Slowing down and having fun. Back to Montana with ROF September 2024

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Plan B.

The decision to write off two days and nights camping at Fred Burr Lake left us in a bit of a conundrum. The best thing to do, it was decided, would be to continue on the planned route to our next campsite somewhere along the Wise River in the Pioneer Mountains. The convoy took off past Phillipsburg, south around Georgetown Lake, and east through Anaconda. Just past Anaconda we veered south on a quiet asphalt road leading ultimately to Wise River. Again the road turned out to be tranquil and leisurely.

IMG_3969.jpeg

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
The Wise River runs from south to north through the center of the Pioneer Mountains. The USFS has at least six developed campgrounds along the river, plus one could explore any one of the many gravel roads leading off the main route to find disbursed camping within this magnificent area. The day was getting long, and we were all getting a bit saddle sore from being in our vehicles for so long. Fortunately we located excellent camping at the second campground we stopped to check. There are numerous campsites, each with an asphalt parking spot. Although there were several others camping at this campground we found excellent sites pretty much adjacent to one another.

This camping area was superb! Although there was a bit of smoke from forests burning nearby, it never became overwhelming. In fact, most of the time spent there had clear skies and fresh air surrounding us. We spent two days there and I could have stayed longer.

IMG_3970.jpeg

1f2a60d8-29d7-4b93-b479-2905afeb6ce2.jpeg

IMG_3987.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
While most of us lazed about our campsites, David and Ben went exploring. I had located several disbursed campsites in my research for this trip. The two adventurers wanted to check them out to determine whether they would be better than our present location. Upon return they described the sites and we agreed that where we were was preferable. I took the occasion of their absence to walk around a bit, taking pictures and sucking in the natural beauty of this location.

b616d0a6-a6aa-40bc-b9e9-164f81681744.jpegIMG_0730.jpeg

The rectangular conatiner in front of our tent is a bearproof food safe. Must be in grizzly country!​

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
DAY FIVE:

This was primarily a stay in camp and chat day. I have to admit that Nancy's slow down and enjoy the scenery request was paying big dividends for all of us, but especially for me. i haven't felt this relaxed on a trip like this in years. Ben, David's brother is turning out to be a great travel companion. Where David is serious and happy Ben is a born comic. Sitting in a circle, telling stories, and just generally having fun tied this group of friends even closer together.

IMG_0739.jpeg

Bella is a pretty laid back pup. Really getting into camp life, and not yet 2 y.o.​

IMG_3995.jpeg

This is how poor Ben has to camp out. Dang thing has a hardwood floor in it!
While David's camper hails from South Africa, Ben's made it's way here from Australia.​

Debbie let us know that this was the day she would have to leave the group. She is building a new home and all the sudden requests for paint colors, tile, architectural modifications, etc., was forcing her to head home. This was really too bad. Debbie and Mercy are superb travel companions. But we know we'll be doing this again in the future. So we all hope to be back again with those two soon!

IMG_3872.jpeg

See you again soon, Deb!

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
DAY FIVE continued:

Nanc has always had a fondness for VW Westfallias. I always thought a Synco Westfallia would be something fun to play with too! So guess what shows up near our camp? Yup. The owner is a retired mechanic who stripped this one down to the bare bones and rebuild everything. Final step was the paint job. I doubt if I'd attempt some of the two tracks we typically drive in this thing, but it sure would be fun to take on vacation down the west coast some time.

IMG_3985.jpeg

I should include David's Conqueror so you can see how it compares to Ben's palace, I mean trailer. (Will include a better pic around Day 6 or 7.)

IMG_3994.jpeg

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
DAY SIX: Back on the road, but not ending up where we thought...

After getting everything packed up, we headed out for another day's adventures. And it turned out to be an adventurous day indeed. Our route would be first south to Dillon, the northeast to Twin Bridges, then southeast to Sheridan, and finally up a gravel USFS road to Branham Lakes where we planned to spend a couple nights disbursed camping. So that was the plan.

The road to Dillon was originally a bit windy up and over a low pass after which it turned into another smooth, scenic Montana hidden gem. Shortly after cresting the pass we started to run into some young Montana beauties strolling, or just standing still, on the road.

IMG_0741.jpegIMG_0740.jpeg

We also started picking up more smoke down in the valleys we passed through. This was a bit of a concern for now. We stopped in Dillon for a great lunch and groceries, then headed toward Twin Bridges. This area is mostly flat and agricultural. The roads are smooth and traffic was minimal. The same is true between Twin Bridges and Sheridan.

At Sheridan we turned east on a gravel road and started gaining elevation. Initially the road was in good shape, but the further along we went, the rougher the road surface became. Nanc has a neat 45 second video of her total appreciation of the road conditions, but unfortunately I can't upload it here. It sorta sounds like she is gargling with gravel in her mouth.

A ways further we passed a USFS hotshot crew campsite. Um, not a good sign, but we continued to press forward. Off on either side of the road we passed side roads and areas that could possibly make good disbursed campsites. We passed these and continued up the road toward our destination, Branham Lakes.

Within 10 miles of our destination a small forest fire became visible on the west side of the valley. This was right above the lakes we wanted to get to. Decision time once more. Gary and Ace again volunteered to scout out the site and get back to us on the radio. They soon let us know that the area was beautiful, but there definitely was an issue with smoke and the potential for the fire to move toward the camp sites. Also, a group of local folks was already up there having a pretty good party.

After a bit of a discussion, David & Terri, Ben, and Nanc and I decided to go back down the road and locate an alternate campsite away from the fire. Gary and Ace decided to camp out up by the lakes for the night.

One the way down we had several locals drive by us on their apparent way to the festivities at the lakes. One vehicle was an older two wheel drive Dodge pickup with the bed filled with coolers. The second was an older Subaru Forrester with a young couple and their youngsters bouncing madly around us. That was a nice eye opener. Here we were in expensively upgraded overlanding vehicles watching a couple of dilapidated vehicles successfully getting to where we had wanted to go. I still want to overland in my 4Runner and not beat it to death like they were doing. To each his own.

IMG_0757.jpegIMG_0756.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC