Sportsmobile vs. XP Camper -- Why the XP Camper Won For Us

projected

Adventurer
, when the chasis flexed it caused a bunch of bad stress fractures in the camper, misaligning the door and causing issues with the windows, these not being covered by warranty.

I read it to mean any issues caused by flex were not covered by warranty including stress fractures, misaligning doors, and window issues.

Essiebessie

I am not bashing. I am describing my personal experience with the camper as it happened. I am describing how XP handled those problems. If you look back in history you will find that I have had a Syncro Westfalia for 25 years and posted my experiences with vendors who serviced and updated it, such as GoWesty. Those posts were positive because my experiences were positive. Now I own a custom Alaskan and I post positive stuff because that is how it is going with that particular camper.
I am glad to hear that XP has come to realize that the camper needs a flexible mount. It will undoubtedly save some people some grief. My Alaskan is bolted directly to the flatbed. The nature of its construction is such that it is not suffering as a result.

Last edited:

adam88

Explorer
Interesting post deleting going on in this thread. I guess XP is a sponsor or friend of a mod?

Apparently so. You cant say anything bad against xp i guess. But apparently its ok to post bad experiences with Phoenix camper... but not xp?? Interesting censorship indeed. Sad to see i thought expo was one of the better forums out therr allowing free speech

ripperj

Explorer
I don't like the fact they get deleted without any mod comments
"Posts xxx-x25 deleted by moderator for inappropriate language, religion, politics whatever"
This is the thread that had the stress cracks/window issues right?

Sent from my Passport

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I would agree moderator comments/explanation should be necessary if a post is delete by a mod. This was not done for my post, and my post was only a question to the poster if he had contacted XP about his issues--my post didn't break any rules/policies.
ExPo needs advertisers yes, but I don't feel that "protecting" advertisers from honest and valid poor experiences from the advertiser's customer base is warranted--positive experiences certainly aren't deleted, why should frustrations be? This is a public forum where information can be shared, in a respectful way. Sure, if it's proven that the post is from a competitor using an alias, that's a different topic. But when someone is asking how X product is, and admist positive comments, a customer here or there responds with their frustrating experience, that experience should be known even for the company to help improve its product or services. No person nor company is perfect, things happen, hopefully the company makes it right. As a business owner myself, in our 17yrs we've let clients down from time to time, and if someone posts about it, we're quick to respond, apologize, and ask for the opportunity to make it right. And from what we've been told by potential new clients who see that interaction, they appreciate that we're responsive, engaged, and take care of things if needed---not that we pretend to be flawless and walk on air. That's simply unrealistic.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
ripperj--yes, guy had issues and sold his after 6months, he said he had been in contact with Marc at XP about it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I read a number of the posts that disappeared and the issues I saw were

1. first time poster coming onboard just to hate on a vendor
2. general "XP is teh suck" posts vs. making specific points about the issues they experienced.
3. posting in existing multiple posts instead of starting their own.

I understand that the poster was frustrated and wanted to share their bad experience, but IMHO they went about it the wrong way and I was not the least bit surprised by what happened.

Possibly a different approach (fact based sharing of the specific issues, timeline, etc) would have been more successful and had more staying power.

ripperj

Explorer
I can see your point, but
A) everyone of us had a first post
I do agree that joining for that purpose seems hardcore, but often people turn to forums when things go south and they need help.
B) I imagine this is one of few forums that people even know what an XP camper is.
C) the mods could have asked/ or just moved the posts to a new thread.

To be clear, I have no opinion on XP other than looks and intended design and from that stand point I think it's awesome, I wish them the best.

Sent from my Passport

projected

Adventurer
I read a number of the posts that disappeared and the issues I saw were

1. first time poster coming onboard just to hate on a vendor - He did not hate on anything, he simply said he got rid of his xp at a large loss after 6 months. He said if anyone wanted details to PM him. Sounds very reasonable to me, not sure what your issue is with his post. Your 1st time poster issue is BS, everyone was a first time poster at some point, even you.
2. general "XP is teh suck" posts vs. making specific points about the issues they experienced. - We must have read different posts, I don't remember anyone saying anything about xp sucking. I saw valid concerns raised and questions asked.
3. posting in existing multiple posts instead of starting their own. - No idea what you are talking about here either. This is an xp related post and xp campers were being discussed in a civil manner

I understand that the poster was frustrated and wanted to share their bad experience, but IMHO they went about it the wrong way and I was not the least bit surprised by what happened.

Possibly a different approach (fact based sharing of the specific issues, timeline, etc) would have been more successful and had more staying power. - See point #1, you're off base again.

The deleting of posts by this forum really lets me down and tarnishes the credibility of the entire site. How can anyone take this sites reviews and Overland Journal reviews seriously when it appears there is a good ol boy network going on here. And of course there is always a cheer leader like yourself to back up this poor decision making.

Obviously this round of posts will just be deleted again and only a small number of people will know anything about it. I guess this type of moderation works afterall.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The deleting of posts by this forum really lets me down and tarnishes the credibility of the entire site. How can anyone take this sites reviews and Overland Journal reviews seriously when it appears there is a good ol boy network going on here. And of course there is always a cheer leader like yourself to back up this poor decision making.

Obviously this round of posts will just be deleted again and only a small number of people will know anything about it. I guess this type of moderation works afterall.

You obviously don't know XP Camper and Marc... if there is a good-old-boy network out there, a crazy Austrian former-chef is not part of it. :)

forty2

Adventurer

Pretty much covered all the ground I would have, nothing else to add but I think adding another name to those dismayed at the deletion of what seemed like a perfectly valid collection of posts isn't a bad thing.

I read the posts that were put in multiple threads. My immediate thought was that they would be deleted since they were vague and just trashing on the product. Especially after seeing the post count. Now I know that everyone was new at one time, but to come on a forum just to bash a certain product and not actually post pics or evidence seemed really fishy. It's the internet, I don't let it get to me I guess.

bill harr

Adventurer
I have met Marc at the WTW Rally at Meadow Lake. Yep he would not be part of the old boy network. His campers look first class to me, V1 out of my price range and I like the layout of the FWC better than the V2 or V3. I am following the Alaskawilds who I met a Meadow Lake on their trip from Alaska to the bottom of South America in their XP, no camper problem in over a year.

Rather than delete the post, XP owners should step up and repute the allegations. I also will be looking at the reviews with a grain of salt after the deletions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach