Spy photo of new AT Trailer

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Please keep the ideas coming. I'm making a list.

The trailer will have a pull out kitchen as an option. If you don't want the kitchen it will be a storage area.

Notes taken on water heater, sinks, tent heater. Please help me with brands and vendors.

Andrew, the Disco ball is not an option, it's compulsory, part of the purchase agreement, part of your life. :sombrero:

Martyn

rusty_tlc said:
X2 on that. Something like the sleep number bed that you could deflate for travel but inflate thick enough to keep my fat butt from bottoming out.

Rusty and Dan

Any recommendations on a mattress?

If the area under the bed has some R value would a 3" thick thermorest do it for you?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What a cool bunch of guys... We have gone from Mario’s "Party Lights" on the Chaser to Martyn's "Disco Ball"

Look out ExPo Trophy on social night :)

Martyn said:

The trailer will have a pull out kitchen as an option. If you don't want the kitchen it will be a storage area.

Notes taken on water heater, sinks, tent heater. Please help me with brands and vendors.

Andrew, the Disco ball is not an option, it's compulsory, part of the purchase agreement, part of your life. :sombrero:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:

My diesel heater is a Webasto:

http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_rv.html

http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_rv_heaters_826.html

It works extreemly well and only sips fuel.

I think Scott has another similar diesel heater, you can check with him on the manufacturer.

Martyn

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Martyn said:

From a maintenance point of view I would stick with common N. American RV appliance manufactures. Coleman, Domestic, Suburban, Norcold. Kind of pedestrian but it's nice to be able to source parts in BFE. I think Atwood makes a tankless marine water heater.
Here is a list I googled
major manufactures of RV appliances

Martyn said:
Rusty and Dan

Any recommendations on a mattress?

If the area under the bed has some R value would a 3" thick thermorest do it for you?
We owned RV trailers for over 20 years, the only mattress we were ever happy with was an inner spring we had custom made for our 1957 Mercury restoration project. I doubt that would be practical for your needs.
I wish I had a better suggestion.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
For us petrol and propane users, in an ideal world, it would be nice to have the air and water heater utilize #1 Propane (clean, efficient, already carry it and generally easy to source in most towns); #2 Gasoline (same as above...but a bit messier to deal with).

Regarding the mattress: Depending how much vertical space you can accomodate my preference would NOT be for an air inflatable...takes too much time and although I love my Exped DAM (Down Air Mattress) for backpacking I generally prefer to not sleep on air due to the bounciness...especially when Sandy is along ;-). And this might be something you can have as an option anyway. Most towns have custom mattress manufacturers...a 4" futon style mattress (or? I am not really up on what might be available for RV type use) might be good...not too tall but comfortable enough for camping.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:

The sink per Mario's original tip to me could be sourced from a commercial kitchen supply. They do come in a wide variety of sizes, depths and even gauge thickness. They are fairly inexpensive as SS sinks go...and could be incorporated into a slide out unit simply and affordably. I can help you with the little mods to make this approach work best.

SS IMO is the only way to go for the sink: It'll last forever, won't rust or chip and is cost effective IMO.

Also I just, after some experimentation, rigged up a new water pump onto my Horizon. It'll push 75psi...which translates into a .75gpm home style shower the way I have it set up! I tested it on our last off-road foray last week and it worked very very well.

Honu

lost on the mainland
mostly ditto all the ideas the others have ?

my only other thing is a nice small outside spray nozzle to wash off mud or sand or ? before entering tent !
I can set out a sprayer but its not the same as a built in off the water tank

deal breakers for me would be to small bed for family of 2 adults and 2 little ones so a king size bed would be killer but somehow doubt it :(
but that is the one thing all these types unit lack is a nice size bed

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
How long would it run on a gallon of diesel, if the outside temps were in the 40's ?

Any problem with gelling of the fuel at low temps?

Can you run it on Waste Veggie Oil?

Not sure on the gelling of the fueld since in super low temps I have had the fuel inside the tented area so it wasn't really exposed to the low temps.

Also not sure on the veggie fuel.

I tap into my Sceptor 5gal for my diesel and my longest test was 7 days, running it every night when the outside temps were in the 30's. I still had a couple gallons left. It's thermostat controlled and I keept the inside tent temp in the high 60s.

RichmondBasin07050.jpg

It has small pump that just sips on the fuel as needed and the blower inside runs off my 12V system. It also has a flex exhaust pipe that runs the exhaust outside the canvas through a slit when fully enclosed. If the trailer is set up without the full canvas the exhaust just goes out the back side of the trailer from underneath.

Edit: It heats the fold out tented sleeping area very efficiently. It is not powerful enough to heat the entire 200 SQ ft canvas enclosed porch area. That would be asking for too much :)

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Martyn said:
the Disco ball is not an option, it's compulsory, part of the purchase agreement, part of your life. :sombrero:

Is it like those paint stripes across the bolts on some things, Removal makes the warranty invalid?
:)

If the H2O heater is going to operate on propane I'm guessing that plumbing will be required. If that is the case, I would suggest the propane specific quick-couplers at strategic places around the trailer as a further option.

Martyn

Honu said:
mostly ditto all the ideas the others have ?

my only other thing is a nice small outside spray nozzle to wash off mud or sand or ? before entering tent !
I can set out a sprayer but its not the same as a built in off the water tank

deal breakers for me would be to small bed for family of 2 adults and 2 little ones so a king size bed would be killer but somehow doubt it :(
but that is the one thing all these types unit lack is a nice size bed

Getting a king size bed requires 73" of width. The orientation of the trailer would mean that the trailer width would end up being around 77 inches wide. That's a good 8 inches wider than most vehicles, and extremely problematic on narrow trails.

The good thing about this design is the kids can sleep off the ground, under canvas, in the enclosed area at the base of the bed.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Getting a king size bed requires 73" of width. The orientation of the trailer would mean that the trailer width would end up being around 77 inches wide. That's a good 8 inches wider than most vehicles, and extremely problematic on narrow trails.

The good thing about this design is the kids can sleep off the ground, under canvas, in the enclosed area at the base of the bed.

The Kamparoo features a queen size mattress...are you thinking you will retain this size Martyn? And if I remember correctly even though it's "only" a queen size mattress there are a couple inches of additional width space on either side...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Martyn said:

This is the problem I have with a standard 8' box pop-up tent trailer. They are all to wide.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:

FYI...I just measured the KK trailer box and mattress. The outside of the trailer box not including fender flares is 66.5" and the mattress is wall to wall at aprox 64". My point being, I wouldn't want to tow anything wider than my KK. :sombrero:

Edit: From the KK website the mattress is: Super Queen Size: 60” x 80” x 5” high density foam - fabric cover ( I must be a lousy tape measure user)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater