Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Keep finding new places to post my rig. 2008 FJ Cruiser, AT, 35s. 4.88s, Warn, Bud-built, Expedition One and all the other doo-dads that make up a decent expedition truck. Also pulling a one off expedition trailer with Autohome RTT.

Ace
ebamu9yp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wasatch

Observer
How is your awning mounted? Can you show some detailed pics? Thanks..

I fabricated L brackets out of 3/16'' steel and mounted to the crossbars with u-bolts. The mount may exist somewhere, but I have yet to find it... Cost me about 15 dollars in materials.

photo.JPG

Wasatch

Observer
And the finished product:

photo (1).JPG

It is very solid and keeps a nice low profile close to the truck, didn't make a noise or shift at all on a recent 2,000 mile trip.

seanpistol

Explorer
The mini Tacos are awesome. I almost bought a brand new one in 2009 but bought a Subaru instead... which I later sold to get the Tundra. Nice rig! Makes me think about what I would have done had I snagged the Taco.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Keep finding new places to post my rig. 2008 FJ Cruiser, AT, 35s. 4.88s, Warn, Bud-built, Expedition One and all the other doo-dads that make up a decent expedition truck. Also pulling a one off expedition trailer with Autohome RTT.

Ace
ebamu9yp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I like it!

That's it, I'm moving!!!

Thats just shot throwing the camera out the window while going up the Chief Joseph Highway. Probably one of the greatest roads you will ever drive.

sjxj

Observer
Thats just shot throwing the camera out the window while going up the Chief Joseph Highway. Probably one of the greatest roads you will ever drive.

Heck yeah. When I lived in Cody, I was up there all the time. Dunking my head in the river near Crandall and enjoying a few Coors from the store up there is in my "awesome memories" files. I almost bought a cabin up there a while ago - right at the same time, I found out from one of my friends in the fish and game that Crandall is where they were dumping the "nuisance" grizzlies from Cody, and then somebody got mauled. That's when I decided to keep exploring in my truck and not buy the cabin. Still, a great area, and I'm glad it's not part of Yellowstone - I feel like that's why it's so far less travelled. Hope it stays that way.

Steve

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
eh..its still pretty traveled..but not as much as just the Beartooth or just any part of yellowstone. I grew in Powell and we kind of just avoided the beartooths due to people and bears. Spent most our time in the Big Horns.

But now i think id like to spend more time there. Need to go check out sunlight as ive heard its epic but never been there.

soonenough

Explorer
Blackdawg - awesome photos on the previous page. Your truck is really coming out nicely.

It's been months since I've watched it, but that trail wasn't the one that XOverland did in Season 1 Episode 5 ("It Barely Makes Sense") was it? The switchbacks and the trails in the wooded areas look very close to what I remember from that video. Since the videos have been taken down, I can't go back to watch them to confirm, so I figured I'd ask.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg - awesome photos on the previous page. Your truck is really coming out nicely.

It's been months since I've watched it, but that trail wasn't the one that XOverland did in Season 1 Episode 5 ("It Barely Makes Sense") was it? The switchbacks and the trails in the wooded areas look very close to what I remember from that video. Since the videos have been taken down, I can't go back to watch them to confirm, so I figured I'd ask.

Yes actually it is the same trail. Its 30 mins from my house. I had heard horror stories about it from locals. But i have been wanting to do it for the last 3 years ever since i got into offroading.

Trail is Morrison Jeep Trail.

honestly..xoverland did a great job at making it look MUCH harder then it is. Honestly i thought it was super fun. The corners are very tight but no more then 3-4 point turns. Only one corner we hit was sketchy that almost tipped me. But im real top heavy and took a bad line. Once i went around it we figured out how to get the other guys around it no problem. Just had to go super wide and do a 8 point turn or so.

I mean..it still takes some balls cause you are right on a cliff..but its a very fun trail. Over hyped if ya ask me. Only took us an hour 40 for 3 tacomas and we took our pretty time on parts of it BSing haha total trail time though from the bottom of the canyon to the Beartooth high way is about 6-7 hours depending on your pace..

This is the one tricky corner. you can see it has a big ledge that swallows 33s in it. just need to go wider is all.

Then again i did Blackbear pass in Co down to Telluride just a week later which is suppose to be super sketchy too..and Morrison made it look like a normal road in terms of switchbacks. Blackbear was easy. We even did the Steps in the pour rain and had no issues.

Both however are spectacular trails and super fun and gorgeous. Highly recommend them.

bimmeryota

Observer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377458453.946621.jpg
A very recent pic from a trip to Pismo!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377458169.662855.jpg that's my new FWC eagle on its first trip off road.
A little on the rig:
91 xtracab sr5 with a 3.4 swap
Recent removal of pro comp bracket kit and now the Suspension consists of bilstein 5100s, downey torsions, ball joint spacers up front with diff drop. Downey in the rear with Firestone airbags and daystar airbag cradles.
Aisin hub swap with 32x11.5 bfg
Cradles came in handy on the sand driving.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377458659.552334.jpg
Shell I sold before the camper was purchased.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377458745.801274.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1