Spy photo of new AT Trailer

boblynch

Adventurer
Martyn,

Very cool project - can't wait to see the finished prototype. Do you have a timeline for completion of the prototype, testing, and tentative production schedule roughed out? Anything you'd like to share with the eager public? Given the rapid rate of posts to this thread I think you're on to something.

A small cassette toilet and shower as options would go a long way towards selling this to the boss lady. Best of luck on this wonderful project.

Bob

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
boblynch said:
Martyn,

Very cool project - can't wait to see the finished prototype. Do you have a timeline for completion of the prototype, testing, and tentative production schedule roughed out? Anything you'd like to share with the eager public? Given the rapid rate of posts to this thread I think you're on to something.

A small cassette toilet and shower as options would go a long way towards selling this to the boss lady. Best of luck on this wonderful project.

Bob

Bob

We have some commitments for the next week, then it's full steam ahead. It's very difficult to predict when it will be ready.

The chassis and suspension is already in production, as we will be using a modified Chaser design. So it's proven.

Fitting a dedicated shower is very possible, there are lots of units to choose from, but they are expensive. They need propane or diesel and an electric water pump. Water weighs 8.35 lbs per gallon and a dedicated water tank would have to be at least 10 gallons, 83.5 lbs. The tank would be 1.5 cubic feet. The labor to fit and plumb all of this is also expensive.

Storage space for a cassette toilet is simple, building a dedicated area for a toilet is expensive.

The tent is expandable on both sides to double or triple the area under canvas. It would make a lot of sense to dedicate areas within these regions for a toilet and a shower, rather than trying to do something in the main tent.

Privacy enclosures could be built in these add on areas. A shower could be set up with a privacy enclosure with a base that contains the gray water. The base can be drained by a garden hose.

The floor space in the main tent will be around 44 sq.ft. which is enough room for one adult to sleep or a couple of kids in, or a card table and 3 or 4 chairs. The area could be used when needed for a porta potty.

So we can build you anything you like. All that we need to work out is if we build the unit of your dreams will anyone be able to afford it?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
My offer to Beta test a prototype still stands. :sombrero:
As for names I'm partial to:

The Ultimate Trailer
TUTgray.gif

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So far we've had a lot of feedback on what you'd like to see in the new trailer, as in toilets, showers, etc.
What amenities would you like to see in the trailer?
What amenities would make or break the sale for you and your family?
Are there different ways we could accommodate your requirements that would keep the costs reasonable?
What brands and models of products would you recommend (website link if possible), and what price range does your recommendation fit into ?
Would you prefer to see built in units or free standing units (as in showers, heaters, etc.)

Thank you for any ideas of feedback.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I'd like to see a kitchen sink with a manual pump. To keep costs down it could be a plastic sink i dont care, doesnt need to be stainless. Maybe use a second feed line from the 19 gal poly tank and have it connect to the handle pump spout at the flip down sink. I think thats the one think that's missing from our Horizon kitchen as it stands. A place to do dishes.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Martyn said:
So far we've had a lot of feedback on what you'd like to see in the new trailer, as in toilets, showers, etc.
What amenities would you like to see in the trailer?
What amenities would make or break the sale for you and your family?
Are there different ways we could accommodate your requirements that would keep the costs reasonable?
What brands and models of products would you recommend (website link if possible), and what price range does your recommendation fit into ?
Would you prefer to see built in units or free standing units (as in showers, heaters, etc.)

Thank you for any ideas of feedback.

Amenities:
-A water tank with a hand or electric pump would be nice.
-An auxiliary fuel tank like those found on Toy haulers would be cool but Jerry can holders would be okay.
-12V for accessories like a light and vent fan. (Venting hot air as well as "other" fumes is important.)
-LPG tank with hook ups outside for a stove/BBQ/Zodi type water heater and perhaps inside for a heater.
-A table outside big enough for the stove and some food prep.
-One big thing we miss from our traditional RV trailers is hot water.

Make/break:
-I think a place to stand up and change as well as take a late night nature break pretty much seals the deal for my SO.
-Fast set-up break down is important to me.
-The dog doesn't get a vote, other wise we would spend every vacation chasing rabbits and finding places to get wet.
-Extra fuel transport is a necessity.

Cost cutting;
I don't know about everybody else but we already have some decent camping equipment. We would be okay with using our existing gear, stove lights etc., to save a few bucks. An upgrade path to built ins would be cool. Maybe a modular kitchen upgrade.

Outback camper trailers I really like this style.

Drifta Kitchens have a good concept for a pull out kitchen.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I know how extremely unlikely this will be and I'm sorry if it upsets you Martyn......But I really like the Commander by Conqueror.

But for me I would want the option of a kitchen,bathroom,and shower.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Other than a good slide out kitchen, my most appreciated option on my KK is the diesel heater. It really opens up the comfortable range of use in the colder winter temps.

Diesel space or water heaters are expensive though so if offered, I would suggest they be offered as options so the base unit's price won't go through the roof but one could order the option if they wanted the extra.

Mayne

Explorer
Tucson T4R said:
Other than a good slide out kitchen, my most appreciated option on my KK is the diesel heater. It really opens up the comfortable range of use in the colder winter temps.

Diesel space or water heaters are expensive though so if offered, I would suggest they be offered as options so the base unit's price won't go through the roof but one could order the option if they wanted the extra.

I like the idea of a heater. What about a catalitic propane heater like the Buddy heaters.... Safer cause of an O2 shut off, and if you already have appliances running off propane, no other fuel storage would be needed.
Oh... I also think the comfy matress would be nice. I'm young enough to do it, but I'm getting old enough to feel it after.

Mayne

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Tucson T4R said:

Ditto on the air and hydronic (water) heaters...as long as the water heater is instant type if possible. And I agree it should be an option to help keep the target price point lower...and face it some folks just don't need/want these accoutrements.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
spressomon said:
Comfortable mattress.
X2 on that. Something like the sleep number bed that you could deflate for travel but inflate thick enough to keep my fat butt from bottoming out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater