So I Want a D2 (Jeep Owner)

DesertJK

Adventurer
Having only read a couple of posts in this discussion, I may be out of line here, but I really don't care.

I sometimes think that had I bought the Cherokee I looked at before buying my Disco, or maybe the Liberty TDI or Grand Cherokee I looked at before buying my wifes Freelander, I would have been money and travel time ahead of where I was when I liquidated all things Rover form my life and went 100% domestic.

I used to be able to argue all day long why a Rover is SOOOOO much better than your Jeep, Toyota, Dodge, Ford, ect.. and in many ways they are. But really, how "good" does a rig need to be to idle along down dirt roads, dragging the paint through the pine trees and the sage brush?

The Freelander I bought handled better than any small SUV except the BMW's. It was fun to drive, and if you wanted, you could drive it like a rally car on slick surfaces. Loved it. I only ever took it out and drove it hard once or twice. It always had this "about to break" felling about it. And break it did. Had we bought the Liberty TDI, we may have not railed on it over a mountain pass that one time on the way to Seattle, but we would probably still be plucking along in some cheap rattle trap with 200,000 miles on it.

My Disco was better. I got a lot of miles out of it. But, every single thing that broke was the same stuff that broke on every single one of them, and every single part I ever needed had to come from some far away place at a premium price. Had I got the Grand Cherokee, I wouldn't have had to ride my track motorcycle home from 150 miles away to borrow a water pump from a friends truck (the one that failed gave no indication and was 2 years old) or when the compression got down on a few cylinders, I could have had a bad *** Hemi waiting to bolt in. But no, instead I paid twice as much for a POS used 4.0 out a a wreck.
Sure, the Rover drives nicer than a Jeep. Sounds good sometimes. It has some cheasy status to it, I guess, sort of. But Jeeps are easy to find, easy to replace, easy to fix in the parking lot of a NAPA in Mt. Shasta California, or John Day Oregon, or Chelan WA. Do yo think they have any Rover parts in Ogala South Dakota?
I still see cool Rovers, in fact I saw two kitted out Discos today on HWY 97 between Brewster and Pateros WA. One had the hood open, I think I saw some smoke coming out.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Don't sell your Cherokee if it is paid for and you are still in school. Just suck it up till you have a real income.

I can end up with a paid Disco if I sell the XJ and buy an early D2 with the 4.0 instead of a 2004.

Having only read a couple of posts in this discussion, I may be out of line here, but I really don't care.

I sometimes think that had I bought the Cherokee I looked at before buying my Disco, or maybe the Liberty TDI or Grand Cherokee I looked at before buying my wifes Freelander, I would have been money and travel time ahead of where I was when I liquidated all things Rover form my life and went 100% domestic.

I used to be able to argue all day long why a Rover is SOOOOO much better than your Jeep, Toyota, Dodge, Ford, ect.. and in many ways they are. But really, how "good" does a rig need to be to idle along down dirt roads, dragging the paint through the pine trees and the sage brush?

The Freelander I bought handled better than any small SUV except the BMW's. It was fun to drive, and if you wanted, you could drive it like a rally car on slick surfaces. Loved it. I only ever took it out and drove it hard once or twice. It always had this "about to break" felling about it. And break it did. Had we bought the Liberty TDI, we may have not railed on it over a mountain pass that one time on the way to Seattle, but we would probably still be plucking along in some cheap rattle trap with 200,000 miles on it.

My Disco was better. I got a lot of miles out of it. But, every single thing that broke was the same stuff that broke on every single one of them, and every single part I ever needed had to come from some far away place at a premium price. Had I got the Grand Cherokee, I wouldn't have had to ride my track motorcycle home from 150 miles away to borrow a water pump from a friends truck (the one that failed gave no indication and was 2 years old) or when the compression got down on a few cylinders, I could have had a bad *** Hemi waiting to bolt in. But no, instead I paid twice as much for a POS used 4.0 out a a wreck.
Sure, the Rover drives nicer than a Jeep. Sounds good sometimes. It has some cheasy status to it, I guess, sort of. But Jeeps are easy to find, easy to replace, easy to fix in the parking lot of a NAPA in Mt. Shasta California, or John Day Oregon, or Chelan WA. Do yo think they have any Rover parts in Ogala South Dakota?
I still see cool Rovers, in fact I saw two kitted out Discos today on HWY 97 between Brewster and Pateros WA. One had the hood open, I think I saw some smoke coming out.

I see what you did there. Hehe.

Is this a rare color? I kind of like it, along with the truck:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/2494288898.html

EDIT: Talk about over priced:

http://us-auto-consulting.ebizautos.com/detail-2001-land_rover-discovery-sd-used-6894689.html

Looks clean and no sun roofs though.

Last edited:

LtFuzz

Explorer

Horror stories don't impress true Rover die-hards. We've all been there, done that.

You either love these trucks or you're just passing through.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Land Rovers are wonderful vehicles, but you may want to consider something different if you are a sophmore in college. Ask me how I know.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Horror stories don't impress true Rover die-hards. We've all been there, done that.

You either love these trucks or you're just passing through.

I am jealous of your 2004. It is gorgeous.

Land Rovers are wonderful vehicles, but you may want to consider something different if you are a sophmore in college. Ask me how I know.

I thought about 80 Series (my Dad has one in Colombia, stick shift, with part time transfer) but they are way too big for me, and just don't appeal to me like the Discovery. Gas is about the same though.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I thought about 80 Series (my Dad has one in Colombia, stick shift, with part time transfer) but they are way too big for me, and just don't appeal to me like the Discovery. Gas is about the same though.

The 80 series is going to be much more reliable. It's going to be more capable off road (with diff lock.) It's also going to be more spacious inside. I found the 80 series to be a little bit longer, but lower to the ground however I would rather have a lower, and longer vehicle.

When I was in college, I had a Discovery, I had alot of fun with it, but with the high amount of miles I put on, the 80 series was more reliable and maintenance free.

Also remember an 80 series is going to be alot better if the vehicle is going to sit in the garage at your school for long periods of time. Rovers do not like to sit. I made that mistake leaving my rover at home when I went away.

You can also fit 35's on a 2 inch lift, and not have to touch a thing.

The Rover will definitely have a lot more charisma and character. But these days you cannot jump at the first rover you see. If you are not familiar with these vehicles, bring an enthusiast, or bring the vehicle to a indy shop before you purchase.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I hear you. I have researched and the problem with the 80s is that even though they are super reliable, I can only find super high mileage ones and they are kinda old. For the same price as a 2004 DII.

I have to find the perfect DII and not jump on the first one on impulse I know that can be bad. It would be my daily driver so it wont sit still.

The 80 series is going to be much more reliable. It's going to be more capable off road (with diff lock.) It's also going to be more spacious inside. I found the 80 series to be a little bit longer, but lower to the ground however I would rather have a lower, and longer vehicle.

When I was in college, I had a Discovery, I had alot of fun with it, but with the high amount of ymiles I put on, the 80 series was more reliable and maintenance free.

Also remember an 80 series is going to be alot better if the vehicle is going to sit in the garage at your school for long periods of time. Rovers do not like to sit. I made that mistake leaving my rover at home when I went away.

You can also fit 35's on a 2 inch lift, and not have to touch a thing.

The Rover will definitely have a lot more charisma and character. But these days you cannot jump at the first rover you see. If you are not familiar with these vehicles, bring an enthusiast, or bring the vehicle to a indy shop before you purchase.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I know you're focused on a DII, but I suggest a serious consideration of D1's. They are a lot cheaper to repair overall. My personal preference is a '95 D1 for trail use. No alarm that can immobilize you in the middle of no-where, no crank position sensor that can immobilize you in the middle of no-where. All D1's have an operating CDL.

They are getting more difficult to find in good shape however. On the other hand the prices leave money left over for tidying them up.

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I know you're focused on a DII, but I suggest a serious consideration of D1's. They are a lot cheaper to repair overall. My personal preference is a '95 D1 for trail use. No alarm that can immobilize you in the middle of no-where, no crank position sensor that can immobilize you in the middle of no-where. All D1's have an operating CDL.

They are getting more difficult to find in good shape however. On the other hand the prices leave money left over for tidying them up.

I have looked into them, but I find the D2 more appealing. And like you said, even though they are dirt cheap sometimes, the ones I have seen around here are pretty beat up.

The 5 Speed is really cool though. I saw one gone for $1K.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader

Have to agree with Tom on this one...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Take a step back, and look at some of the old timer Rover guys- we tend to all agree on the 5 speed D-I '95 model as the pinnacle of do-it-all Roverdom. The Defenders are hands down sexy and romantic- but not very familiar with the term ergonomics. Anyway, several guys who were multi Rover owners and have adjusted their obsession have chosen the '95 D-I over even the '04 D-II. Does this make it the right choice for you? Who knows, but worth a consideration as to why that is our choice... not the least of is listed directly above. As they say in the bike world, chrome don't get you home:)

Disco2Guy

Observer
A couple things to consider.

The updated headlights (while looking cool) on the '03 & '04 D2's have a tendency to get condensation on the inside of the lens. Some people drill small holes top and bottom to allow more airflow to dry them out.

You say you're 6'1"? Have you sat in a D2 yet? I'm 6'4". I had a '95 Explorer before getting my D2, and there was tons of leg room. My first impression of the D2 was that I won't be very comfortable sitting in the driver's seat for too long. It was almost a deal breaker for me, but I figured I would get used to it. What I wound up doing was installing some seat extensions (first done by another guy in my club, NCLR) to get the leg room I needed. I have about 5" more room and it's just right now.

Not knowing all of the issues I might face (make that, will face) owning a Rover at the time of purchase, I had the headgaskets replaced within the first month of ownership. The 3 amigos popped up not much longer after that. I had to get the sensor and modulator replaced. Those are pretty much a guaranteed repair cost you'll need to account for.

Be prepared to do the 60k service as soon as you get the truck, that way you'll start to have a baseline of what's been replaced and get you more familiar with the vehicle.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't by a Rover, you just need to be prepared for giving it the TLC it (will) need.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've got a couple '95s if you're looking. One 'bargain' truck, runs decent, minimal to no rust, all stock, auto and then the other extreme: no rust, extremely built, low miles, 5spd, a bit pricey but ready to go any where any time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven