SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

dstock

Explorer
So i posted a story to expo front page wrapping up our trailer and Id love to hear your thoughts on anything i missed. Also any feedback from owners of the 459 as to how it compares would be awesome. :) PS, please speak honestly and tell me if there are things you don't like or are boring so i can improve next time!

Great read, I was enjoying it this morning. Love to see how owners outfit/upgrade their trailers of all kinds, great to see everyone's ideas.

fireball

Explorer
Chris - great article! How tight are those door seals? That water crossing would've had me sweating bullets.

Tell Mario he owes you a beer next time he sees you, I just asked my local guys to order me a pneumatic wheeled tongue jack based on how hard the flatbed was to maneuver around their blacktop parking lot and your endorsement.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Chris, great article! You mentioned you installed a propex heater. Where did you put it? I'm considering installing one on my 510 but not sure where to put it since the normal location So-Cal uses is taken up by a full length drawer.

Thanks! AT Overland installed it in the empty space below my stove slide and drawers. Originally I had wanted to put more drawers in there, however the versatility of a "junk drawer" space led me to leave it as is. You can see it on the left side of the trailer next to our Javacan

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Great read, I was enjoying it this morning. Love to see how owners outfit/upgrade their trailers of all kinds, great to see everyone's ideas.

I'm glad you liked it! Brainstorming ideas on this forum and looking at other builds is really helpful. I appreciate the feedback you guys and gals have given.

Chris - great article! How tight are those door seals? That water crossing would've had me sweating bullets.

Tell Mario he owes you a beer next time he sees you, I just asked my local guys to order me a pneumatic wheeled tongue jack based on how hard the flatbed was to maneuver around their blacktop parking lot and your endorsement.

They're double sealed and we installed the new door stiffeners speced by So-Cal, however I doubt it would stand up to submersion. I was pretty nervous during that crossing I won't lie. If you look close at the photo of it going across you can see the water line on the fender where it had been higher. (see here - http://expeditionportal.com/media/2016/03/IMG_7835.jpg) Right about door level. I felt confident that the doors wouldn't take on water there, however the bottom of the trailer is what worried me. I haven't seen a stock so-cal underside, but mine had a layer of a thick rubber like material between the frame and body. This was mostly sealed with silicone, however the thought of water finding an entrance into an area I couldn't see (say on some point hidden by the frame) terrified me. Once it got into that layer of rubber it would slosh around in there between the rubber and wood ruining the base.

You'll be so happy you got that tongue jack believe me. Keep an eye on the pressure and dont let it get too low or it will damage the tire. Also keep it out of the sun if you can (wrap a towel around it or something) Apparently the cheap rubber used in many of them isnt UV resistant

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I'm still trying to figure out my wheel hub issue to change everything out.

AT keeps asking me to take all these measurements of stuff and what not. I just need some stupid hubs and a small spacer so I can run my other wheels/tires.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
So i posted a story to expo front page wrapping up our trailer and Id love to hear your thoughts on anything i missed. Also any feedback from owners of the 459 as to how it compares would be awesome. :) PS, please speak honestly and tell me if there are things you don't like or are boring so i can improve next time!

I enjoyed the article as well.

It's interesting that you made the switch to AT's suspension. Knowing what you now know about the SoCal vs AT suspension, if you were to make your purchase again, would you still go with the SoCal trailer or go with the AT product? (Coming from a Chaser, when we decided to move to the teardrop our biggest concern was losing the AT suspension setup. IMHO, the AT Teardrop is the best of both worlds. We got the excellent, proven, SoCal cabin design and craftsmanship with AT's frame and suspension. That's a winning combination in my book.)

In regards to teardrop water crossings, for me, this was the major tradeoff when we moved to the teardrop from the Chaser. Due to the Chaser's metal construction, there was never a worry about the depth of water crossings. I was confident that if the vehicle could make it, the trailer would gladly follow with no long term ill affects of getting wet. Not so with the teardrop. With the teardrop in tow, water crossings are always walked. If the water is deeper than my knees, my teardrop isn't going through. Due to the wood construction, I'm not confident that submersion of the trailer's floor/walls will not cause severe warpage and possible delamination in the long term. To each his own, but my trailer always takes the "high road" on this one. <g>

Again, good article.

BOHICA

Adventurer
Here's a mod I added to my 2012 AT Teardrop...a drain to the on-board water system to prevent pump damage due to freezing. Added benefit is that I now have instant access to water without attaching the hose.

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I'm still trying to figure out my wheel hub issue to change everything out.

AT keeps asking me to take all these measurements of stuff and what not. I just need some stupid hubs and a small spacer so I can run my other wheels/tires.

Which wheels are you running? There are a bunch of spares laying around here. I bet I could get them to do it with a little prodding.

I enjoyed the article as well.

It's interesting that you made the switch to AT's suspension. Knowing what you now know about the SoCal vs AT suspension, if you were to make your purchase again, would you still go with the SoCal trailer or go with the AT product? (Coming from a Chaser, when we decided to move to the teardrop our biggest concern was losing the AT suspension setup. IMHO, the AT Teardrop is the best of both worlds. We got the excellent, proven, SoCal cabin design and craftsmanship with AT's frame and suspension. That's a winning combination in my book.)

