Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Silverback07

Adventurer
I now have 3 of the new drawers.they keep coming with UPS. Got one installed. Am thinking of removing the locking mechanism to give a little more room for the stove. Ideas on how to keep the drawer closed?

Looks like the reenfocement kit will be arriving on Tuesday. Still waiting on a date for the RTT XL with anex.

I removed my latch mechanism for more stove space as well and used a small latch to secure it.

IMG_9499.jpg

OregonJKU

I now have 3 of the new drawers.they keep coming with UPS. Got one installed. Am thinking of removing the locking mechanism to give a little more room for the stove. Ideas on how to keep the drawer closed?
We modified the latch mechanism by shortening it to get more room for our stove. See my earlier post for pics. Our drawer stays closed and does not slide out by itself even when we are towing the trailer on very uneven terrain.

stokescr

I have installed two of these kits so far. The instructions that were included were a little vague and didn't perfectly match our units because of rolling changes in the production process. Both of the trailers that we have done the reinforcement on had gussets along the drawbar/trailer box mounting flange where the rear flange of the reinforcement bracket is supposed to bolt. The gussets did not allow the reinforcement plate to be bolt as according to the instructions. After talking with Smittybilt and clearing things up, I bolted the bracket in between the box mounting flange and the drawbar. I loosened the four draw bar bolts and the two rear drawbar bolts on each side. Then working on one side first, completely removed the two drawbar flange bolts and spread the drawbar away from the trailer box flange with a small prybar. With space, I inserted the reinforcement flange, removed the prybar and positioned the reinforcement piece in the correct location. Leave all bolts loose until everything is installed, then torque to spec.

View attachment 474871
I have just completed the passenger side install and am having trouble with the driver's side. The outboard corner of the box mounting flange will not separate from the drawbar. It almost looks like it was tack welded but I don't think so. The rest of the flange has separated. I have tried the pry bar that I used on the passenger side and I can't get it to separate. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

Silverback07

Adventurer
Would you mind posting some photos? I have yet to receive my kit and from the photo posted above I am still not 100% sure where this brace is located. I have an idea but not 100% sure.

looks like all they did was bolt on some resi shocks. that extreme shock angle and limited travel before the coil binds makes me appreciate the scout suspension. FYI bilstein 7100 short body shocks would be my choice. ive even had thoughts on some trick bypasses mounted off the area near where the brakes mount to the trailing arm. then a shock hoop above the fender and trim the fender to allow the shock to pass thru it.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I am seriously considering building a Carbon Fiber box taking the place of the front tongue box and the space behind it. Could be a great winter project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach