overland Experience", trailers, some ideas from the Ineos Grenadier, and more.
Is it just me or do others feel nervous about leaving their water supply outside the vehicle unattended?

toddz69

Explorer
Great pictures! I used to only know Sema as the place for tuner cars.... now I can see it is that and so much more. One day I'll have to make it there. Are there token times for journalists and vloggers to make the rounds without attendees or is it just a come as you are whenever?
There are times when the journalists/vloggers/influencers etc. get in earlier/later to take serious photos w/o 26 people in the way. I've been doing reporting (all print, thankfully) from the show for 25-26 years now but my entry credentials are not as a journalist. When I've needed specific photos, I usually go to the entrance closest to the booth I need to be at, and then get there asap when the doors open before the swarms get there. It's always worked well for me.

Todd Z.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
There are times when the journalists/vloggers/influencers etc. get in earlier/later to take serious photos w/o 26 people in the way. I've been doing reporting (all print, thankfully) from the show for 25-26 years now but my entry credentials are not as a journalist. When I've needed specific photos, I usually go to the entrance closest to the booth I need to be at, and then get there asap when the doors open before the swarms get there. It's always worked well for me.

Todd Z.
Nowadays everyone with an iPhone is “vlogger/influencer” I’m not sure how they even vet that anymore.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A company had an Ineos Grenadier in their booth. The Grenadier is a new vehicle made by UK company Ineos; the Ineos CEO believed Land Rover was making a great mistake discontinuing the classic Defender so he decided to create a new similar but better new vehicle.

Grenadier1.jpg

Grenadier2.jpg

I took a few photos in the cockpit, I like the dash and overhead layout.

Grenadier3.jpg

Grenadier4.jpg

One thing I found interesting is the L-track built into the sides (it comes that way from the factory). I'm not sure what it'll be used for but I'm anxious to see the uses people come up with when enough Grenadiers get out into the field.

Grenadier5.jpg

Grenadier6.jpg

Grenadier7.jpg

If it proves useful, it wouldn't be hard to DIY attach L-track to a Wrangler. I'll have to keep an eye on Grenadier posts to see what people end up doing with it. Anyone have any good ideas for using this feature?

More to come - the "Overland Experience", trailers, etc., but I've got a long (16-hour non-stop) flight tomorrow so it may be a few days before I post more.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
oooo...I really like those inflatable truck shells
I'm thinking a "hardtop" made from this might be perfect for those who only have the top on in the winter - deflate it and it's much easier to store than a traditional hardtop. Also lighter, so easier to install and remove.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm thinking a "hardtop" made from this might be perfect for those who only have the top on in the winter - deflate it and it's much easier to store than a traditional hardtop. Also lighter, so easier to install and remove.

That’s it. One person to inflate and install it. When you are done you roll it up and put it in the storage locker.
We are the Canadian distributor for Flated and can assure you that those are the real deal. There are tons of people using it as a camper topper.

TripLeader

Explorer
Is it just me or do others feel nervous about leaving their water supply outside the vehicle unattended?

I thought the Giant Loop brand reservoirs are really for carrying gasoline. I think they have a market with dirt bikes as an easier way to pack. But I think it is more a "wink wink" product because of fuel can regulations, which they might not comply with.

DTAdventure

Great pictures and info. The Grenadier looks very interesting. I guess it has to prove its reliability first for most people?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12