Silvers Xterra Build Thread

Silver dude

Xplorer
Thanks, yeah the ball joints are pretty common more so the uppers then the lowers. I tend to do all the maintenance build up and repair myself. Should something go wrong in the field I'd have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done.

Yeah on long expeditions like when I went to Colorado I had a spare alternator and fuel pump just in case. Perhaps I bring to much spare parts. But, the piece of mind is worth the load at times. When way out on a desolate road its 50% less fear in my mind. Luckily my truck is a stick shift should it not start I can either be pushed pulled or dragged to a start by another vehicle, or group of people, or big hill lol. The truck is actually pretty reliable do to its primitive suspension and grandfathered reliable powertrain. I continually think about moving to a more modern platform to get a little more space, hp and better ride like a 4th gen 4runner. But, the truck really does what I need it to from a work horse stand point and after the past 8 years I know its quarks and abilities like the back of my hand.

Yeah I never picked any up. I keep thinking I should as it would be nice when all else fails. The Smittybilt ones were reviewed terrible on Amazon.com. They were the ones I was looking at originally do to the moderate cost. The others are super costly, sort of waiting for a good cheap set of boards to come along.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I hear you on the peace of mind thing, I try to balance it. I do believe that more weight puts more strain on the components. Not to mention in my case I'm always concerned about the room to carry all the stuff since I travel with 2 passengers and sometimes our dog too. I've considered a bigger truck myself but I somehow manage to find the room for everything I want to bring even if it requires trying a couple of different configurations. It's been a good truck.

I saw the reviews on the Smittys and have been leaning towards the TJM TREDs which are the same price as the Smittys but supposedly designed and built in Australia by TJM. MaxTrax are twice the cost. May be we can get a group-buy going.

Silver dude

Xplorer
I hear you on the peace of mind thing, I try to balance it. I do believe that more weight puts more strain on the components. Not to mention in my case I'm always concerned about the room to carry all the stuff since I travel with 2 passengers and sometimes our dog too. I've considered a bigger truck myself but I somehow manage to find the room for everything I want to bring even if it requires trying a couple of different configurations. It's been a good truck.

I saw the reviews on the Smittys and have been leaning towards the TJM TREDs which are the same price as the Smittys but supposedly designed and built in Australia by TJM. MaxTrax are twice the cost. May be we can get a group-buy going.

Yeah its amazing how well a truck can be loaded. Sometimes its like a game of Tetris getting the boxes and shapes lined up. But, as you said always seems to be place for everything.

The TJM's would rock just gotta get people onboard (bad pun) that they are a quality product.

I think I've seen your X a time or 2 in Rockford. I live in Dixon.

Nice, I've lived in Byron most of my life only recently moving to Rockford. Still poke around that area on occasion. The parks in that area are some of the best kept secrets.

IMG_372844749181327_zps1cd62a34.jpg

oldestof11

Observer
My wife loves visiting Rock Cut, Stronghold, White Pines, and Lowell Park. She's artsy and not much an outdoors woman.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
have you done much exploring in Michigan's Upper Peninsula?

Thinking about heading that way late summer next year for a week or so and looking for some first hand knowledge

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yeah I've gone every August the past 5 years. Great place to explore and camp.

http://upoverland.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2094

Awesome, we are probably going early September, between the Upper Peninsula, Maine and West Virginia right now. Michigan has really sparked an interest lately with me....

I will probably bug you closer to the date for some more specific info (you're thread from club xterra is a great resource, thanks)

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah no problem, I've got quite a few GPS tracks. I'll likely be forming another trip next August as well. The fall is the best time to go. In September the water may be a little to chilled to swim. But, the bugs won't be a problem. Should be rather scenic as well. Its a great place definitely worth a tour if your in the area.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
awesome, its about a 7-8 hour trip for us (as is WV and ME).

Looks like there is lots of room to explore up there, shouldn't be an issue filling a week.

I like late August/September for the reasons you mentioned, the only disadvantages are the colder water temperatures and less day light then you would get in June/July. Ill trade a bit less light for less bugs though, any day

Silver dude

Xplorer
Finally upgraded my bike rack. Took a little custom fabrication but I could not possibly be happier with the end result.
IMG_20151119_140100_zpskt9amibw.jpg

Lots of departure angle, zero bike movement. Doesn't block the license plate or tail lights. Going to be awesome on the trails this year.
IMG_20151119_141734_zpsxhw1jf0m.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Haha that last pic makes it look like you're running a BFG AT on the front of your bike!!

Looks great though, and looks like you lose a very minimal amount of departure angle. Nice work.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Thanks after that last trip to Colorado with $1500 bikes clacking into each other something had to be done. My buddies fork pretty well grounded into my rear cassette.

IMG_20151122_162834_zpsuvhuxl9x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal