Slide In / Demountable Camper Attachment Methods

CJV8

We're currently working on a design for a slide in camper for our Toyota Hilux, however the attachment of the camper to the truck bed is causing some head-scratching.

All the designs I've looked at use either hooks, chains and turnbuckles, or ratchet straps to attached to the tie-down points in the truck bed. Most campers have quite large voids along the sides which allow access, however I'm hoping to maximise the bed space as best as possible, which means I'd like the camper sitting close to or on top of the bed sides, and this in turn means access to secure the camper can be from the inside. That's fine in itself as removeable panels can be made, however on the Hilux the 4 tie-down points are quite high up meaning the camper end of the tie-down needs to be quite high in order to allow sufficient length for the hooks and turnbuckles etc, and this then eats into the space I'm hoping to maximise.

Are there any alternative attachment methods people have seen or used? Options I'm considering are having a pin and receiver arrangement for the front of the camper, so as the camper is installed it needs to be sat on the bed and push forward so the pin locates in the receiver. Access to the rear tie-downs is much easier, so a more usual means of attachment can be used. The other idea is to fabricate new attachments for the bed that secure to the tie-down point threads, but then provide much lower tie-down points to allow the use of hooks, chains and turnbuckles etc.

Appoligies for the thinking out loud tone of the post, I may not be explaining things very well. It may be that I need to accept some loss of space to accomodate suitable attachments, after all a space efficient camper is little use if it detaches itself... Just thought I'd see what other ideas, if any, are out there.

Edited to add: Just in case it's relevant, the camper design will be something along the lines of an Alu-Cab Khaya or Gazell in terms of size and shape, constructed from an angle section exoskeleton with bonded in composite panels, so I'd expect weight to be in the 250 - 400kg range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3