Show me your "Adult" rigs and how you keep them running.

txnight

Adventurer
July 2013. It limped onto the trailer.
H66mH4Ql.jpg

First I decided to repair everything in the engine compartment, replace busted up panels, new interior, and a garage paint job.
C2B4OGzl.jpg

The existing wiring was scary and most of it wouldn't tone out when tested. Took 10 steps back and rewired it from front to back. Best and most frustrating decision to date. At this point I begin to question why I bought a truck with EFI and a computer.
ogpoGNal.jpg

Panel fit and primer work.
wJFIH2bl.jpg

Five coats of single stage buckskin tan. Cheap but durable.
jbEY9wll.jpg

Playing with a tent in the driveway.
BN8jbxFl.jpg

Dog approved. Wife doesn't have the same reaction.
8JCsN8pl.jpg

It has been a great project and a quick year. I did most of the work from 4:30 to 6:00AM before work to keep the wife grumbling to a minimum.

Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/122396-1988-F-250-Adventure-Rig-Build-Up

Have a great weekend and keep posting these classic rigs.

Last edited:

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I clicked on the link in your signature, but it says "invalid thread specified". Cool truck!

I started a build thread when I got it and deleted it because it was gonna be awhile before I done anything.. I'm gonna start another soon

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I believe that was a Pathfinder 4x4 from Ford...He has a build thread going on it in 4x4 vans section. It was as close as you could get to a factory 4x4 back in the day I would imagine.

Bingo. And to Martin's point, "factory" 4WD and the "factory installed" 4WD that the van came with are 2 different things.

Any additional details can be found in the build thread (link in my siggy)

SG

gtbensley

Explorer
Bingo. And to Martin's point, "factory" 4WD and the "factory installed" 4WD that the van came with are 2 different things.

Any additional details can be found in the build thread (link in my siggy)

SG

Your van is one of my favorites. I love the look and just how clean your rig is. Awesome job

snekvasil

Adventurer
Geri-Rig

My 46 year old work-horse the day I inherited him:

Before.jpg
1968 Chevy K10
Inline 6, 292 cu. inch

How he sits today (about a year later):

Hill.jpg

Basic improvements...new brakes, shocks, etc. I wanted it to be safe and trustworthy

The biggest improvement that I've made to keep it running has been to scrap the old carburetor and outdated electrical system to the junk pile.
Under the hood before:

BeforeEFI.jpg

With an HEI and a Howell Engines Development EFI installed:

EFI.jpg

Those two improvements have improved the truck's reliability immensely...I can't believe I lived without them.

Post-bedliner pic and a teaser pic to show a soon-to-be bed rack...

Bedliner.jpg

Rack.jpg

east_tn_81

Adventurer
This truck looks great. Glad you stuck with the straight 6.

My 46 year old work-horse the day I inherited him:

View attachment 244213
1968 Chevy K10
Inline 6, 292 cu. inch

How he sits today (about a year later):

View attachment 244214

Basic improvements...new brakes, shocks, etc. I wanted it to be safe and trustworthy

The biggest improvement that I've made to keep it running has been to scrap the old carburetor and outdated electrical system to the junk pile.
Under the hood before:

View attachment 244215

With an HEI and a Howell Engines Development EFI installed:

View attachment 244216

Those two improvements have improved the truck's reliability immensely...I can't believe I lived without them.

Post-bedliner pic and a teaser pic to show a soon-to-be bed rack...

View attachment 244217

View attachment 244218

R.G.

Dime Trucker
My 88 FJ62

attachment.php

Camping in October with friends. I didn't have an extra tree for the hammock so I took the other rope over the roof and used the wheel.

attachment.php

Driving around on the farm. Not my farm, one we can mess around and camp at.

I have had this Landcruiser longer than I can remember. It has only left me stranded once when the wiring to the fuel pump got corroded and wouldn't carry current any more. Wire corrosion has been the biggest problem, that and non stop oil leaks. Seriously, I fix one, and another pops up. Once I get settled in to a place with a good shop, or I get one built Im tearing her down and doing a full rebuild.

ramsport59

Observer
10419455_825638530812556_1423151129476322206_n.jpg

This is my Cummins powered 93 Reg Cab Short bed that I treated to a new ramcharger body...

Needed a backseat for the new baby.

Skinny

There are some awesome rigs in this thread. Love the old iron! I saw an FJ55 pig the other down down here in Wilmington...looked better than new. Of course I'm only 31 so it's pure speculation :)

Here is my old girl, a few years out of service. She lives the retired life now just running around burning diesel fuel. It sits right next to my adult boat, the old Misfit Toy. Another one that is living the dream running around burning even more diesel fuel.

0820140802.jpg

M35A2

Tinkerer
My rig is almost a senior citizen at 46 years old I've owned it since 1990 and rebuilt it twice the second time adding a cummins 4BT 3.54 gears and truTracs front and rear and a 203/205 T case The trailer is based on a 1958 Alaskan camper so it is nearly qualified for social security! I've added a York compressor for OBA with a 7 gal. tank a ramsey 8K winch 65 gal fulel tank 2 spare tires full gauges mounted in an F-600 dash bucket seats in front moving the sliding bench to the rear that allows easy storage under and behind for lots of gear.An overhead console for AM/FM-SD card stereo with Bose speakers and a CB and soon a vintage under dash AC...actually there is very little that came from the factory in'68 still on the truck.The trailer is based on an 8' Alaskan camper that we upgraded the water tankage to 22 gallons and replaced the icebox with a frige and a small solar system to keep the batteries charged.They are both still "works in progress" but we are very happy with them so far I am getting ~16 mpg for the truck and trailer when loaded to 12,000 lbs combined weight which is 6 mpg better than the truck got empty with the 390 :Wow1:
Someday if I can ever afford it it will get paint and body work done but that is beyond my skill sets so it may be a long time before that happens but it is rock solid reliable as it sits so I can live with its rough looks

100_1441.jpg

100_0466.jpg

100_0977.jpg

100_1378.jpg

DSCF3857.jpg

100_0351.jpg

100_0278.jpg

That is a damn fine rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member