Snorkel Wars

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I assume that the nipple on the air intake/filter canister is supposed to let water out of the canister before it makes its way into the engine. I wonder how well it works in practice. Well, I don't wonder how well mine works, as it currently has duct tape and a condom over it as my old nipple fell off (hmm, condoms, nipples). I have a new one sitting in a box and will fit it on with a bit of sealant to help it stay there.

scrubber3

Not really here
snorkel on2.JPG Got mine installed. Now all the ladies can't keep their eyes off me.... Or my snorkel.... :jump:

Last edited:

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
Yeah I was in my teens but I was in to lowered cars & fast bikes not Tupperware bowls on top of PVC pipes. ********!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I have used my snorkel plenty of times in extreme water crossings in my TJ. Mostly not out of choice. Needing to get from point A to Point B and the only way was through the deep river. One time was during a SAR during a flash flood. No other vehicles could access the victim with compound fracture, because they didn't have a snorkel. Precleaners also make a huge difference in keeping the filter unclogged with dust. Due to all these passed experiences, I decided to put one also on my H3. If I never have to use it all the better, but if I do, it's there.

bf688a4a.jpg

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Why Snorkel? Why not? Even if someone only uses the snorkel and disregards the other items on the list of proper water prep, they have at least removed hydro shocking their motor. I installed my snorkel, and lengthened the diff breathers. Did not seal the ignition nor some of the other things mentioned as a good idea. Never had a problem 3.5 years in wet Alaska.

Chance favors the prepared mind!

6a2cae5f.jpg 878f2efa.jpg c3530ccd.jpg f4534d73.jpg

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
I have used my snorkel plenty of times in extreme water crossings in my TJ. Mostly not out of choice. Needing to get from point A to Point B and the only way was through the deep river. One time was during a SAR during a flash flood. No other vehicles could access the victim with compound fracture, because they didn't have a snorkel. Precleaners also make a huge difference in keeping the filter unclogged with dust. Due to all these passed experiences, I decided to put one also on my H3. If I never have to use it all the better, but if I do, it's there.

bf688a4a.jpg

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Is that the Sy-Klone pre-cleaner?

I've been looking into getting one, but they're not cheap :eek:

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Is that the Sy-Klone pre-cleaner?

I've been looking into getting one, but they're not cheap :eek:

Yes it is. I don't like the ram that comes with it. The Donaldson one that Safari sells for my application is huge. Looks like you have a control tower on there. I saw one on another H3 and asked him where he got. I always keep the ram in my trunk because from passed experience the precleaners and trees don't get alone too well. Nothing worse than having an open snorkel to sick in everything into the air box.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
Yes it is. I don't like the ram that comes with it. The Donaldson one that Safari sells for my application is huge. Looks like you have a control tower on there. I saw one on another H3 and asked him where he got. I always keep the ram in my trunk because from passed experience the precleaners and trees don't get alone too well. Nothing worse than having an open snorkel to sick in everything into the air box.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Nice

Going by their YouTube video, they seem to work very well :)

And they don't look like a shop towel dispenser like the big Donaldson units :Wow1:

I'm currently running a 70 series style hat as it was only $15 bucks and never used the standard dorkel scoop :snorkel:

FZJ80B52Bumpit.JPG

Zam15

Explorer

Any idea how a Sy-Klone type pre-cleaner perform in a volcanic ash environment (or large forest fires)? I know standand air filters are basically useless as the clog up almost immediately. It would seem to me as there is no filter element to clog this would be very useful.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
After going through some creeks, with a "its not that deep" mindset, quickly found out snorkel is a must. Had some water in the airbox, good thing thats as far as it went. :Wow1:

If you know that youll be going through water, mind as well be ready.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_8069copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad