Shopping for My next Rig, in an Under-served Market Segment

dcbryan

Observer
XJ, take the money saved and build to your hearts desire. The only criteria is the year, last was 01, or go with the Grand. Here's a Grand.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2004-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-c2391#listing=110090615

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah they're definitely affordable and capable trucks. The milage though, that's what get's me -

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2005_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee.shtml

The v6 is guess wouldn't be much worse than a Montero Sport, but that was already on the lower end of the fuel efficiency spectrum.

Thanks everybody the great suggestions. I'm still unsure on what my priorities are, but I've pretty I'm at least aware of all the options at this point.

BOPOH

Explorer
if you are planning on doing you own maintenance check out rockauto.com way better than any autozone

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Montero Sport is the clear answer. I went through nearly the same process as you (also in OR) where Toyota's are incredibly overpriced. The Montero Sport is an awesome rig and very stout for the price. There is enough aftermarket but the reality is it is mostly unneeded which will save you money. Go buy that 2004 and leave it stock. The 2000 left over in your budget will buy you over a years worth of fuel....

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The 3rd-gen RAV4 (2005-2012) has a push-button center differential lock. 1st and 2nd gen RAV4s have a very capable, full-time 4wd system, more like Subaru than the later, primarily front-wheel-drive systems.

Nissan Pathfinders are pretty good used values. The Nissan 4.0 has quite a bit more output than the Toyota 4.0. I just loaded some furniture into a previous-gen Pathfinder and was really impressed with the cargo volume....much better than the 4th-gen 4runner we were also loading.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I have an XTerra, as much as I would like to recommend it, I don't think you will get a good one in your year and price range. You would want the 2005+ years and not the 1999-2004, which ups the cost. I think it is a very solid vehicle, but it is heavy, sharing the same chassis as the Titan. That adds weight, which increases fuel consumption.

I love mine and there is very little on the market I would rather have.

Gruni14

Observer
Not sure if I saw 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee in there. They fit your price point and are quality vehicles. I've driven our earlier G/C to over 300k miles with only routine maintenance. We have an 03 Overland now. It's an amazing vehicle. With the OHC 4.7, it's got monster torque. With Quadra-drive it uses fluid locking diffs in front/center/rear so in effect upon wheel slippage, you can have all systems 'locked'. It's probably the the best system out there (see youtube videos). Plus they are very comfortable and no problem with parts both new and used and dealers aplenty. Look for one with side air bags. Fuel economy might be below your range, but quality and safety and solid front end and good articulation and a real xfer case lever might make up for it. Go take one for a drive.

Gruni14

Observer
BTW, I took a Grand Vitara all over Moab and the San Juan mtns and it was great. Economy was good and it was really fun. I really loved it. Being fairly low its not going to beat some of the bigger more robust rigs, but a lot more capable than I had expected. How are they for parts?

Applejack

Explorer
Funny, I don't see a Subaru Forester on your list. No, it does not have a low range box but if you get it with an auto it has quite a bit of crawlability. It handily fits the 4-6 realm of your chart. It will get you in to places you would never expect. Hell, I've taken my CR-V on trails where people in Jeeps were surprised to see me and the crv is nowhere near as capable as a Forester. They have a decent aftermarket too, lifts, skids etc.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Funny, I don't see a Subaru Forester on your list. No, it does not have a low range box but if you get it with an auto it has quite a bit of crawlability. It handily fits the 4-6 realm of your chart. It will get you in to places you would never expect. Hell, I've taken my CR-V on trails where people in Jeeps were surprised to see me and the crv is nowhere near as capable as a Forester. They have a decent aftermarket too, lifts, skids etc.

I thought you could get a low range box for those from Australia.

dcbryan

Observer
Thanks for the continued replies guys. I’ll respond to them individually

The 3rd-gen RAV4 (2005-2012) has a push-button center differential lock. 1st and 2nd gen RAV4s have a very capable, full-time 4wd system, more like Subaru than the later, primarily front-wheel-drive systems.

Honestly the price was my main issue here. The cheapest non fwd Rav4 (2005+) on craigslist in my area is $7500 AND it has 167k miles on it. I really can’t afford them, but for somebody with more cash, definitely an option.

Nissan Pathfinders are pretty good used values. The Nissan 4.0 has quite a bit more output than the Toyota 4.0. I just loaded some furniture into a previous-gen Pathfinder and was really impressed with the cargo volume....much better than the 4th-gen 4runner we were also loading.

Price is also my first red flag here. Looks like $8000 would be get me into something like this: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5169926742.html

A agree, the forester is definitely at the top of the CUV list for me. The subie market in the NW is pretty inflated and to find a 2005 with less than 120k on it, that doesn't have a blown head gasket… Looks like a round $7k, which isn’t too far out of my budget. But… for three grand less I could get something like this: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5186778888.html
a 2004 Grand Vitara with 4w high and low, 17/20mpg and only 130k on it. Also, I’ve done a head gasket on a Subaru, not something I’m interested in doing again.

I have an XTerra, as much as I would like to recommend it, I don't think you will get a good one in your year and price range. You would want the 2005+ years and not the 1999-2004, which ups the cost. I think it is a very solid vehicle, but it is heavy, sharing the same chassis as the Titan. That adds weight, which increases fuel consumption.

I love mine and there is very little on the market I would rather have.

Thanks for the info, I came to the exact same conclusion. A little too expensive, a little poor on mpg.

Dake21

Adventurer
1st gen grand vitara are awesome. The V6 have good power for their weight and you'll get the fuel economy you are aiming for. Good lift options too. It's low tech (no TC, ABS or ESP), if that's what you are looking for too. Just check for rust.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Just remember, Suzuki is a dying brand. They went bankrupt and stopped selling cars in the US and Canada in 2013. Parts are stupid pricey for some things as well (such as the $115 EGR to cylinder head gasket on the Forenza) other parts are not bad, but damn. I work for a Suzuki dealer and was shocked at some of their prices, until you realize that it's a GM export only part, imported from Germany, sold to Japan, then sold to Suzuki America before being sold to the dealer. Every stop along the way has a mark up which means higher prices for the end user.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk