So I'm buying a van...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Yes I don't get the appeal of the older vanagons compared to a sprinter (unless you are thinking syncro). The front area is just as usually with the swivel seats and walk thru seating... I can nearly fit a vanagon in the back of my high top sprinter 158 (long) sprinter... So much nicer having all the room and not having to deal with a canvas pop-up here in the windy and wet northwest. The lack of the engine in the back allows it to carry so much more UNDER my bed while still having a place to sleep and seating for 5 people at a table at the same time! I have a real queen sized bed set up all the time and still have 3 feet behind it before the rear doors to stand up and get dressed or change. Someone can sleep while others are at the table.

The mercedes diesel 5 cylinder engine is so much better than the waterboxer, subaru, or zetec - and I get 21 mpg all the time consistantly and can cruise all day at 75 mph if I need / want to. Parts are easy to get and reasonable - I haven't had much problems other in the last 200,000 miles / 10+ years. Used sprinter prices have really dropped and used parts are getting more common.

Off-road the sprinter is challenged and even a 2wd vanagon would do better - but a shorter van (140 or 118) would be better. I think the sprinter also has better clearance and comes with 16 inch rims stock to allow use of "real" truck tires instead of 14 inch car wheels.

I haven't even mentioned that the sprinter includes little things like a sweet 5 speed automatic, cruise control, ABS and airbags... and has a much higher cargo / payload capacity.

Give me a sprinter any day (unless your talking a syncro...)

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Going from a Yaris, you've gotten used to a vehicle being very easy to own. It completely spoils you. Going to just about any kind of van is probably going to be a pretty frustrating ownership experience.

I just don't know why owning any kind van would have to be a frustrating experience?

bdog1

Adventurer
Referring to the antique ownership experience I believe. The hi's and the low's!

Oh yea and " fly to Orlando to see a Sprinter in Tampa" ???? Something wrong with Tampa International Airport? I'm an hour from Tampa if you need something. (Can pet sit)

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

draaronr

Adventurer
this thread is pathetic. I am wondering if Jen will every buy a van? You are all over the place on your search. Its like going to buy a yaris and coming home with a Tundra. I hate to sound like an ***, but narrow it down and buy something. 41 pages of advice and lack of direction. Everyone had their preference and no matter what you buy it won't be perfect. If its used it will require work. why not buy new with a small monthly payment instead of dishing out 16k on a used problem box?

HoboJen

Adventurer
this thread is pathetic. I am wondering if Jen will every buy a van? You are all over the place on your search. Its like going to buy a yaris and coming home with a Tundra. I hate to sound like an ***, but narrow it down and buy something. 41 pages of advice and lack of direction. Everyone had their preference and no matter what you buy it won't be perfect. If its used it will require work. why not buy new with a small monthly payment instead of dishing out 16k on a used problem box?

well i gather that a lot of people spend months looking for their vehicle. this thread started about one month ago. i've been working on narrowing it down and buying something.

i have no debt. i prefer to keep it that way. ps. you do sound a little like an ***.

HoboJen

Adventurer
Referring to the antique ownership experience I believe. The hi's and the low's!

Oh yea and " fly to Orlando to see a Sprinter in Tampa" ???? Something wrong with Tampa International Airport? I'm an hour from Tampa if you need something. (Can pet sit)

thanks for the offer!

also my pup would need a sitter in washington while i made the trip...

HoboJen

Adventurer
Dog crate, sedative, easy flight:coffeedrink: Then the pup is there to travel with you!

i wish it were that easy but i researched this for her when i moved out to seattle... she is an unusually tall lab and they have rules about their head not touching the top of the crate. so it would be a mega crate with a mega price attached. if she was two inches shorter, not such a big deal.

ETA... not sure if it was 2 inches, but it was enough to be a big deal with the airlines.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

forum [ fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm ] noun [plural fo·rums, fo·ra]- an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

She has every right to ask questions and glean information. Thats what the portal is for. $16k is a lot of money. She's trying not to make a mistake. She's doing everything right, in my opinion.

And yes, you do sound like an ***, in case you were wondering (i'm sure you're probably a nice person, tho.) :)

If you don't like the discussion, don't click on the thread, maybe?

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Don't put the dog on a flight, trust me. When I first moved out here I worked at SeaTac for about 6 months. Nobody seems to treat live animals like live animals, to them it's just another parcel they have to deal with. Don't put the pooch on a plane.

Cole

Expedition Leader
forum [ fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm ] noun [plural fo·rums, fo·ra]- an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

She has every right to ask questions and glean information. Thats what the portal is for. $16k is a lot of money. She's trying not to make a mistake. She's doing everything right, in my opinion.

And yes, you do sound like an ***, in case you were wondering (i'm sure you're probably a nice person, tho.) :)

If you don't like the discussion, don't click on the thread, maybe?

+1
:iagree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad