Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat cover Review

Willman

Just got a pair of Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat covers. When i first opened the box and layed everything on the floor...these babies are some stout covers! The material is made out of denier polyester which gives it great heavy duty quality. One GEAR cover comes with the seat cover & 7 bags. They come in three different colors....Tan, black, & olive green.

DSC04497.jpg

They attach using a few pieces of material with snap buttons to hold them to the back or front of the GEAR cover.

DSC04498.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

Their is one con to the GEAR covers.....They don't cover the whole seat. Well that is a easy fix. ARB use to some great covers that are fairly priced and get the job done. Any light weight cover from your local auto parts store could work. Or....If you have a handy wife that can sew....I'm sure a trip to the fabric store could do the trick too!

DSC04424.jpg

It took me about 45 minutes to get to them install. The hook straps hold the bottom in place. Be careful to place them where your seat rails are not going to tear them apart. These seat covers are not compatible with vehicles that have side air bags built into seat.

DSC04505.jpg

Then afterwards I had fun placing the bags in different locations. The great thing about these GEAR covers is that they have three other locations in the front of the seat to install bags. You can also mount these bags to your back-pack or even you belt.

DSC04503.jpg

The GEAR covers provide a lot of storage space to clean the look of your rig inside. My wife was pumped to see all the added storage to the Tacoma. Having a young family....It is always nice to have more places to put things.

DSC04500.jpg

Overall......I'm very happy with the outcome. This mod made traveling for my wife and little one a lot more organized. I love how the covers come with an American flag patch. The flag and material of the covers give it a military feel that I like. The GEAR covers are worth their weight and gold. I only wish that the GEAR seat cover...covered the whole seat..... I now have 14 new areas to store my stuff.....Now...where did i put my knife???....J/K!

DSC04502.jpg

sierra_expeditions.gif

:)

Last edited:

scottg

Observer
awesome.

the more detailed pics really helped me on my decision

these are definetly on my buy list

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Nice!

One minor note, the pockets will be a little more secure if you use all the loops. The loops on the back of the pockets are offset so that they fit between the loops on the seat cover. If you lace 'em the way the military does, only the ends of the straps are exposed. Does that make sense?

Willman

Thanks guys for the kind words!

I'm very pumped about all my new storage!!!

Lynn said:
Nice!

One minor note, the pockets will be a little more secure if you use all the loops. The loops on the back of the pockets are offset so that they fit between the loops on the seat cover. If you lace 'em the way the military does, only the ends of the straps are exposed. Does that make sense?

I hooped the bags as far as the strap would let me....Some bags would hit right on a hoop when you go to button it on.....so I would just go to the next hoop (note: The bags that did this already had 2-3 hoops....so the 4th was a bonus..)....no big deal.......The bags hold just fine!

;)

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Again, this is really minor, but I evidently didn't explain myself well the first time, so I have to try again... That's just the way I am. :) And, yes, I'm sure that the bags fit just fine. But I'm a little OC....

See those unused loops on the back of the knife pouch?

Willman said:

They're not 'extras.' The strap is supposed to double back and pass through those, as well. The strap is supposed to go through one loop on the seat cover, then through one loop on the pouch, then through the second loop on the seat cover, then through the second loop on the pouch, and on and on and on...

Again, it doesn't make spits worth of difference for your application, but if you do lace the strap through those other loops, it will hold your gear a little tighter. You won't be able to pull the pouch out and take a picture like that.

But is it worth the extra trouble? I doubt it. ;)

Last edited:

Willman

Lynn said:
Again, this is really minor, but I evidently didn't explain myself well the first time, so I have to try again... That's just the way I am. :) And, yes, I'm sure that the bags fit just fine. But I'm a little OC....

See those unused loops on the back of the knife pouch?

They're not 'extras.' The strap is supposed to double back and pass through those, as well. The strap is supposed to go through one loop on the seat cover, then through one loop on the pouch, then through the second loop on the seat cover, then through the second loop on the pouch, and on and on and on...

Again, it doesn't make spits worth of difference for your application, but if you do lace the strap through those other loops, it will hold your gear a little tighter. You won't be able to pull the pouch out and take a picture like that.

But is it worth the extra trouble? I doubt it. ;)

Great infor!!!!

Thanks for explaining!!!

Doing it that way would make it even more stronger!!!....I like it!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Great review :luxhello:

Pete

P.S... your floor mats: way too clean. I have my drivers and rear bench sitting on the garage floor right now. I actually found a french fry under there along with half a pound of gravel...

Just thought I would throw my 2cents in...

Loved the seat covers, just did not fit Rubicon seats and could not fold rear seat forward without hitting. Had to sell them.

Willman

mountainpete said:
P.S... your floor mats: way too clean. I have my drivers and rear bench sitting on the garage floor right now. I actually found a french fry under there along with half a pound of gravel...

Not too many people sit back there.......My little one is usually the only one but in a car seat....My front floors mats are a different story....

:sombrero:

kjp1969

Explorer
How do they do weighted down with gear? I was wondering if the extra weight on the back of the seat cover would pull it away from the front of the seat.

One killer improvement I could think of would be to make the seat back seperate from the seat and double as a bug out bag.

Scott Brady

Founder
Expedition Pictures said:
cool, thanks for the review and detailed photos.

anyone here have these on their disco?

They might work ok on the Disco. Overall, I was not impressed with the fitment to my Tacoma. Without a securing connection at the back of the seat base, they would frequently slide out of position, bunch up, etc. Combined with the fact that the seat bottom has insufficient coverage and the "slippery" nylon effect on more "spirited" driving, I elected not to review the covers in detail, or recommend them.

I really liked them in person (on a Jeep seat at SEMA), and they are really close with some minor tweaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy