Smoke coming from EGR valve during smoke test.

youngmontero96sr

Hey guys,
I have a 1996 Montero SR with 194k on it. I recently replaced the MAF and IAC.
I've been having a bit of a rough idle. It'll usually sit between 700-800 and fluctuate by maybe 30 or so rpms and there is a decent amount of vibration. I did a smoke test to check for possible vacuum leaks and noticed a small amount of smoke coming out of the center of the valve. I'm not sure if this is normal for the vehicle or not. There are no codes. I'm also trying to get ready to pass CA smog. And I recently disconnected the battery. I've driven for over 200 miles and the emissions sensors are still incomplete. Does anyone if there is a drive cycle that can speed up this process.

youngmontero96sr

Yeah, I've got a scanner. I use torque pro and than I also used my buddies professional one. I think an issue mat have also been that the negative terminal was a bit loose, so it may have disconnected some time.

youngmontero96sr

I cleaned the egr valve which was pretty dirty. And the idle dropped in park to 700ish with about +/- 30 rpms fluctuation. I'll check the fuel trims and post them tomorrow. I'm a bit of a noob in that area.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I’ve never done a smoke test, any idea how much pressure is involved? Psi? Your trim numbers aren’t horrible but I could see a rough idle from that, small vac leak(s) somewhere. One easy thing you can do is to snip 1/8” off all your vac hoses and reinstall. That will tighten them up, obviously replace any that feel hard. You could have many small leaks adding up to cause trouble, not sure if a smoke test would show those.

SD_Montero

Observer
The monitors will never set on a 96, if they do u believe it clears when you turn it off . My 96 always passes, just have to take it to the right smog shop where they know what they are doing. I believe there is a bulletin to ignore the monitors. You can search this forum for more info on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat