Shell + Rooftent

CLynn85

Explorer
Are there any shells on the market that can support the weight of a rooftent and two people? I looked on ARE's site and they didn't have anything on how much weight the roof could support.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have an ARE Z cap with a Con-Ferr 4'x5'x6” roof rack and it can take the weight up to about 400 lbs easy, maybe more. I have had a canoe, two MNT bikes and gear up there that was well over 250 and I cruising at 70-75 MPH for 600 miles at a time. When I load the canoe and bikes, I am up there to, making it 420 lbs. On this cap I mounted through the honeycomb center and it worked out ok. I have 6 mounting spots and 12 holes (1/4 20 bolts) that are reinforced with (6) 3”x 6” pieces of aluminum on the outside and washers in the inside. I think it works better when you mount to the curve of the cap. That's the way it was on my last truck and it felt stronger and had no aluminum plates.

In December I had the roof top tent on the cap and with me and 2 of my younger daughters up there, it was fine. About 240 in people PLUS the weight of the tent and rack. That's all the testing I have done with the tent so far.

For the last 4 years I have had my 35" spare up there on a 16x10 rim and its not light!!

Louie

PS.....Carl, I need some tips on OBX!!! I am planning a trip there from June 7-17. Planning on driving from southern tip of the Core Banks to carova...plus the boat trips.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I've had a SnugTop with a Conferr rack on it for 10+ years. I have carried my Hobie hulls, 3 fuel cans, firewood & hi-lift on it up & down the Baja pennisula for years. No signs of deteriaration yet. I am gussing this all weighs in around 500 lbs. You could also look into Gem Top. Their unit are pretty stout. They make metal shells for commercial pick ups that carry work racks on top for ladders & lumber. Good luck in your quest.

robert

Expedition Leader
ARE only reccomends 200 lbs IIRC; that was one of my concerns when I was looking for a shell too (I bought the ARE- it's a very nice top). I also wouldn't drill through the honeycomb part out of fear of it crushing as I tightened it over time- this was not something I had ever thought of, but Nullifier brought it up in a discussion on mounting racks. All of this is just my opinion of course and it's worth what you paid for it. :ylsmoke:

When I was looking at them, I figured I would build an internal support structure that the rack would be bolted to through the fiberglass. I haven't gotten around to doing this though and probably won't. I have the Yakima track system (bolted on either side of the honeycomb part); I normally just carry a kayak or two or a canoe. Sometimes there is a bike up there and a Space Booster and I've carried mattresses and some lumber before also. I wouldn't want to try it with 400lbs though, I'm scared the resin in the glass may start cracking and the top leak- I had this problem with an older camper shell on my last Taco. I think they had put too much hardener in it and when you pressed on it you could hear it.

Willman

With the weight you are talking about...I would not what to risk any damage to your shell......ARE's ary very$$$$$....I have one as well and what to do the same thing with my shell/Rooftop tent....

If i were you...I would reinforce your shell with some Alum......

Here is an example of what Ramdough did on this truck!! Cool site too!!!

http://www.ramdough.com/Deck_mod.htm

I have been thinking about building a lumber style rack that goes on the outside off the shell for my rooftop tent and gear!

Doing this will avoid drilling holes in the shell and having to worry about it cracking due to my wife and i getting jiggy with it!!!::Wow1: ....lol......
:camping:
This way i can put huge mass of weight above with a peace of mind of not cracking my shell....

I'm still in the planning stage if i want to go with the rack on top of the shell or the lumber style.....

:bigbossHL:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Roof Top Tent mounting solutions

These was a thread a while back discussing various mounting solutions for Roof Top Tents here: Roof Tent Mounting Options

I feel that you would have to support the shell via an internal structure or go with an external rack. Both have their advantages.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater