Silvers Xterra Build Thread

Silver dude

Xplorer
I really like your X- functional and without the excess weight/bling. Nicely done! :)
Very much appreciate your comment. I strive for useability.

Nice rig. :)
Thanks!

One point about the lock, too - does it have some sort of plug or a similar device to prevent water and nastiness from getting down into the lock cylinder? I'm thinking that if not it might be a ***** to get off in the winter.

It is a Master lock that was rated for good weather capabilities. I thought about it as well, looking back maybe I should of turned the lock 90 degrees. I figured if it becomes a issue a piece of electrical tape over the key hole would fix it. I never take the can off, the mount is light enough its just easier to pull the pin and set the whole thing aside. I'm planning to mount a receiver on my garage wall actually. Being a crappy Carb approved can I whipped the nozzle in the trash long ago. I use a transfer pump as its easier then lifting the heavy can. Though I see the point to taking it off. I guess the lock was more so to secure the can in transport then to deter theft. Though seeing the lock on top at a distance makes it feel secure.

I made a similar mount for my gas can on my Xterra. I have the Calmini rear bumper (POS btw).
I mounted the can on a swing arm so you can swing it out of the way and then open the tire carrier. It allows the can to clear the side of the X.

Good idea this has the wheels in my head turning. Perhaps I can just make a pivot so the can flips down after I pull a pin. I'm really not trying to add any more weight then necessary. Would be cool with a swing out as well. It doesn't bother me to much really the way it is other then those grocery stops when I fill the fridge, otherwise its on the ground or on the truck.

Why not just turn the jerrycans sideways so the skinny side faces forward should allow enough room

Yeah I was brain dead. Initially I didn't want it that way as it hung away from the bumper edge. Worse in a rear end collision plus a lot hanging off the edge of the bumper really stressing the hinge and making the front end lighter I've considered redoing it that way now but I would have to remove the tube I welded SECURELY to the tire carrier and move it left or right to clear the tire. It's do able but it will leave scars in the carrier. Thanks the suggestion though. It would most likely be the cleanest route say I made some kind of goofy mount to hold the can properly.

Used the can this past weekend on a few days trip. REALLY REALLY! love having spare fuel. Piece of mind was just total relaxation. On long trips I think I will always bring it especially with the kayaks which munch fuel.
20130809_021333_zpse2974ed3.jpg

At camp it spent most of its time on the tire unfortunately.
20130810_204736_HDR_zpsd0457caf.jpg

Thanks for the input all I appreciate the comments.

XTorrey

Observer
Looks like scenes from Ouray, one of my favorite places to camp with the X during summer. :)

Nice work you've done there!

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Uh oh...looks like my wife has found Expo portal. Nice pictures though. We try to hit the San Juan area as often as we can.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Silver dude

Xplorer
Thanks, I did a large loop of colorado. Though the majority of the pictures are from Ouray. Quite the incredible place already dreaming of heading back one day. Starting to feel as though I've got the truck about how I want it. I apologise for not posting more tech as that generally what people want to see in a build thread. However, with the truck being pretty well setup nothing more to do then to drive it, use it for what its worth. The big mods are done, the truck performs. Though I guess the mods never end.

Ben

Silver dude

Xplorer
Refresh time for the idler arm. If you have a stock idler arm I'd highly recommend the Bandit 4x4 bushings. I got 3-4 years of intense wheeling out of these. The stock plastic bushings lasted less then a year between rebuilds for me.

20131021_153623_zps85ee864b.jpg

Ben

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Looks like a great trip to colorado. I have it written in pencil for 2015.

How many miles on your X again? I'm bordering 120 000 (200 000 km) and wondering when I will need to do the same with CV joints/ball joints etc

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Hit us up when you come this way. We'd be happy to show you around.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Silver dude

Xplorer
Looks like a great trip to colorado. I have it written in pencil for 2015.

How many miles on your X again? I'm bordering 120 000 (200 000 km) and wondering when I will need to do the same with CV joints/ball joints etc

187,000 miles (300,883 km).

Ball joints 1st went at 110,000 miles this is the second go around adventure travel and the lift kit isn't super friendly on wear items.

Cv's are usually pretty good till the boots split. Obviously, in a part time 4wd system they aren't used very frequently. However, after a torn boot on one side and hard off highway use they were both worn out at 185,000 miles.

Only thing I'm sort of worried about with this much on the clock is the Fuel pump. I should probably swap it prior to its eventual failure though it doesn't appear to be a common failure with these trucks.

Colorado was a incredible place to wheel. As is Moab, Utah if you've never been I would highly highly recommend the Gonemoab event. Having done both I'm starting to look for new options not that I've expended the terrain in the locations by any means. Just want to find hidden gems, the past few years I've done the popular areas which is fun just lacks the remoteness feel of adventure travel that I love.

Added a heated seat kit to the Xterra last night. Should of installed one years ago. The winters in Illinois can be quite brutal, nice to have a warm core while the heater gets up to temp. Once I get the spare change I'll likely toss one in the grilfriends seat.
20131111_040602_zps04c96ef7.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
I always love your mods/upgrades. We must have a pretty similar taste. I imagine a Nissan ball-joint replacement is a pretty typical affair?

I hear you on the fuel-pump- that, the starter motor and the alternator are my biggest concerns being out there in the middle of nowhere. I always remember my dad's Land Cruiser FJ55 that had an emergency hand-crank for the starter!

Lastly did you ever buy a maxtrax/Smitty/Tred? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure which one- I'm just not convinced a couple of boards of plastic should cost $150 let alone $300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal