Skinny or wide tires; that is the question...

thethePete

Explorer
^ That's all relative. In situations where there is a hard surface you can dig to, a skinny tire wins. When you need floatation, ie snow that is more than 4' deep, or soft sand, wide tires win, but that's a floatation situation, not necessarily a matter of traction, but lowering your psi to the tread face as much as possible.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
My 110 came with seven brand new military Michelin XZLs in the old 7.50 x 16 size...which is a tall, skinny tire. I have covered about 40,000 miles on them now including lots of highway, some Rocky mountains tracks in Alberta, the Spanish Pyrenees and two trips to Morocco so far. I do find them noisy and are not great a stopping on wet pavement but off road they are brilliant. When they finally wear out I will look for something tall, skinny and as similar as I can get.
View attachment 332351

great rig!! Thanks for your input :)

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Your truck looks great. I went 235 and it took a little getting used to but I love it now. Grips great as far as I'm concerned. Give your new shoes a good workout and I'm sure you won't regret the purchase.

b01ea3b897474e4135db6312367f8738.jpg
6af28dbacb910c70ba47c6c4eb4c4eee.jpg

What kind of tires are those? and yes, I think I just need to get used to them.

jklewer

That's what I just put on (ko2). Yours looked different for some reason. Do you like them?

Brother, I love them. Honestly it cut down the amount I have to throw it in 4 to the point where I choose harder trails just to give the truck a workout :)

bkg

Explorer
I think he means he was on a steep hillside and the skinny tire was pushed off the bead by the lateral force. Weight of the vehicle makes it want to slide down the hill sideways, but with tires dug in... I can imagine it.

How low were you aired down at the time Godwin? I'm thinking of putting some Coopers on my Tacoma in 235/85. According to their website the tire is 10" wide, which is wider than most 235's.

There shouldn't be any real difference between skinny and wide on bead loss... In theory, at least.

GodwinAustin

I think he means he was on a steep hillside and the skinny tire was pushed off the bead by the lateral force. Weight of the vehicle makes it want to slide down the hill sideways, but with tires dug in... I can imagine it.

How low were you aired down at the time Godwin? I'm thinking of putting some Coopers on my Tacoma in 235/85. According to their website the tire is 10" wide, which is wider than most 235's.

Not getting pushed off the bead, just lateral slip, kind of like if you when you try and turn a road bike on a snow covered road. I was not aired down. Best example I can remember is going through a corner on a snowy road, where I would get lateral slip with the skinnier tires, where I didnt have any before with a wider tire. Not sure why that is.

I loved running the 33x9.5s though.

p nut

butter
Not getting pushed off the bead, just lateral slip, kind of like if you when you try and turn a road bike on a snow covered road. I was not aired down. Best example I can remember is going through a corner on a snowy road, where I would get lateral slip with the skinnier tires, where I didnt have any before with a wider tire. Not sure why that is.

Same experience for me. (235 vs 265). Puckering moments for sure.

It really all depends on the type of driving you do. If you do a lot of deep snow or deep mud driving, wider is better. If not, even in the rocks, skinnier is the way to go.

My Rover has been running skinny tires since I built it and it does everything I want it to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77