In regards to teardrop water crossings, for me, this was the major tradeoff when we moved to the teardrop from the Chaser. Due to the Chaser's metal construction, there was never a worry about the depth of water crossings. I was confident that if the vehicle could make it, the trailer would gladly follow with no long term ill affects of getting wet. Not so with the teardrop. With the teardrop in tow, water crossings are always walked. If the water is deeper than my knees, my teardrop isn't going through. Due to the wood construction, I'm not confident that submersion of the trailer's floor/walls will not cause severe warpage and possible delamination in the long term. To each his own, but my trailer always takes the "high road" on this one. <g>

Again, good article.

Thats a very tough call. You see I never had the chance to tow the 510 on a true So-Cal suspension, so I didn't get to experience the ride quality and changes due to load etc. If I was running a 459 I would use their suspension again no question. The loaded chaser I pulled to north carolina was stuffed with our whole booth for expo east which put its weight near a teardrop. It was shocking how well that trailer handled. I can honestly say that the AT suspension is miles ahead of the competition when it comes to that weight class, HOWEVER this 510 is quite fat and the effects were clearly demonstrated through the stiffer ride. I cant say for certain if the AT rode any better. I CAN say that I loved being able to adjust the height side to side and never having to worry about sag. Whether or not that is worth the price tag is up to your personal preference.

I couldn't agree more on the water crossings, it was always nerve wracking. After that deep crossing I opened up the bottom covers and ensured it was all dry. I never went that deep again because the worry wasnt worth it.

Here's a mod I added to my 2012 AT Teardrop...a drain to the on-board water system to prevent pump damage due to freezing. Added benefit is that I now have instant access to water without attaching the hose.

View attachment 341977

View attachment 341981

View attachment 341982

View attachment 341983

Thats a really cool idea!

mvbeggs

Adventurer

View attachment 341977

Draining the pump when out in below freezing temps is a bit of a pain.

I usually drain the pump by disconnecting the line from the suction side of the pump (requires removing fridge) and running the pump until no water comes out of the hose. Do you drain the same way- except you use the permanently installed discharge line?

Anyone have a solution to easily discern how much water is remaining in the on board storage tank? (I was thinking some kind of sight tube.) With the Chaser it was real easy. Remove 4" cap and look in. Teardrop, not so easy.

BOHICA

Adventurer
Draining the pump when out in below freezing temps is a bit of a pain.

I usually drain the pump by disconnecting the line from the suction side of the pump (requires removing fridge) and running the pump until no water comes out of the hose. Do you drain the same way- except you use the permanently installed discharge line?

Anyone have a solution to easily discern how much water is remaining in the on board storage tank? (I was thinking some kind of sight tube.) With the Chaser it was real easy. Remove 4" cap and look in. Teardrop, not so easy.

As far as preventing pump damage from freezing water expanding, the T-line I installed has done the trick so far (I don't disconnect the pump input line).

A sight gauge to determine on board water tank level would be awesome!

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs

I have the 459. I haven't had it too long, Mike with Voyager built it for me, but I've had it out on some difficult trails, and the trailer did perfect. Followed right behind and behaved well. I'm very happy so far. It goes right where myself jeep leads and you can't tell it is behind you. I too like reading all the modifications and add ons and I'm looking forward to traveling and experiencing! I saw your trailer over at the office and that inspired mine. I'll keep you all posted as this year unfolds. Planning on some long trips.

dstock

Explorer
Thanks! AT Overland installed it in the empty space below my stove slide and drawers. Originally I had wanted to put more drawers in there, however the versatility of a "junk drawer" space led me to leave it as is. You can see it on the left side of the trailer next to our Javacan

I have Javacan envy...

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I have the 459. I haven't had it too long, Mike with Voyager built it for me, but I've had it out on some difficult trails, and the trailer did perfect. Followed right behind and behaved well. I'm very happy so far. It goes right where myself jeep leads and you can't tell it is behind you. I too like reading all the modifications and add ons and I'm looking forward to traveling and experiencing! I saw your trailer over at the office and that inspired mine. I'll keep you all posted as this year unfolds. Planning on some long trips.
Debbie! Hows it hanging? It has been a while since you stopped by :) I was the one who showed you around. Also good friends with Chris Ramm. I believe he has worked on your Jeep.

I have Javacan envy...

They're pretty cool :) No better way to impress your camp mates than whipping up some espresso and steamed milk

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
So the Partner Steel griddle is a fantastic piece; it's also heavy, indestructible and will win in a fight against most anything. I didn't want it banging around in the kitchen area and it won't fit in the drawers so I bolted a Pelican 1720 to the roof rack. More storage for other flat things, too.

thumb.jpg

thumb4.jpg

thumb3.jpg

thumb2.jpg

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs
Debbie! Hows it hanging? It has been a while since you stopped by :) I was the one who showed you around. Also good friends with Chris Ramm. I believe he has worked on your Jeep.

They're pretty cool :) No better way to impress your camp mates than whipping up some espresso and steamed milk

Hey Chris! Or course. I ask Chris Ramm about you all the time. He is priceless to me. He helps me so much in outfitting my jeep and he has helped me tremendously with the trailer. I was jealous when you all did the Alpine Loop last year. I wanted to know how you did with the trailer so I could follow! You are the reason I have my trailer, which is a good thing. The dogs and I have been out in it and doing fabulous. I love it. I'm doing the Great Divide trail from bottom of New Mexico up to Banff Canada in July. Can't wait! I hope we can all get together sometime. Thanks Chris, your articles really do help and inspire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater