Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I already have that set up, suburban hot water heater, 6 gallons, and outdoor shower in driver side at the rear above the generator, enclouser also for shower and potty.

Going wider on the box as it seems most want a queen sized bed, I do not think necessary with tempurpedic type mattress, but the customer is always right. Will most likely offer it both ways. The trailer will stay the same size, just more use of the frame so to speak.

Most bedrooms have a bathroom within the room or right beside. It would be sealed and vented. But I understand what you are saying. It would not be a huge size by any means, but mommy would not have to go outside. Still do not know if it is possible, I will draw it up and make a box to see if it is feasable. Cardboard is your friend. Measurements mean little when actually using.

Keep the comments coming, I truly appreciate them.

Read over the build part and the list of standard features, that will give you an idea of what is there and what might be added.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Ronner, I totally agree with your comments, weight is a factor, as the name for it is base camp. It weighs 2000 pounds plus fully loaded, but is stable enough to do any trail current box trailers can do, It actually has a lower center of gravity than my box expedition trailers do. 22 gallons of water just above the axle, below the floor. The heaviest thing above the floor would be the water heater, the batteries are directly above and behind the axle. Tip over factor is far less than any of the current box type trailers, all manufactureres included. Width on the Rubicon would be a problem, but John Bull is doable with it.

I built the origianl for the exact same reasons you mentioned, protection of the sides from rocks, trees and to carry stuff on. If I do just the conversion for the queen mattress, the box would be 5 inches wider on each side, still 10 inches of loading space and safe area so to speak left on each side. Your thoughts are exactly what mine were when building the first proto.

But comments about a queen sized bed pop up every single time it seems. Patti and I have slept in it many times now, still wider than a roof top tent. But we are all comfort hounds I guess.

You are in LA, I would be more than willing for you and your wife to take it for a weekend. I think you would be truly surprised. It actuallly gives me better gas mileage than my box trailer, much more aerodynamic.

I originally built this for my wife, who absolutely hates my box trailers, hates the tent, the ladder, the tiny little pretend kitchen, security, warmth, quietness. In three years with a AT type trailer she went camping three times and pretty much made the weekend hell. She has been out in this 10 plus time in the 4 months it has been operational, always willing to go and never hear a word about this is bad, this sucks, take that ladder and shove it, and assorted other comments. It has made my camping/off roading life way more enjoyable.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
Bob, sound like your trailer project is coming together. Amazing considering its been less than a year since the FJ Cruiser summit you mentioned you were going to build a new style trailer.

I would not want a inside potty myself, but I'am sure there are plenty of others who would. Make it an option for those who do, make it extra storage space for those who do not. Also a queen size bed would be nice but not totally needed for us either. Our first teardrop was a 4' wide and was tight inside (it helps to really like the other person your with) but we did enjoy it, celebrated our 25th anniversary @ Yellowstone in it. The new teardrop is 4' 6" wide and although 6" doesn't sound like a lot, it really makes a big difference for inside space. I believe to get to a queen size bed the cabin needs to be 60" wide, which start to make for a wide trailer for smaller tow rigs. The upside to wider cabins is the kitchen gets bigger also=more counter space, women like counter space. I like the rock sliders/steps your trailer has, very important for trailers that are going to do hard core trails IMO.

All in all I really like what you have built and looking forward to seeing it in person.

Septu

Explorer
I don't see how the inside potty would really work with your size. Couple things you might consider though. Some of these are idea's I saw on StomperXJ's Sawtooth and other TD's that I've seen on this site and others over the last couple of weeks.

- 2nd door on drivers side (could put potty tent over there?). Would have to make window on drivers side smaller. Means people don't have to crawl over one another to get in/out.
- window on front of trailer (would likely need some sort of hard cover to protect from rocks, etc while traveling)
- under bed storage
- an interior table - perhaps a partitioned mattress with some sort of fold down table so you're not sitting straight legged (although this would affect your choice of mattress - see attached image). Any sort of interior table setup (even if it's just hanging off the wall) would give more flexibility.
- pass through between kitchen and sleeping compartment (not sure if the original had one or not).
- wider base to partially extend over fenders. Not sure if you would taper it going up, or have room for some very small shelves along the sides. But this would give you a slightly wider interior. If not tapered see sawtooth design (re how body extends over wheel wells to give more width inside).
- shelf at head/front of trailer (look at the sawtooth image below (sawtooth by StomperXJ - very well done btw)
- water proof enclosure from rear of fender to bumper (kind of like your box on top of the fender well in the pics in this thread, but extending straight back, with the access door on the side). This would allow one to put some sort of attachable table/counter along the side above this box (like how Serria4x4trailers has their optional counter).
- some sort of pullout shelve/countertop in the kitchen (pulls out at a right angle to current countertop). Or maybe not a pullout (although this is easiest), but one that attaches after the fact.
- pop up top - anything really that gives more headroom. Look at the expo camping trailer (link below). I'm not sure I'd do the flip type with a bed, but something like the VW van style pop up (either straight up or angled/hinged on either the back or side). But even if it just gives enough room for one to stand upright inside would allow for some more options.

If you did do something similar to the expo trailer linked below (with the full queen size bed in the tent), then one could really go crazy with the interior (kitchen, potty, table, etc). Again IF you did that style, then putting a full bench inside would allow for one to sleep on the bench without opening the top. However all that being said, that really really changes the design (and likely cost/weight/etc).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...icial-XpoTRAIL©-Extreme-OffRoad-Camper-Thread (expo camping trailer)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/stomperxj/SawTooth XL/SawtoothXL-skeletontop-sm.jpg (sawtooth - won't let me post the image)
drawning.jpg

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
A lot of great ideas given, I have responded with what my thougths were when building, then in the next couple of days will draw out your suggestions and see what happen.

Gut feelings response.

The number one feature of the trailer, in my wife's opinion is the tempurpedic mattress, she would never give that up. I have thought about the VW top, actually went and looked at one, and discussed the fiberglass top for it. but then you are walking on the mattress, eating in your bed. I am not sure where to go with that. The trailer at its highest point from floor is 52 inches so it has plenty of head room, the potty maybe possible, have not really looked at it.

Plans for a front shelf are in the works, but doubtfull I can place a table on the inside.

Second door, eliminates the use of the outside shelves/frame base expanded metal area. Or it would have to be unpacked before it could be used, which is not a huge draw back.

The current plan without potty is 5 inches wider one each side, making a compartment under the mattress which would be at wheel well heigth. This gives me about 13 inches of space below the mattress, but requires a smaller door for entrance I think, going off of memory here. The front of the trailer will have less rake than it does on this trailer, that allows for the shelf and the door to be larger.

The problem with putting the mattress on a hinged deck to load below it, is quite that the mattress is quite heavy, making problems and requirement of gas struts to lift it, and it raises the center of gravity by a foot, not good.

I could go with smaller wheels and tires, more cookie cutter, but that destroys the tough traill capabilities of it.

I will need to just set down and look at what I can do. Very hard to put a bench along the side as the doors take up most of the room on the side,

I have a quite a bit of room inside for storage on the uper sides, just did not put them in due to I wanted to truly see how much room I had, I bang my head on everything and steel is not fun in the middle of the night. We also lose 8 inchs due to the mattress.

Thank you for the taking the time to post your ideas, great food for thought.

Bob

Last edited:

rockman

Adventurer
Bob ... have a look at these ...http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/ the ' t-van ' from over here , some great idea's .
Rear hatch opening ... you dont climb over wife to get out / ready made bed
Kitchen slides out from one side
Fridge at the front in box
Potty in inside ... I would not like to sleep in the bed after a big night of the beer ... outside canvas enclosure
Genset enclosed in side box
Stone guard to protect your trailer ...http://www.stonestomper.com.au/ ... works a treat , no stone chips at all
Front mounted spare tyre

Some idea's to through around .

Cheers Jim

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
upgrades

Rockman,

Fortunately the RV company likes the current design, just wants to see the wider version of what I have made. So I have to live inside that platform I think.

I most likely will go with the second side door, and put two small windows behind them. On the the driver side I was carrying the sewer water container(grey). I can put that under the trailer I am sure. As I do not want to vary too much from what I have shown them. The Potty was my idea, so it is not a requirement by any means.

It seems we are split 50/50 on potty inside. I am somewhat against the top being open due to leakage, people walking on a thousand dollar mattress. But I see the advantages of it to. I will most likely add a roof top tent for those with kids or needing that extra space. Adding a roof top tent does away with the AC though.

I will get into the shop tonight and draw it all up and see what I can do and can not do.

Thanks again to all that have commented. I will look seriously at all ideas.

Keep them coming.

ronner

Bob,
Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it at some point. When I can get the wife out again, I will contact you.
I was also thinking like Septu, that a slide out table or counter at right angle to the kitchen would be great.
It would also be nice if the fridge could be accessed from the interior (doesn't look like there is access currently).
Best,
Ron

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Rockman,

Adding a roof top tent does away with the AC though.

I will get into the shop tonight and draw it all up and see what I can do and can not do.

Thanks again to all that have commented. I will look seriously at all ideas.

Keep them coming.
Man there are other ways to mount the AC......redneck_air_conditioning_01.jpg

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
We have a winner

There you go Bobdog, anything can be done, and it fits right with the lines. Tell me that is not in Nebraska!!!!!

Unfortunately I can not access the fridge from the inside, there is only so much room. Putting it sideways takes up so much room underneath the counter, I actually looked at that when I first started putting things together. I have to use the dometic fridge due to the space I have. Also the mattress being 8 inches thick causes a problem with sliding it in. It would have to be 8 inches higher in the back. And with 35 inch tires the trailer sets at 26 inches now.

If you look at the passenger side pictures you will see two little nubs, they are for a counter made by Tulle. I am stillworking on making it stable, as I had to cut off one of the legs, need to play with it, but just have not had time. We have a small table that goes behind the table that Patti uses for setting things on and there is some cabinet space as the sink has a cutting board cover. Not complaints from mama so far.
but swing out or drop in on the corner could be done quite easily I think.

Pikeman

Adventurer
I am sure any new changes will be a winner and only make the current design better. It is hard for me to give input from pictures as am better if I can see it up close, that and I have very minimal experience as of now. I would like to head up your way on of these days to check it out and offer any input I can, and pick your brain on ideas I have for my box trailer.

Old Sarge

Observer
Bob, for new ideals. What about a slide out, similar to the RV's to give more elbow room when you are in for the night? This could accommodate additional storage, built in's, wet bar....you get the ideal!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
We have a popup with sides if needed. But that is the same on any tear drop. I learned to day I need some type of locking device to keep the back door from coming down in the wind. Will work on that his weekend hopefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach