Shopping for My next Rig, in an Under-served Market Segment

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Just remember, Suzuki is a dying brand. They went bankrupt and stopped selling cars in the US and Canada in 2013. Parts are stupid pricey for some things as well (such as the $115 EGR to cylinder head gasket on the Forenza) other parts are not bad, but damn. I work for a Suzuki dealer and was shocked at some of their prices, until you realize that it's a GM export only part, imported from Germany, sold to Japan, then sold to Suzuki America before being sold to the dealer. Every stop along the way has a mark up which means higher prices for the end user.

I can't speak for the Forenza (which as you likely know, was not a real Suzuki, rather a Daewoo with Suzuki badging), but the EGR to head gasket for my Suzuki Sidekick was like $4. All the parts for my 1995 have been very cheap, but I also am not attempting to go to dealers for them.

My vote would be for a first-gen Grand Vitara; hell, possibly an XL-7 or even the last-gen Grand Vitara. Just my two cents. I am also a self-admitted fan of their products.

Dake21

Adventurer
I havn't seen any crazy expensive parts so far.
The sidekick has the most rugged suspension but is a bit underpowered.
1st gen grand vitara has more power and is a typical 4 wheel drive with a frame, RSA, recirculating ball steering etc like the sidekick.
The XL7 is simply a strechted out grand vitara with a bigger engine to make up for the added weight.
The 2nd gen is more comfort oriented. Despite having a rear independant suspension it tows twice as much as the previous gen. It is full time AWD with low range gear box. It has TC to transfer power from left to right, something the previous gen had not.
2nd gen XL7 is a typical crossover with no offroad abilities whatsoever.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
It's a no brainer that the Grand Vitara is the way to go in this category. I may be biased since I own a 2007 with the 2.7L V6 and 4WD. But nothing in the segment even comes close to in terms of quality and being the closest thing to a full ladder framed truck. I'm surprised it's not a more popular option in the overlander world. It really is the best of all worlds. Where else are you going to find a full framed crossover with low-range gearing, very decent ground clearance, locking center diff and still gets excellent mileage?

With the 2.7L V6 we actually averaging 11.3L/100km city and just over 9L/100km on the highway if we stay under 110km/h. Much better than what Suzuki says you'll get. And we're not exactly easy on it. My wife is coming from a Volvo 850R as her last vehicle so she doesn't drive it easy. I hear the later GM 3.2L V6 is a pig on fuel, but it is a lot more powerful. The reliability of the 3.2L V6 is also a bit sketchy. But I've honestly never needed more power than the 2.7L V6 offers. Even sounds pretty decent at higher revs. The 2.7L V6 is a suzuki derived motor (just a punched out version of the 2.5L V6 in the older GV's) where as the 3.2L is a GM motor.

My parents also own a 2012 Grand Vitara with the 4cyl. That little 4cyl is cammed to be a torque monster. It's got zero top-end but the torque they get out of that little 2.4L is very impressive. My dad tows his 21ft boat with it all the time and it does great. Their 4cyl with the 4spd tranny is comparable in fuel economy to my 2.7L V6 with the 5spd.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure if this is a priority or not but I looked at several of these vehicles mentioned in years past and actually ended up skipping them for one major reason. On road collision safety. I stuck to most of whats been mentioned RAV, Pathfinder, Subaru etc. I ended up with a 4runner for about 6yrs which nearly bankrupted me due to the lousy 3L v6 it had two ground up rebuilds Toyota covered it but still cost me lots of money. I dumped that for a Subaru and when mine developed a weepy Gasket Subaru actually fixed it and did it in 24hrs I had it another 10yrs with ZERO issues! BEAT The CRAP out of that car! I replaced it with another subaru not because of the car was so great but because Subaru unlike other brands seems to step up and help customers when stuff that shouldn't fail fails etc.

The RAV was a big contender almost bought one! Sooooo very close! But it had a Toyota premium price and in the end I really didn't find that it offered enough value to justify the "Toyota" Tax. Funny enough the Pathfinder I made an offer on seller had just listed it and was asking a bit too steep of a price told me no. A good friend ended up purchasing it about three months later for the price I offered originally. He put lots of years and trips on it with no issues. He and his wife put it in a ditch on 101 avoiding a box of heavy parts dropped of the road in front of them. I was actually in front of them with my wife in our Subaru and just barely dodged the box. They were fine but the Pathfinder was done! They replaced it with a Subaru he said the big reason was watching us manage to dodge the box and stay on the road and his first thought was Oh were so dead! We were headed to the Wildflower Triatholon.

Dake21

Adventurer
I'm not sure if this is a priority or not but I looked at several of these vehicles mentioned in years past and actually ended up skipping them for one major reason. On road collision safety. I stuck to most of whats been mentioned RAV, Pathfinder, Subaru etc. I ended up with a 4runner for about 6yrs which nearly bankrupted me due to the lousy 3L v6 it had two ground up rebuilds Toyota covered it but still cost me lots of money. I dumped that for a Subaru and when mine developed a weepy Gasket Subaru actually fixed it and did it in 24hrs I had it another 10yrs with ZERO issues! BEAT The CRAP out of that car! I replaced it with another subaru not because of the car was so great but because Subaru unlike other brands seems to step up and help customers when stuff that shouldn't fail fails etc.

The RAV was a big contender almost bought one! Sooooo very close! But it had a Toyota premium price and in the end I really didn't find that it offered enough value to justify the "Toyota" Tax. Funny enough the Pathfinder I made an offer on seller had just listed it and was asking a bit too steep of a price told me no. A good friend ended up purchasing it about three months later for the price I offered originally. He put lots of years and trips on it with no issues. He and his wife put it in a ditch on 101 avoiding a box of heavy parts dropped of the road in front of them. I was actually in front of them with my wife in our Subaru and just barely dodged the box. They were fine but the Pathfinder was done! They replaced it with a Subaru he said the big reason was watching us manage to dodge the box and stay on the road and his first thought was Oh were so dead! We were headed to the Wildflower Triatholon.

Depends where you live I guess.

http://www.montrealracing.com/forum...orreur-avec-Moteurs-sautes-et-garantie-Subaru

After 59,000KM (36,000 miles) 4 new engines blown up and 25 liters of oil burn. Subaru refused to fix the 2012 impreza after the 5th engine. That was at 3 different dealership, one of whom he cannot name because of lawsuit threat. It was so bad his story went on the news.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Depends where you live I guess.

http://www.montrealracing.com/forum...orreur-avec-Moteurs-sautes-et-garantie-Subaru

After 59,000KM (36,000 miles) 4 new engines blown up and 25 liters of oil burn. Subaru refused to fix the 2012 impreza after the 5th engine. That was at 3 different dealership, one of whom he cannot name because of lawsuit threat. It was so bad his story went on the news.

LOL I always wonder why people think that a RACE team and vehicle beat up used as a street racer should get fixed by the auto maker every time it fails. I have a cousin that destroys cars like its some sort of drug habit but he's smart enough to agree that asking the auto maker to fix it is a bit of a stretch.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
lol.. Can you tell me what your real world MPG is in your 2001 3.5XS?

Real World as measured with 265/75r16 AT's. Honestly I would just go back to stock size.
Towing 3-4k lbs on interstate: 12
Around Town: 17.5-22
Highway (55mph) 20-24
Interstate: 19-23

Dake21

Adventurer
LOL I always wonder why people think that a RACE team and vehicle beat up used as a street racer should get fixed by the auto maker every time it fails. I have a cousin that destroys cars like its some sort of drug habit but he's smart enough to agree that asking the auto maker to fix it is a bit of a stretch.

It has nothing to do with a race team at all, don't let the forum name fool you. It was his daily driver. Read the article.
It made the news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSGWAHo8Pg and funny enough they show the web page I linked above in their story.

Last edited:

94toy22re

Observer
Why not a 2002-2010 Ford Explorer, real 4x4 system with 4 low, decent mpg, parts are everywhere and at least in my area they are cheap

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Why not a 2002-2010 Ford Explorer, real 4x4 system with 4 low, decent mpg, parts are everywhere and at least in my area they are cheap

My dads 99 exploder no joke has 260,000 miles on it. Still runs all original every part is worn out but it still goes. Hard to ignore that value. The 4L v6 is pretty impressive.

Viggen

Just here...

100% agree. For the money, an Explorer is hard to beat and in that price range as quoted, a super nice one can be had. The only down side, but for most uses not that big of one, will be the IRS in that year range.

SlinginIron

+2 The 3rd-4th gen Explorer is surprisingly capable off-road. Stock, it flexes like a brick but, some upgrades are available for the suspension. I really dislike the "advance track" system which cannot be deleted unless you want to say goodbye to your ABS. If you have the patience to get used to the traction control it is surprisingly useful, however, if you decide to install lockers it will keep the traction control from having a need to engage. It's a vehicle with widely available parts, decent reliability, and 4 low. Actually, there are different 4WD options; 2WD/4high/4 low, and 4WD auto/4high/4low and unlike the Escape (AWD called 4WD) the Explorer is four-wheel drive (open front and rear diffs) and an on-frame vehicle in the aforementioned age range. My wife has the 4.6 V8 and it does ok as far as fuel mileage 15-17 city and 18-19 highway, towing capacity with the little V8 is good.
$.02

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Back to the Escape platform: the AWD system is actually engaged at every acceleration. No front wheel slip required. I've monitored the engagement via my ScanGauge (use to own a Mariner). It feathers out as you increase speed and is typically 0% around 35-40 mph but I have seen it engaged at 70.

The first gens have a 4 speed transmission. The 3.0L V6 is a pretty good motor. The 2nd gens get a 5 or 6 speed transmission and different tune to increase the power. The 2nd gen V6 transmission is very picky on having clean fluid. Next to zero aftermarket for either generation. I know basically nothing about the Focus looking Escapes. 18 mpg city, 23 highway on the 1st gen V6 and 18 city, 25 highway on the 2nd gen V6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk