SEMA Show 2023

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A Jurassic Park inspired JL 2-door in the Katzkin booth, complete with YJ inspired rectangular headlights.

JurassicJL.jpg

I didn't do a formal count but I believe there were more Broncos (both new and old) at the show than Jeeps. This one is outfitted for overlanding. The Bronco designers put provisions for mounting a roof rack into the roll bar and hardtop, so it's far less trouble to mount heavy things on top of a Bronco than it is on a Jeep.

BroncoOverland.jpg

An AluCab equipped Gladiator. Lots of stuff mounted on the back. Check out the chimney, there must be a heater or maybe a stove inside?

JTOverland2.jpg

JTOverland1.jpg

Pelican was showing this compressor kit. I like the idea but there seems to be a lot of wasted space inside, maybe it could be smaller?

PelicanCompressorBox.jpg

A company was showing their new power-setup roof top tent. It has hard sides, soft ends (removed in this photo to show the mechanism) and uses linear actuator motors to raise and lower.

RTTActuator.jpg

I'm in the process of testing Auxbeam's new 12-gang switch panel system, I've written a bit about it in my JK thread and a bit about my SEMA meetings with Auxbeam in this thread - I gave them a bunch of feedback the week before SEMA and more feedback at SEMA and they've taken action on my suggestions already. They received an award the new system it at the show:

AuxbeamMediaAward.jpg

It's a nice honor, MORryde and I received two of those awards at the 2019 SEMA Show for the Trail Kitchen...

AwardSEMA_zpsh3swry4t.jpg

toddz69

Explorer
A company had an Ineos Grenadier in their booth. The Grenadier is a new vehicle made by UK company Ineos; the Ineos CEO believed Land Rover was making a great mistake discontinuing the classic Defender so he decided to create a new similar but better new vehicle.

View attachment 804105

View attachment 804106

I took a few photos in the cockpit, I like the dash and overhead layout.

View attachment 804107

View attachment 804108

One thing I found interesting is the L-track built into the sides (it comes that way from the factory). I'm not sure what it'll be used for but I'm anxious to see the uses people come up with when enough Grenadiers get out into the field.

View attachment 804109

View attachment 804110

View attachment 804111

If it proves useful, it wouldn't be hard to DIY attach L-track to a Wrangler. I'll have to keep an eye on Grenadier posts to see what people end up doing with it. Anyone have any good ideas for using this feature?

More to come - the "Overland Experience", trailers, etc., but I've got a long (16-hour non-stop) flight tomorrow so it may be a few days before I post more.
Thanks for those pics - that was my first time checking out a Grenadier in person as well. I really liked the interior/switch quality as well too.

Todd Z.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This vehicle was in the show, it's a Suzuki Jimny. The successor to the Samurai, it's available in many countries already, including India (where I am as I write this) as the Maruti/Suzuki Jimny. There's also a 5-door version.

JimnySEMA.jpg

A photo from the India launch:

JimnyIndia.jpg

I've read that if it does get released in the US, it could retail for a third of the price of a Wrangler.

The stats I've seen say that Jeep sales have dropped about 1/3 in the last year or so. I believe Jeep made a tactical decision a few years ago that is turning out to be a terrible strategic decision and is costing them big time in market share. The tactical decision was to increase the higher luxury and functional options, which increases margin. One would think increasing profit margin is a good thing, but the side effect is that the average Wrangler is priced way out of the range of younger buyers. For almost all of its history, open Jeeps have been very affordable "starter vehicles". It wasn't that long ago (2006) that a 4-cylinder, soft top, half door TJ was a very affordable starter car. Can anyone say that any version of the JL is priced in starter car territory? It used to be that Jeep could get people hooked early and many of them became enthusiasts. No so anymore, the only Jeep that might be considered a starter car is a used Wrangler, and even those are priced pretty high. Ford's Bronco is eroding Jeep sales at the mid- and high end, and if Suzuki does the Jimny in the US, that'll be the starter vehicle that Jeep used to be. Say goodbye to more market share, Jeep.

BTW... Theres more choice in affordable 4wd "offroad enthusiast type" starter vehicles here in India than in the US these days - the Maruti Jimny, the Mahindra Thar and the Force Gurkha to name three...

India4x4.jpg

I've rented a Thar in India on a prior trip here and done a road trip through Rajasthan in it and I love it. I'd trade my JK for it in a second if it were available in the US.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Earlier in this thread I posted about the MORryde preproduction suction-mount table. A company called SeaSucker makes suction mounts and was showing lots of suction accessories.

A Rotopax mount:

SEAroto1.jpg

SEAroto2.jpg

And a suction-mounted Klymit 4-gallon water tank/shower.

SEAjt1.jpg

Lots in this next photo... washbasin, table, antenna mount, cutlery keeper, trash bag, drink holder ..

SEAjt2.jpg

The suction mounts can be trusted for things like a bicycle although I'm not sure I would want the top suction mount pulling out on the pickup cap hatch window.

SEAjt3.jpg

Recovery boards, bicycle, Rotopax and shovel on the lid of this RTT:

SEAtrailer.jpg

I've got some other ideas for these suction mounts and I'll do some prototypes as soon as MORryde gets going with the table. If you've got ideas for suction mounting things, post them and maybe I'll suggest the ideas to MORryde.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I've rented a Thar in India on a prior trip here and done a road trip through Rajasthan in it and I love it. I'd trade my JK for it in a second if it were available in the US

The Thar looks like it woul dbe a chinese knock off o fthe Jeep, much like thye hvae done with the BMW X5 and Land Rovers in the past. So what makes it better than the JK?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This vehicle was in the show, it's a Suzuki Jimny. The successor to the Samurai, it's available in many countries already, including India (where I am as I write this) as the Maruti/Suzuki Jimny. There's also a 5-door version.

View attachment 804739

A photo from the India launch:

View attachment 804738

I've read that if it does get released in the US, it could retail for a third of the price of a Wrangler.

The stats I've seen say that Jeep sales have dropped about 1/3 in the last year or so. I believe Jeep made a tactical decision a few years ago that is turning out to be a terrible strategic decision and is costing them big time in market share. The tactical decision was to increase the higher luxury and functional options, which increases margin. One would think increasing profit margin is a good thing, but the side effect is that the average Wrangler is priced way out of the range of younger buyers. For almost all of its history, open Jeeps have been very affordable "starter vehicles". It wasn't that long ago (2006) that a 4-cylinder, soft top, half door TJ was a very affordable starter car. Can anyone say that any version of the JL is priced in starter car territory? It used to be that Jeep could get people hooked early and many of them became enthusiasts. No so anymore, the only Jeep that might be considered a starter car is a used Wrangler, and even those are priced pretty high. Ford's Bronco is eroding Jeep sales at the mid- and high end, and if Suzuki does the Jimny in the US, that'll be the starter vehicle that Jeep used to be. Say goodbye to more market share, Jeep.

BTW... Theres more choice in affordable 4wd "offroad enthusiast type" starter vehicles here in India than in the US these days - the Maruti Jimny, the Mahindra Thar and the Force Gurkha to name three...

View attachment 804740

I've rented a Thar in India on a prior trip here and done a road trip through Rajasthan in it and I love it. I'd trade my JK for it in a second if it were available in the US.
Looks a bit chilly there in India…

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How are all those suction cup mounts supposed to be effective after a day on dusty or muddy trails?
They adhere best to a clean surface so if the surface is dusty it's a good idea to wipe the surface, ideally with a damp cloth, before attaching the suction mount. Once the mount is attached, dust won't affect it because the rubber cup will be sealed to the mounting surface, so if you attach them before heading out into the dust or mud, they'll be fine the whole time.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For years the major auto manufacturers had a large presence at the show, but most were absent this year. Toyota did have a large space and among other vehicles, was showing this custom FJ45 and Land Cruiser:

ToyotaFJ45.jpg

ToyotaLandCruiser.jpg

There was a company showing replacement Toyota body parts, including this FJ40 (they seem to offer all parts except the basic body shell); they offer almost enough parts to build an FJ45 pickup from scratch.

TPparts1.jpg

TPparts2.jpg

The quality seems to be excellent, much better than the Philippine replacement sheet metal available in the Jeep market. The company also offers Land Rover Defender parts but so far, no Jeep parts.

Another FJ in the show...

FJ40Quake.jpg

I posted this photo the other day about a storage box that mounts to the side of the hardtop...

TacMOLLE2.jpg

Here's another one (on a Bronco in this photo).

WinboSideBox.jpg

Boxes like this are factory options on the new Land Rover Defender, I wonder if that's the inspiration for these aftermarket ones.

Two companies were showing Rotopax mounts that bolt to the door hinges, here's one of them:

RotopaxHinge.jpg

I did a similar design a few years ago and built some prototypes, but I never went any further with them because it didn't seem like there was too much interest in the idea.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I hadn't seen the Bestop RoughRider spare tire storage product in person until the show...

BestopRoughRider.jpg

Do people like this look? Do people want make their Jeep look like [an] a**? Well ok, technically this is a pack mule, not an a**...

BestopAss.jpg

It's not the look I'm going for with my Jeep. When I decided I needed a trash bag and more storage on my spares, I sought inspiration in the classic car "trunks" of the 1930's...

SpareHopperTrunk.jpg

SpareHopper2.jpg

The Bestop product also looks to me like a dirt magnet. Can it be cleaned in the car wash without getting everything in it wet?
SpareHopperWash.jpg

Related: I posted the two left photos below the other day, it's a hard storage box I saw at the show. Maybe Rockslide's inspiration was also from the 30's, the vehicle at right is a mid-30's Pierce Arrow.

TrunkBox.jpg

Another formless spare tire bag at the show. This one doesn't look weatherproof, check the gap under the flap on the left side. Not sure if the turtle pattern on the lid is supposed to be a functional MOLLE-like grid or if it's just decorative.

SpareBag.jpg

I guess I have a different design aesthetic than most of the people who design Jeep products, or they just don't think much about design.

Still to come... some photos from the "Overland Experience" and overland trailers at the show.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger