Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

enzo

Explorer
Yeah, unfortunately It's actually higher off the ground than it was on my Tundra [not sold on this set up at all yet] The Softopper racks create a huge gap between the tent & top as you can see.
MPG was in the 'astonishingly horrible' category - but i was funneling air into the Softopper due to the tent being forward of the gap... and it was windy as all hell on the 395.
Looking into the 'Bakkie' bed mounted set up... anyone have other options to suggest?
Ideally a Trailer eventually. :-]

I use the Thule Xsporter 422xt for my RTT and awning. It's lightweight and adjustable.

Tim A

Adventurer
Yeah, unfortunately It's actually higher off the ground than it was on my Tundra [not sold on this set up at all yet] The Softopper racks create a huge gap between the tent & top as you can see.
MPG was in the 'astonishingly horrible' category - but i was funneling air into the Softopper due to the tent being forward of the gap... and it was windy as all hell on the 395.
Looking into the 'Bakkie' bed mounted set up... anyone have other options to suggest?
Ideally a Trailer eventually. :-]

I have Inno crossbars for the RTT, puts the whole package just below cab level. But if I had to do it over, I'd get the Xsporter like Enzo. That would give me a little more storage room underneath, and I'd be able to get an awning up high too.

Last edited:

enzo

Explorer
Tim A- I used the INNO crossbars myself for a few months but wanted an awning so I needed a way to mount it high enough to actually use it.

Tim A

Adventurer
Tim A- I used the INNO crossbars myself for a few months but wanted an awning so I needed a way to mount it high enough to actually use it.

Yeah I"m trying to figure the awning thing out now. I'd like to have a functional awning without shelling out mucho dinero for a new rack, might end up going with a roof rack for the tacoma

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
ecriv?

Did you sleep in the RTT in the snowy condition? If so how was it? I know when camping in 0 degree temps the last thing I would want is my bed 7' off the ground with cold air under it.
Cam-shaft.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
View attachment 92744
881s on 5100s in the front, adding a 10mm spacer and probably OME struts before the big trip this summer.

That is the same setup I am running up front. It works great for me and I am very happy with it. I am putting a diff drop kit on it this week though. I haven't had any problems or vibrations after running it a year but I have more angle on the CVs than I care to have.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Did you sleep in the RTT in the snowy condition? If so how was it? I know when camping in 0 degree temps the last thing I would want is my bed 7' off the ground with cold air under it.
Cam-shaft.

better then being on the ground. The ground will soak up heat a lot. Thats why you sleep on a pad(other then comfort) I bet it actually wasn't bad. Plus i have read of guys wiring up a 12v heater blanket in their RTT tents for just such occasions haha

m1ashooter

I guess should finally post something since I've been on here for a while. I bought this 2001 4Runner last year. I'm working on a trailer for it also. I've got several things in mind for it as time and money allows.
4runner (3).jpg
4runner.jpg

Last edited:

YotaPilot

Adventurer
2012-02-29_15-07-28_195.jpg

Blackdawg, any reviews of this bumper? I like it. Is it airbag compatible like the ARB?

Last edited:

ecriv

I use the Thule Xsporter 422xt for my RTT and awning. It's lightweight and adjustable.
Can you mount the Thule over a softopper? I thought about those but i wasn't sure... the ladder barely reaches the ground now. I'd like to keep the bed waterproof & still have the flexibility the ST provides... asking too much?

ecriv

Cam-shaft.

Yeah, wasn't bad at all - we just doubled up the sleeping bags [I had a 20 deg with a -10 layer over top]. It was only 15-20 degrees outside & we [2 of us] weren't cold at all. setting it up & taking it down however, was a bit chillier... The Eezi-Awn has a nice 3" mattress that did a great job insulating us. no complaints - i just knocked snow off the roof from the inside a few times & dreamt of the fresh tracks in the AM.

ecriv

better then being on the ground. The ground will soak up heat a lot. Thats why you sleep on a pad(other then comfort) I bet it actually wasn't bad. Plus i have read of guys wiring up a 12v heater blanket in their RTT tents for just such occasions haha

Exactly. a heater blanket would have been nice - my only regret was not bringing my boots up with me... i had to jump down into thigh deep snow in my sneakers in the AM. Also reminds me of another good device - a funnel hose clapped to a 6' length of hose running outside to pee in. :-]

Box Rocket

Found an old photo from the first trip out in the truck from last year. Killer ~1000 mile trip across Utah on dirt roads. Out of date but sharing anyway.

UCEsunset.jpg

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Exactly. a heater blanket would have been nice - my only regret was not bringing my boots up with me... i had to jump down into thigh deep snow in my sneakers in the AM. Also reminds me of another good device - a funnel hose clapped to a 6' length of hose running outside to pee in. :-]

HA!! that is good to know..haha

Blackdawg, any reviews of this bumper? I like it. Is it airbag compatible like the ARB?

Not totally 100% positive on that. But so far..i LOVE it! as well as all the others sporting one :cool: Very good build quality.

oh and check out this thread..about the ppl that have gotten in wrecks with the bumper :p
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/elite-off-road/140102-elite-off-road-bumper-collisions.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach