So I'm buying a van...

Cole

Expedition Leader

That is what I'm shooting for with my Sprinter build, an Outside Van like build.

Those that say "how often do you need to stand up" seem like they have never had a van they can stand in! :coffeedrink:

I'm amazed at how a hightop or Poptop transforms the space! I hate trying to do everything on my knees.

There is probably a reason everyone comes over to hang out in out Poptop vs the other vans that you can't stand in.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Still requires a second battery, someplace to put it, and brackets to hold it. Not that I'm saying it's bad, but I'm broker than that!

Better than being stranded. Sounds like the OP can afford a second battery!

1der

Observer
Guess I was thinking ability for more stealth, so cooking inside was not impossible but would be less often, thus committing space to built in stove may be less desirable than using a single burner that can be stowed when not in use.

Re Pop top - definitely a nice feature, no doubt. But absolute requirement??
Pros - great space and ventilation, ability to stand up and move around, counter heights can be taller, additional sleeping/storage space.
Cons -Could present loading issues, if counters designed for pop top use, then pop top must be up which negates stealth, bed runs front to back and, if using upper bunk - must be made, un-made daily, middle of the night bathroom break is a bit more difficult, cold weather is COLD with top up, about $4 to $8k value added cost to purchase.

Full-timing, lots of campgrounds, mild weather, etc. would push me towards pop top. But if stealth was frequently required? Probably not.

Great thing is one can make these vans into nearly anything to suit one's needs and with a little imagination can be made very flexible and convertible for multi purpose, or specially designed and dedicated to single purpose. Main thing is to just get going with something and, if it has some flexibility, usage will start to reveal what is truly important to the user and what should become "built in" and dedicated. Time is NOT on any of our sides. To have an opportunity like HoboJen has at what I perceive is a young age is special. Her risk is her life journey makes a decision for her and this opportunity is a best delayed. Nothing wrong with change in path, but I for one feel, looking back, that this type of adventure early in life is greatly enriching for the person and leads to a broader/richer life path (perspectives) down the road. Her "potential" positive impact on the lives of others she comes in contact with for the rest of her life will be influenced by this year of adventure. Sailing across the Atlantic on a sailboat was a great experience for me, glad I did that earlier as it has enriched not only my life but many I have come in contact with. It would be far less if I had to wait until I was 65 or 70 yrs old.

Sorry for the philosophical nature of my posts, it is just at the end of this journey, what is most important to someone. For me it is the people and experiences that I will recall fondly / deeply, not worrying if I had a inside stove or pop top :sunny::bowdown: Peace

Cole

Expedition Leader
I think most of us here echo the idea that she just needs to buy something and go! Which is why most of the advice is to buy something a bit newer and already set up with many features. (That fits the budget)

No reason to take the time to build something. But, no reason to suffer away (especially for the dog) in a empty cargo van.

There have been several nicely set up and modern, Sprinters, Domestic and VW vans posted that are well within the stated budget. IMO, she just needs to buy one of those AND GO! If you GT a van that you don't have to think about, then you want have to and you can spend your time having fun!

draaronr

Adventurer
Guess I was thinking ability for more stealth, so cooking inside was not impossible but would be less often, thus committing space to built in stove may be less desirable than using a single burner that can be stowed when not in use.

Pros - great space and ventilation, ability to stand up and move around, counter heights can be taller, additional sleeping/storage space.
Cons -Could present loading issues, if counters designed for pop top use, then pop top must be up which negates stealth, bed runs front to back and, if using upper bunk - must be made, un-made daily, middle of the night bathroom break is a bit more difficult, cold weather is COLD with top up, about $4 to $8k value added cost to purchase.

Full-timing, lots of campgrounds, mild weather, etc. would push me towards pop top. But if stealth was frequently required? Probably not.

Great thing is one can make these vans into nearly anything to suit one's needs and with a little imagination can be made very flexible and convertible for multi purpose, or specially designed and dedicated to single purpose. Main thing is to just get going with something and, if it has some flexibility, usage will start to reveal what is truly important to the user and what should become "built in" and dedicated. Time is NOT on any of our sides. To have an opportunity like HoboJen has at what I perceive is a young age is special. Her risk is her life journey makes a decision for her and this opportunity is a best delayed. Nothing wrong with change in path, but I for one feel, looking back, that this type of adventure early in life is greatly enriching for the person and leads to a broader/richer life path (perspectives) down the road. Her "potential" positive impact on the lives of others she comes in contact with for the rest of her life will be influenced by this year of adventure. Sailing across the Atlantic on a sailboat was a great experience for me, glad I did that earlier as it has enriched not only my life but many I have come in contact with. It would be far less if I had to wait until I was 65 or 70 yrs old.

Sorry for the philosophical nature of my posts, it is just at the end of this journey, what is most important to someone. For me it is the people and experiences that I will recall fondly / deeply, not worrying if I had a inside stove or pop top :sunny::bowdown: Peace

Excellent post

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Since you mention that the Yaris is almost cutting it, why not investigate all-wheel-drive crossovers like the Subaru Outback, Toyota Highlander, etc? Really nice-driving, easy to own, quite a bit of space, and would probably address where the Yaris is falling short for your use. They've certainly carried their share of boats on top (and they're easier to reach). They're more agile and capable than most vans, for easier travel on those river and campsite accesses. They're more comfortable and relaxing to drive, easier to park, easier to hide, etc. They're just, well, easier!

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader

Doesn't sound like you've had a Poptop! Loading issues? Huh? Counter issues? Not for stealth? My Poptop interior is the same as the non-Poptop Eurovan MV. Same table/counter height, same loading, same queen bed for the main bed, I just get an EXTRA bed and standing room "only when you want it". The Poptop also adds great ventilation for leaving a dog in the car. I pop it up all the time in the city.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Since you mention that the Yaris is almost cutting it, why not think outside the van box and try an all-wheel-drive crossover wagon like a Subaru Outback, Toyota Highlander, etc? Really nice-driving, easy to own, quite a bit of space, and would probably address where the Yaris is falling short for your current use. They've certainly carried their share of boats on top as well.

Fwiw, I think my Eurovan actually has a smaller footprint than an Outback or Highlander, but seats 7 and sleeps 4. If you plan on LIVING IN a vehicle I can't think of a way to make it less pleasant than using a normal wagon/SUV. Especially when either route requires a new vehicle purchase.

Fwiw, I also own an Audi Wagon and a nice SUV and MUCH PREFER to hangout in the van, even around town, but especially when camping!

It may seem silly, but just being able to sit in the back of the van and put your food/coffee and iPad on a table makes it feel like you're not just hanging out in the car!

Last edited:

1der

Observer
Cole you are correct :)

Have not had a pop top. Someday! I love the CCV (Colorado Camper Van) tops and would likely get one if $9k somehow fell into my lap and I had cleared a few other more demanding issues that want to be satisfied first. LOL!

For us, since our van is used for a multitude of purposes, personally, it is difficult to justify adding the pop top ( it is certainly not due to the lack of temptation because that is definitely there! So much so that I should stop talking about it oer else $9k will be redirected, LOL!). Fulltime - likely would justify it. Not knocking them AT ALL, I think they are awesome, just not necessary for us right now.

Loading issues related to two or three Kayaks on a pop top and trying to raise the roof with them/ or some other load on it. I have no experience with this so maybe it is not really a problem.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Cole you are correct :)

Have not had a pop top. Someday! I love the CCV (Colorado Camper Van) tops and would likely get one if $9k somehow fell into my lap and I had cleared a few other more demanding issues that want to be satisfied first. LOL!

For us, since our van is used for a multitude of purposes, personally, it is difficult to justify adding the pop top ( it is certainly not due to the lack of temptation because that is definitely there! So much so that I should stop talking about it oer else $9k will be redirected, LOL!). Fulltime - likely would justify it. Not knocking them AT ALL, I think they are awesome, just not necessary for us right now.

Loading issues related to two or three Kayaks on a pop top and trying to raise the roof with them/ or some other load on it. I have no experience with this so maybe it is not really a problem.

Understood. :sombrero:

There have been a few good options posted with Poptops in the budget. If they hadn't, and she hadn't liked the Vanagon. Then I probably wouldn't mention it.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Not yet... I've been having too much fun enjoying the nice weather and hitting the river.

Didn't see that link until now and it has been deleted...

Yeah, the weather has been awesome up here. Been getting out and walking the coastline myself.

Ah, well too bad on the link. Was an older Ford EB Sportsmobile 2WD. Good condition interior, plain jane exterior, but looked like it was well cared for and about $5,500 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater