Snorkel Wars

LACamper

Adventurer
Epic thread!!! 5+ years! Unbelievable.

Living in New Orleans water has always been a concern. I'm not talking Katrina- most of us know we need to evacuate if a major storm is coming.
We've always had street flooding issues. TS Francis (1999?) was the worst I've had to deal with at work (insurance agent, lots of claims). I amazingly made it home in my wife's saturn. We floated across a few flooded intersections and avoided the areas known to flood. But street flooding happens sometimes with just regular spring rains.
I bought an Xterra this time mainly because of the water. The air intake is up fairly high. A low profile snorkel is really tempting...
I'd love to see an honest water fording depth chart on all vehicles. I'd frame it and hang it in my office!

Caduceus

Adventurer
Epic thread!!! 5+ years! Unbelievable.

Living in New Orleans water has always been a concern. I'm not talking Katrina- most of us know we need to evacuate if a major storm is coming.
We've always had street flooding issues. TS Francis (1999?) was the worst I've had to deal with at work (insurance agent, lots of claims). I amazingly made it home in my wife's saturn. We floated across a few flooded intersections and avoided the areas known to flood. But street flooding happens sometimes with just regular spring rains.
I bought an Xterra this time mainly because of the water. The air intake is up fairly high. A low profile snorkel is really tempting...
I'd love to see an honest water fording depth chart on all vehicles. I'd frame it and hang it in my office!
I think the US military HMMWV (aka, the Hum-vee) is rated to 5 feet. The civilian version to 3 feet.

As for every other vehicle, I have no idea.

Yeah, I've got nothing useful to add besides reviving the dead.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I find it hard to beleave that a man of religion would be that negitive, although alot of people use that as a reason to be above the sins of all other mankind. Relax dont be soo serious....If you cant have any fun, try.

I'm not going to bring religion into this, you can take that up with Azlugz. I'm a mere heathen, my Sunday's are best spent in the desert :D

Azlugz

Adventurer
I find it hard to beleave that a man of religion would be that negitive, although alot of people use that as a reason to be above the sins of all other mankind. Relax dont be soo serious....If you cant have any fun, try.

Wow, not sure what that had to do with anything!!!!!!!!!!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Put me in the non snorkel camp. Sure, had I enough reason I *might* run one. Since I don't operate in silt often enough and water crossings in SoCA are rare enough, I don't. I think that they look extremely poser anywhere but on the dirt, then they may or may not be appropriate.

That's just me, I really don't care what you decide to do. I'm not about to try to convert anyone. That would be nearly pointless and would border on being un-American since whether you run one or not is no skin off my nose.

Mamontof

Explorer
Put me in the non snorkel camp. Sure, had I enough reason I *might* run one. Since I don't operate in silt often enough and water crossings in SoCA are rare enough, I don't. I think that they look extremely poser anywhere but on the dirt, then they may or may not be appropriate.

That's just me, I really don't care what you decide to do. I'm not about to try to convert anyone. That would be nearly pointless and would border on being un-American since whether you run one or not is no skin off my nose.

I was trying logistical understand hay some drive trucks true hell and newer use

snorkel.... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOyY8f05tFI&feature=related"]YouTube - Russian truck "Ural" in deep water[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7GE2DKxnrE&feature=fvw"]YouTube - Russian truck "Ural" in deep water - part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bXQ-KOB7A0&feature=related"]YouTube - Russian trophy[/ame]

Dumb stupid finish russian and rest idiots around a globe , i wish they know about snorkel when cross water .

Honestly Snorkel look so sexy , so i was think install two in each side of the car

Gentlemen do you think snorkel in each side of the car help me cross water ,

and have better performance in dusty roads of Utah/Arizona/New Mexico ?

Caduceus

Adventurer
so the thing about water crossings... it's only good if the water isn't fast enough or deep enough that your car loses traction. After that, you're flotsam (or is it jetsam?) along for the ride.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Gentlemen do you think snorkel in each side of the car help me cross water ,

and have better performance in dusty roads of Utah/Arizona/New Mexico ?

I have never needed a snorkel in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, or anywhere else for that matter.

Mamontof

Explorer
I have never needed a snorkel in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, or anywhere else for that matter.

Well you are a lucky newer be afther a rain , or you newer joy Cotton wood canyon crossing (my personal bad memory)

And i hate Moab Afther a rain:snorkel:

Snorkel help have a better performance to engine in Dusty roads :Wow1: That why in my dreams have a two huge one in each side of the car , too look

like real truck ! You see them probably in the roads - a huge steel pipe behind a cabin ( again i surprise why Australian do not use them)

Some travel in Utah/Arizona not only when Red Earth cover by snow and no dust in the trails :ylsmoke:

By the way , when i read all this post it time to make new Comedy series with two robots ....about hay pro truck should look...Snorkel, ARB bumper winch , huge tire , refrigerator RTT .....

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've done plenty of exploring during and after rains in AZ and Utah. I still have never found a need for a snorkel (during my exploration -- as I said way back at the beginning of the thread, there are certainly times and places where one would be justified).

Moab during/after a good rain storm is a tough one. It seems to take years to get all the mud out from under the truck.

Scott Brady

Founder
99% of the justification for a snorkel is appearance. Lets just be honest with ourselves.

But that 1% of the time. . . I am glad I have it.
2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1563.JPG

D7_18.JPG

Mamontof

Explorer
I've done plenty of exploring during and after rains in AZ and Utah. I still have never found a need for a snorkel (during my exploration -- as I said way back at the beginning of the thread, there are certainly times and places where one would be justified).

Moab during/after a good rain storm is a tough one. It seems to take years to get all the mud out from under the truck.

Okay , with out sad humor :ylsmoke:

I can not said/wright as i am pro Expedition or Overland traveler , as my RTT typical tent what i install in top of the ruff , i do not have super Zombie crash bumper , my winch i install only when i need , my tire carrier home made rack to hold a tire, canister and tools, i do not have 4 or 6 inch lift add to my car
- what i have a good engine what give my Tahoe 25 M/G , great transmission , transfer case , nice shock , plates and a good tires , well and many other not visual things :snorkel: from outside - my car looks like 10 years old typical crop

I only drive where i like , and if i see a water way to deep - simple look other option to cross (steel no need snorkel)
I am loner driver , nobody in front of me pick up curtains with dust ...(again no need for snorkel)

For me Snorkel nothing by accessories what make truck/SUV look more

horny and sexual attractive for 4x4 enthusiasts :elkgrin:

O please do not punch my tires :) , but one day i will be make/build one huge

monster SAS/Zombie/communist/terrorist/Chinese survival truck and stop

travel , seat in back of my porch with remote control in my arms and start

relise self open RTT, self inflation tire....

rezdiver

Adventurer
first pic looks like you hit the water way too fast (this is an example of not treading lightly), and second pic looks like you could do without the snorkel as the water is not too high on your truck. if those were situations of the 1% you mentioned you are now back at 100% not needing it:)

99% of the justification for a snorkel is appearance. Lets just be honest with ourselves.

But that 1% of the time. . . I am glad I have it.
2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1563.JPG

D7_18.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad