Snorkel Wars

southern safaris

Forever lost
that website had some interesting looking snorkels , beats the heck out of my pvc one! if you do make one out of fiberglass post a pic id like to see it,

sasaholic

Adventurer
i made mine out of fiberglass and it god hammered by some big branches and hasnt been effected yet.

not a great pic of it but u get the idea. i modeled it similar to the arb snorkel, but kept it super close to the windshield

snow006.jpg

truck313.jpg

sasaholic

Adventurer
thank you. i wasnt goin to do the cutout and just relocate the antenna, but it just adds a bit more shape to it and im glad i did it

CYi5

Explorer
thank you. i wasnt goin to do the cutout and just relocate the antenna, but it just adds a bit more shape to it and im glad i did it

What kind of material did you use to make your fiberglass plug? Wood, foam, mesh?

I'm from Redding too btw, that manzanita is killer huh? ;) .

sasaholic

Adventurer
What kind of material did you use to make your fiberglass plug? Wood, foam, mesh?

I'm from Redding too btw, that manzanita is killer huh? ;) .

ya when u were still up here i saw u driving around a few times. ya the manzanita sucks but alot of my really deep scratches are from hunting in the mendocino forests. i layed down tape on the fender to match the curves and layered up some fiberglass, then used foam to build the body and fiberglassed over that. for the tube i used a section of abs and fiberglassed over that. i could have left the abs under the tube but i took it out. thinking back if i would do it again i would scuff up the tube really well and lay the fiberglass ontop with the intentions of it sticking and leaving it inside for more strength(although i have leaned mine up against a few trees). i also used the mounting pattern of an arb snorkel so incase it turned out like crap or i just didnt like it or it fell apart i would be able to buy a true snorkel and just bolt it on. if i had the money i would have just bought one probably, but i didnt and i like doing things the hard way i made it. hope that helps a little bit andy questions ask away

bcrez

Adventurer
Better question is how in the heck did you get a Hilux in denver?

Snorkels for me would be for dust primarily. The air intake on my Hilux is behind the left side headlight, which is about 6 inches higher than the stock ECU location and alternator, probably a good foot higher than the starter. I've raised my axle breathers to spots higher than the air intake, so my low point is really the tailpipe. Although since the bend in the intermediate pipe between the muffler and tailpipe goes up and around the axle, the real low point is actually roughly equal to the top of my tires.

BTW, I put in a K&N right after buying my truck and around 10K miles later when I tore into the engine to replace the timing chain, noticed that my intake was filthy with a fine dust. I started doing used oil analysis and was surprised at how much silica they found (around 65 ppm). That level is usually considered severe duty and usually means really short oil change intervals. I typically follow ~4K intevals on Castrol Syntec.

I promptly went back to stock Toyota filters. I now get around 5 to 10 ppm silica. The K&N certainly didn't clog like my stock filters do. But, it appeared that the reason it wasn't dirty is that it does not do a particularly good job at stopping the fine dust. As it is I replace the filter about 2 or 3 times a year, which I'd rather do than keep ingesting dirt. I recommend to everyone I know that uses a stock-fit K&N to have an analysis done (really everyone should do them periodically). Compare the silica numbers with a good traditional filter (cheap thin-paper Frams don't count) and a K&N, since silica is just a measure of how much external dirt is being sucked into the engine.

To be fair, I also noticed that the stock filters fit more snug into the air box than the K&N, so I could have been sucking dust around the edges of the filter, too. But I'm careful to wipe a coating of grease on the frame before putting a filter in, so I'm not sure that I was getting all that much coming around the edges.

nano151

Observer
first things first i love this forum...... i usually just read take what i want and leave it at that, just want to chime in for what reason i dont know maybe i just dont believe i am of the few percentile that actually do what it takes to make a vehicle water worthy so to speak, here in the everglades especially during wet season you find yourself in deep water before you know it , most of the time unexpectedly , the same dry trail you were on last week is three feet under water the next, i do agree with most posts a snorkel alone is not going to make your vehicle work as a sub, but most down here in our parts use them out of need rather than looks , as in my case it was the last result! my rig ran great water up to the hood but once the carb choked out i was swimming the tow rope to a bigger truck< if i was lucky to be with someone else. did everything and then some, e-fans with override cutoff switch, dizzy boot, vent lines out the wazzooooo, cdi box and all firewall holes plugged and sealed , and so many more headaches i dont have time to write, it got me far but the snorkel does allow me to go farther and i did not want to snork my rig, i thought it was tooo over the top for a daily driver but which would you rather deal with , peoples asking what it is and why you need it or your wife (in my case) saying"your really gonna turn around because the waters too deep?!" i can honestly say now she will want to turn around before my truck needs too, and that makes it all worth it to me, just my humble opinion but there are more out there that are not just mall cruisers, and just because they have a snork, dont think its all about looks , maybe theres just other bad water drivers like me, i cant always keep that perfect bow wave....id rather have not punched that hole in my fender, happy wheeling everyone! p.s. this was not meant to step on anyones toes, please dont get offended at all

As a fellow Southern Floridian i have to agree. Deep water, especially during the rainy season, really limits your options if you don't run a snorkel. I'm getting ready to install and aluminum River Raider snorkel on my YJ which i bought for $75 used. I plan to use their universal airbox, but i'll run a screen instead of the cover plate when on the road cuz i'm worried the Chevy V8 might need more air.

Here's the project... I'll post a new pic once i get the snorkel installed.

jeep021.jpg

southern safaris

Forever lost
As a fellow Southern Floridian i have to agree. Deep water, especially during the rainy season, really limits your options if you don't run a snorkel. I'm getting ready to install and aluminum River Raider snorkel on my YJ which i bought for $75 used. I plan to use their universal airbox, but i'll run a screen instead of the cover plate when on the road cuz i'm worried the Chevy V8 might need more air.

Here's the project... I'll post a new pic once i get the snorkel installed.

jeep021.jpg

ever get that snorkel installed? lets see some pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad