Sleeping Inside a SIIa 88 Land Rover

Correus

Adventurer
Heya Everyone!

This is a cross post from the Camping Equipment section so I hope that's okay; just thought it might be a good idea to post here as well.

I have a '63 SIIa 88 LR. I have been playing around with various ideas for creating a fold-out sleeping platform that could be used inside a SIIa 88. Then a thought entered the 'ol noggin - maybe someone else has done this.

So - have any of you come up with a sleeping type platform that will fit inside a Series 88? If so, I'd love to see some pics and know what you came up with.

Thanks!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
In the 80's I knew a guy in Vermont who was building a cabin way up in the backwoods. He fashioned some brackets on the tub, bulkhead and dash so he could use a piece of plywood. As I recall it was hinged lengthways so it would open to make a fairly normal width platform and a piece inserted at the front of the tub that was also supported by the bulkhead at the dash.

I also knew a guy who had a homemade dormobile type roof. He made a subframe about 2 or 3" high that fit between the roof and sides, the the roof installed, hinged at the windscreen. It had triangular fabric sides and a rear panel so when lifted from the rear, and held up with supports, it was enclosed. It had plywood sleeping platform at the bottom of the subframe.

madp

This was the set up my dad and his best friend used for a two year trip around the outback of Australia in a Series 1 80"
It was two folding cots supported by the chain in the front and the tailgate in the rear. It seemed to work pretty well for them.
428957_10150499021530216_1955716238_n.jpg

JackW

Explorer
Ex-Tec in Germany used to supply this neat little extension so you could sleep crossways in the back:

I used to have a hinged platform with a fold down legs that would rest on the floorboard and the rear floor with the bulkhead providing the main support.

Attachments

• 9084_Def_Zeltklappe.jpg
    9084_Def_Zeltklappe.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 536

Steve UK

Adventurer
Ex-Tec in Germany used to supply this neat little extension so you could sleep crossways in the back:

I used to have a hinged platform with a fold down legs that would rest on the floorboard and the rear floor with the bulkhead providing the main support.

Ohh I like that, despite my amazing Google skills I can find no more info? Can you tell more please :)

Steve

Correus

Adventurer
Thanks fpr the help and keep the info coming!!!

This was the set up my dad and his best friend used for a two year trip around the outback of Australia in a Series 1 80"
It was two folding cots supported by the chain in the front and the tailgate in the rear. It seemed to work pretty well for them.
View attachment 147830

madp - Awesome pic!!! I had wondered about something like this, but for one, two would be perfect though! Any idea what the chains are attached to up at the roof? Is there some sort of roll bar? I have no idea about it but it seems to me the roof would be too weak to support the weight at one point. Any additional info would be appreciated!

madp

Glad you like the picture. I have about 30 of them from his trip and they are a real treasure and great source of inspiration for my current project.
It is kind of a cool story, back in '69-'70 my dad and his best friend did two years around Australia, after that my dad moved to the states and had to leave the Landy behind. He passed away a while back, and my brother was able in track it down and import it, in much the same condition it was in the pictures.

Anyway, back to the rack.
It had a custom soft top and soft top support, made from what I think is a fence post material. They must have had some sort of bracket for them to clip into.From my experience the Standard Series Hard top is pretty stout. I think that if you spread out the mounting points and made a large attachment area for the bracket a standard Series hard top could support a cot.

While I don't have any specific photos of the the set up, here is one of the soft top support and their normal camp set up. I hope that helps.

P1130178.jpg
Camp_set.jpg

Red90

Adventurer
There is a guy up hear with a custom extension for his 90

Rover_Ranch_2010_2.jpg

Bills_New_Tent.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism