Silvers Xterra Build Thread

Xterabl

Adventurer
Great, thanks for the advice.
I have a manual trans so I guess TCase gears wins out.
I also like that it is much more "set & forget" compared to an air locker.
Having said that...I DO already have a very reliable (10-year proven) OBA system, which lowers the cost and increases reliability of air locker. Sigh.
Time for eeny-meeny-minie-mo, I gues....

Silver dude

Xplorer
Found some more pictures.

winch installed, custom license plate brackets.
20130126_164332_zps2fcff3cd.jpg

Diehard Justice
2011-09-05_14-18-42_306.jpg

Morimoto HID projectors custom fit into eagle eye housings.
P1020784.jpg

Transfer case from a pathfinder (wider chain)
P1020180.jpg

Fabricating a gas tank skid.
DSC00051.jpg

Fox emulsion shocks with SLR hoops. Hardbody manual locking hubs
20130422_181724_zps48d0fe7e.jpg

Thanks for all the comments!

Last edited:

andrewh

/dev/4wd
See you replaced the positive cable, whole thing or just the connector. If the whole thing, how did you loop in the alternator health plug? what ends are those, they are pretty clean looking

Silver dude

Xplorer
What model is the diehard battery? Did it fit into the stock location/mount okay?
Was the biggest one they sell group 65 I believe Yeah its tight but it fits like a glove. I removed the plastic battery tray and dropped the battery in.

See you replaced the positive cable, whole thing or just the connector. If the whole thing, how did you loop in the alternator health plug? what ends are those, they are pretty clean looking
Just replaced the terminals. I considered a rewire as I am running the 125amp Nissan Quest alternator. In the end though works well like it is. The terminals are Stinger brand. I found them on ebay I've been very happy with them. The positive wire I cut then inserted into the terminal. The negative terminal I cut the terminal and bolted it to the new terminal. The rest of the wires are for the winch.

I installed the winch solenoid underhood.
xterrass023.jpg

Silver dude

Xplorer
If you're browsing thru the Sept issue of 4Wheel drive & sport utility magazine. You'll see my Xterra with my brother hanging out the window. Great article on the UP.
xamag_zps3c3a0b7f.jpg

DSC00955_zps6cd6b907.jpg

I also upgraded to 33X10.50X15 BFG all terrains. Got a great deal locally $135 a tire under $700 out the door. Just waiting for them to come in.

Picked up some steel to complete my Jerry can mount. I think I'm going to weld a 1 1/4 hitch tube to the tire carrier arm. Then mount the gas tank to 1 1/4 tube. That way if in the future I want a additional accessory in its place its a rather easy to install.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Finished the Jerry can mount today.
20130728_162940_zps07420050.jpg

20130728_162930_zpsa28f6f18.jpg

One flaw... didn't think about clearance to the opening door.
20130728_165419_zps6d825b34.jpg

So back to the drawing board. I'm thinking if I neck it out 6" further back it should clear.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I really like your X- functional and without the excess weight/bling. Nicely done! :)

RonapRhys

Adventurer
One point about the lock, too - does it have some sort of plug or a similar device to prevent water and nastiness from getting down into the lock cylinder? I'm thinking that if not it might be a ***** to get off in the winter.

Saline

Adventurer
I made a similar mount for my gas can on my Xterra. I have the Calmini rear bumper (POS btw).
I mounted the can on a swing arm so you can swing it out of the way and then open the tire carrier. It allows the can to clear the side of the X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal