So I Want a D2 (Jeep Owner)

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Hey guys, I currently own a 1999 XJ that I am selling (in the classifieds) because I want to buy a Discovery II. I know the issues and the reliability differences between my Jeep and the Discovery, yet I still want one.

I am currently a Sophomore in College and bought the Jeep to try the off road thing, to realize that I loved it. Only reason I bought the XJ was because it was the best reliable off roader I could get with $3,000 from Financial Refunds.

I consider myself somewhat handy but definitely willing to learn (installed the suspension, etc on my Cherokee with friends help) so I would gladly learn to work on the DII and avoid mechanics etc unless a huge job.

The question is, a 1999 D2 like this:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2444150994.html

Or a 2004 D2 like this:

http://www.pinnaclemotorcarsonline.com/web/1957/vehicle/1354976/2004-Land Rover-Discovery-S

I like the front end of the 2004 way better, but that would be more to finance (giving the Jeep as down when it sells). With the 1999 I can pay most of it if not all right away cash if I sell the Jeep ASAP.

1999 has no CDL shifter and 4.0 vs 4.6 and CDL shifter (and possible 4.6 issues?) in the 2004.

What to do, what to do? This is why I came to you guys. (No you can't convince me to get a Toyota or something else, don't try.) :p

overlander

Expedition Leader
Welcome (almost) to the brotherhood of the muddy oval! Relax, it will only hurt for a little bit. :ylsmoke:

You HAVE to get the CDL, and there is a major difference in the power to weight ratio of the 4.6 verus earlier and smaller V8 generations (e.g. 3.9 and 4.0). My wife has the 03' 4.6 and it is such a nice road car, particular when driving up and down interstate hills. (Unfortunately, I was in Iraq when she bought it and while telling her to get 03' or later from overseas, I didn't realize, nor could I have imagined that Rover would omit the CDL from a transfer case that already had one. Top 5 Rover Engineering mistakes in my book)

Keep in mind that when you are buying an off road vehicle used, particular over the 60k mileage mark, you need to make sure you are not "cash poor". That is, spending all your money on the vehicle and not having enough to refresh general maintenance repairs. Any vehicle, regardless of brand that is purchases used should have a purchase budget beyond the vehicle that includes new cap, rotor, wires, coolant hoses, oil, coolant flush and belts. You don't really know what the last owners(s) did for service, so it's good to start with a baseline. Plus, for any used vehicle, at a minimum I would get AAA membership for the first year, until you get to know the vehicle and potential shortcomings.

If this is your daily driver, understand that off roading is going to have accelerated wear on your components. You would drive a weekend off roader differently than a daily driver, and an overlander would drive more like a daily driver off road anyway, versus a rock climber or mudder. Don't push your vehicle to it's limits, and enjoy that it gets you to destinations. Go around the puddle in the road rather than through it. Recon questionable routes before driving it. Use a spotter when you go on technical trails, and when in doubt, go back rather than push on.

Anyway, make sure you can afford to refresh and maintain before committing. alternatively, go with a D1 and refresh it. It's easier to field maintain anyway. If you still want a DII, shoot for an 04'. It's the best year of that model, and a fun and comfortable ride.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Do some research, as the '99, '00, and early '01s have the CDL, just need linkage as the nipple is there. Or engage it manually from below, while dirty, it is thrifty. While the 4.6 has advantages, it has it's own issues too. Compare maintenance records always, and as Mark says, keep an emergency fund- it's Murphy's Law: if you have it, you won't need it....

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
And read read read, there are lots of great threads on here that answer all your questions and point you to areas of concern, required preventative maintenance, etc.

-Sam

discodisco

Observer
Narrowed down

Thanks for linking the choices so we can get a good look at the actual vehicles. I personally would go for the 04' hands down. The 99 and my own 01 and I wished I had waited for an 04. I had to install the CDL myself and I wish I had just a little more power in the 4.6 engine when it comes to towing. Between the awesome headlights, the bigger engine, CDL and just plain newer the 04 will give you more bang for your buck.
Find your local land rover non-dealer mechanic or maybe club and see if they can look at both to make sure you won't be buying a problem.

That 2004 S is really nice, and clean. No leaky sunroofs to worry about. Comes with 16" wheels. If the 7 seats means it has the air suspension, that's the only real potential downfall. But it might not have the air suspension, not all 7 seaters do. Actually, looking at the button cluster, I don't think it does have air suspension.

Better hurry up and buy it before I do. ;)

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
That 2004 S is really nice, and clean. No leaky sunroofs to worry about. Comes with 16" wheels. If the 7 seats means it has the air suspension, that's the only real potential downfall. But it might not have the air suspension, not all 7 seaters do. Actually, looking at the button cluster, I don't think it does have air suspension.

Better hurry up and buy it before I do. ;)

Neither of my se7s has air suspension, yes to rear air conditioning though

brushogger

Explorer
As my kids say, "It's time for Dad to be the wet blanket". Having been in your shoes before, and having made many stupid, and I mean STUPID mistakes, I just want to throw a couple of things in the ring.

Your XJ is already modified very well for off roading. The similar one I had got 19MPG. There is a plethora of new and cheap used parts available everywhere, and it's very easy to work on. It's also a lot more forgiving when cash is tight and you have to temporarily put off doing the small things. With the Disco that's not an option. Things like flushing the cooling system. The Disco has to have this done annually or you will run into cooling system problems. I'm assuming from your post the Jeep is paid for. If it's dependable I would keep it until getting a job after graduation, Then buy the dream truck.

That said, I have an 04 D2 and I love it. The first thing I had to do after the purchase was change the head gaskets, and it only had 43k on it. That cost $565 and I did the work myself (it was $1800 to have it done). I knew this was the case before buying it though. If this hasn't been done, it will need it shortly. With 2" spring spacers and 235 85r 16 tires I get 15mpg hwy and 12 in town. It rides like a Caddy compared to my old XJ though. If you're like me, you will be modding it and this will be more bucks. The 04 DII has the CDL and this is a must have if you do much off roading. Some of the earlier DII's don't have the nipple to engage it with a wrench, but I don't know which year models they are for sure.

If you have to get a Disco, be sure it has current maintenance records, and take it to an experienced Rover mechanic to have it checked first. This is key. No matter how good it looks, if he says no, don't buy.

OK, I'm climbing down off my soap box now. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
College sophmore? I dont know what your income is during college (you dont have to answer), but I would suggest you research repair costs on this forum and others before taking that plunge. I also don't advocate car payments, especially in college. If you can't pay cash for it, wait until you can. LRs require a lot of attention mechanically, and if you're making a car payment that payment is going to dilute your repair budget. Additionally, those car payments are going to leave a bad taste in your mouth when those repairs catch up with you. You're looking at a 12 and 7 yr old car respectively, if you don't know the repair history you can get bit.

Just some advice, take it or leave it. But i would delay your want until youre out of college and have a good paying job that allows you to pay cash for a Disco. You'll be that much happier.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I hear you guys. The reason I want to sell the Cherokee is that it is way to uncomfortable for me. I am 6'1" and feel very cramped. I have researched a lot on the varying issues that the D2s have yet I am still very drawn to them. As for repairs, I would rather tackle them with friends and some pizza to learn, rather than having a shop do it. As for the college scenario, I know what you are saying, but I feel that if I budget everything (even an emergency fund) I should be all right financing one. Yes the Cherokee is paid for; my bills only include cell phone, car insurance, and gasoline. Yes the Cherokee is my daily driver / off roader as will the D2 be.

No I don't want a D2 because they are "chic" or because every other 19 year old wants Mommy and Daddy name brand vehicles; I want one because there is something that I see in a D2 that can't be explained in any Jeep, Toyota etc. Could be the awesome looks, or the attractive price thanks to depreciation, or the elegance of it; something that you can take to the safari and then go to a 5 Star hotel with. I feel that being responsible is the only way to learn and I am willing to do that for a 2004 Discovery. Dream vehicle right there lol.

Snagger

Explorer
My tuppence worth is give the '99 serious consideration. You will lose a little engine power, but it's still ample. The CDL linkage would be a relatively cheap and simple first project for you that will cost far less than the difference in asking price of the cars.

I, like everyone else, think the front end of the 2003 model is far superior, making an inoffensive looking car and expensive and attractive looking car. Quite a few people have facelifted their earlier DIIs in the UK and I think there are some companies (Simmonites might be one) who do retro-fit kits (not available from LR themselves), which you could later fit yourself if the mood so took you. Remember though that the pretty 2004 front end won't be quite so crucial once it's dirty or mildly dinged from off roading, especially if you end up fitting an after-market bumper and winch...

Ultimately, base the decision on price and condition, going for whichever is going to be the cheapest to run overall - there's no point buying a cheap shed that will take all your time and money to repair, and equally no point in blowing you whole budget on an expensive gem that you can't afford subsequent fuel or repair bills on.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I am going to look at the 1999 D2 first because if I sell the Jeep I can buy it cash and not have to finance anything which is very appealing. I do like this specific 99' a lot. This also leaves room for modifications hehe.

My tuppence worth is give the '99 serious consideration. You will lose a little engine power, but it's still ample. The CDL linkage would be a relatively cheap and simple first project for you that will cost far less than the difference in asking price of the cars.

I, like everyone else, think the front end of the 2003 model is far superior, making an inoffensive looking car and expensive and attractive looking car. Quite a few people have facelifted their earlier DIIs in the UK and I think there are some companies (Simmonites might be one) who do retro-fit kits (not available from LR themselves), which you could later fit yourself if the mood so took you. Remember though that the pretty 2004 front end won't be quite so crucial once it's dirty or mildly dinged from off roading, especially if you end up fitting an after-market bumper and winch...

Ultimately, base the decision on price and condition, going for whichever is going to be the cheapest to run overall - there's no point buying a cheap shed that will take all your time and money to repair, and equally no point in blowing you whole budget on an expensive gem that you can't afford subsequent fuel or repair bills on.

Last edited:

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
...No I don't want a D2 because they are "chic" or because every other 19 year old wants Mommy and Daddy name brand vehicles; I want one because there is something that I see in a D2 that can't be explained in any Jeep, Toyota etc. Could be the awesome looks, or the attractive price thanks to depreciation, or the elegance of it; something that you can take to the safari and then go to a 5 Star hotel with. I feel that being responsible is the only way to learn and I am willing to do that for a 2004 Discovery. Dream vehicle right there lol.

I think that's why we buy Land Rovers...LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven