Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Looks like my drawer will be dropped off today! They're quick, I just sent them my address yesterday!

On the tongue reinforcement they said it should be completed any day now and then they will start sending them out.

McDowra

Observer
How do you wire a trailer battery to charge off of vehicle? I could use a picture or two if someone would be so kind.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
How do you wire a second battery to charge off of vehicle? I could use a picture or to if someone would be so kind.

You just want to install a battery to be charged by the vehicle. ?
Are you not currently charging the battery from the vehicle?
What will the battery be connected to?
If you share a bit more info, then I am sure we can get you going.

The 7 pin plug has a positive lead that runs to the break away system. inside that system is a charging circuit for the internal battery. If you are loking at adding a battery andlooking to charge it , you will need to run acharge controller and depending on the amps, you might be able to run it off the + lead from the trailer plug.

McDowra

Observer
You just want to install a battery to be charged by the vehicle. ?
Are you not currently charging the battery from the vehicle?
What will the battery be connected to?
If you share a bit more info, then I am sure we can get you going.

Our Landcruiser has dual batteries with a isolater, I would like to connect the battery in the tongue box on the trailer to the Auxillary battery on the Landcruiser. Currently, the small battery for the brakes is charged by the vehicle thru my Auxillary battery. Eventually, I will get solar panels and would love to charge both at the same time.

Kraxler

Got a reply from Smittybilt today on the drawer snafu. He was not aware that the warehouse still had some old ones in stock. They are sending a new one, hopefully the correct one.

Ordered from Northridge bothe the Smittybuilt RTT in XL size and also the anex. More mods to do.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Our Landcruiser has dual batteries with a isolater, I would like to connect the battery in the tongue box on the trailer to the Auxillary battery on the Landcruiser. Currently, the small battery for the brakes is charged by the vehicle thru my Auxillary battery. Eventually, I will get solar panels and would love to charge both at the same time.

If you want any of the trailer batteries (big and small) charged by your vehicle, I would suggest just using the already there, charging wire, rather than fishing a separate wire from your second vehicle battery. If you did that you would have to get a separate connector, and as you are already charging the big trailer battery. I can see the benefit by connecting the cruisers aux and the tongue battery, as you now have more power, but as you shut off the car, the voltage drops on your cruiser, and long cable runs may not balance out very well between your tongue, and aux cruiser battery. As long as your cruisers charging voltage is 1 to 1.5 volts higher than your tongue battery then it will charge, but if say your cruisers aux battery begins to draw down faster than the tongue box battery, then that battery would actually try to charge the cruisers aux battery, and you would loose energy. So, when paralleling banks, you generally would use very heavy gauge cables, and have them close to each other.
The easiest pathway forward would be to just start the cruiser and let it idle for an hr or two each day to pick up your tongue battery. Mind you that if it is a deep cycle, it could be a bit longer to charge the tongue battery.
A 50 watt solar system would run you about $159 on Amazon, and a 100Watt about $250. They are easy and maintainance free systems, except when camping in overcasts... ha.
All that being said, you can off course just run as thick of a cable from your cruisers aux battery to a plug in the back and connect it to the tongue battery if this really is the way you wanted electrons to wonder.... :) :)

thardin68

I am running the Genesis Dual battery kit with Smart Isolator. In speaking with them and wanting an additional battery or 2 in the trailer, they recommended a simple connector kit they have on their site. their response:

"We do offer a solution for running batteries in your trailer. We make a set of heavy duty quick connect plugs that will tie the trailer batteries into the vehicle. You can run our 20’ cable from the power & ground bus bars to the rear bumper. Then use our 7’ cable from the trailer batteries up to the tongue. When you plug the trailer into the Jeep, your alternator will charge all 4 while you are driving. Once you get to your camp site, you’ll be using all 4 together to run everything. Once they drain down to about 12.7v, the smart isolator will separate the cranking battery and save it for starting the engine later. At this point, the one aux battery under the hood plus the 2 in your trailer are still linked together in parallel, giving you 3 batteries to run everything in your trailer for more run time. Then when you crank the engine, the alternator will charge your cranking battery first. Our system waits to see the crank battery above 13.2v for 2 minutes, then it links the batteries together to charge the aux side. Here’s a link to our quick connect cables"

https://www.genesisoffroad.com/quickconnect-s/102.htm

Thought this sounded pretty slick. The cables are obviously something you could DIY with the connectors of choice.

thardin68

Hi All - Been following this thread since July. We live in Panama and spend a few months a year in the USA. I ordered the trailer through Northridge on July 7th and used the sharktank coupon and had delivered to door for $4,500 (no wheels & tires and arrived in 3 weeks to CT). Very happy with the purchase so far, quality is what I expected from the mfr and price.

I received it at a friends shop and tossed it together in the driveway. Use of his forklift was really nice! Here I am ready to drag it home, partially assembled to continue working in my garage:

Trailer build 1.jpg

I am planning a cross country Overlanding trip next spring and will be towing it with this. Looking forward to getting the crap off the HEEP and sleeping off the ground.

The HEEP.jpg

Here is our planned route: Start in CT and head south in Early May then head north as things heat up. CT to Big bend as quickly as possible but lots of time out west. Planning for 3 to 4 months months. My work is project based with a need to intermittent internet access to submit projects and download documents.
Trip Map 1.jpg

Current purchases in hand:
  • Genesis Dual Battery kit with Odessey batteries in Jeep (just installed this)
  • Sprintex Intercooled SC for the 3.8
  • Predator 3500 Inverter Generator
  • ClimateRight 5000 btu Portable Air Conditioner / heater
  • Dometic Coolfreeze cfx95- dzw
  • Giantex portable 15# washing machine
  • Harbor Freight 2.1 cubic foot tongue boxes (to mount on sides)
  • Clam quick-set escape with optional side panels
  • (4) new Toyo MT 37x13.5r17's (will put 2 best currently on Jeep on the trailer)
  • (2) Raceline beadlocks to match the HEEP
Planned major purchases to finish the build before we head out in May 2019
  • Smittybuilt XL RTT with Annex (waiting for spring to order)
  • Darche 270 Awning with all side panels
  • Deep cycle batteries, MTTP, Inverter, 200 AMP Mono Panels, shore power connection.
  • Water Heater / pump solution for showers
  • Water storage solution (non potable)
  • Jerry Cans for potable water and rotopax on Jeep for fuel.
Planning to hit a number of the major National Parks and do as much Dispersed Camping as possible to set up basecamp and explore. Planning to spend 2 weeks in Moab hitting all the trails I can and a week in Tahoe to do the Rubicon Trail.

I am just beginning the real planning for this trip and looking for any input that anybody is willing to provide. Please inbox me with any suggested itinerary, offers to hook up along the way, etc. I am a complete Newbie, so any constructive criticism is appreciated.

thardin68

Ok... I am very interested.. a washing machine! LOL Post pics. Who does laundry on the trail? :D

LOL, gotta keep the grundies washed. Have seen these in action. AMAZING for a cheap little machine. Its the spin dryer that seals the deal, I cant imagine trying to wring out clothes. Need it for a 3 month trip to be able to pack as light as possible...

You could do some undies and several t-shirts in a load... Perfect low tech camping solution, but not as low tech as a plunger in a bucket......

Washing Machine.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Would love to chat offline (PM) about Big Bend. First stop and planning for 4-5 days there.

Welcome to the other side. With this tires on the Smitty, you can yank that trailer behind ya on most of the funnies in Moab... :) :)
Looks like a fun winter project. Regarding the route, after Carlsbad cavern it might be worth hanging a west in Artesia, through Cloudcroft, NM for the overnight there, then the next day, down the hill to Alamogordo, to see White Sands, NM, then onward.
Anyway post pics as you build moves along, so we can all enjoy. Those HF boxes are made for that trailer. :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater