Spy photo of new AT Trailer

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I know I am a newbie but I would like to have the option of keeping it simple with the option of adding on if the wallet permits. I myself would only want the trailer as you have designed it (slide out kitchen and all),a place to mount 2 five gallon "jerry cans" (maybe upfront on the tongue???) and a optional extra room for a enclosed shower (for my brother) with the option of a big awning covering it all, maybe some 31 in tires All Terrain tires for the trailer itself supported by leafs and shocks. That to me would be perfect.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
ZR2nit said:
I know I am a newbie but I would like to have the option of keeping it simple with the option of adding on if the wallet permits. I myself would only want the trailer as you have designed it (slide out kitchen and all),a place to mount 2 five gallon "jerry cans" (maybe upfront on the tongue???) and a optional extra room for a enclosed shower (for my brother) with the option of a big awning covering it all, maybe some 31 in tires All Terrain tires for the trailer itself supported by leafs and shocks. That to me would be perfect.

I think we could take care of all of your needs with the exception of the leaves and shocks. If you read my article on suspension you'll understand why we moved away from that set up 5 years ago http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Martyn said:
I think we could take care of all of your needs with the exception of the leaves and shocks. If you read my article on suspension you'll understand why we moved away from that set up 5 years ago http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html

Oh I see. That suspension is alot better and judging by the performance pics of the trialers on your website the airbags perform great. Thanks Martyn I look forward to the new AT trailer and hope we can do business together

rusty_tlc

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
A base model with provisions for easy upgrades would suit me to the Tee.

locrwln said:
I agree. Keep it simple and add to as needed/wanted.

Jack

alia176 said:
x2 Keep it simple and light (<1500 lbs wet)

Redline said:
Than may be a tough target (1500-lbs wet) but maybe 2000-lbs?

Light is good. The rumor mill has it the body will be composite rather than steel so maybe.......?

Martyn

rusty_tlc said:
Light is good. The rumor mill has it the body will be composite rather than steel so maybe.......?

It's no rumor the body will be composite.

On the wet weight of the trailer it’s best if you break the trailer down into components;

Gasoline weighs 6.25 lb per gallon
Water weighs 8.35 lb per gallon
A good canvas tent will weigh 150 lbs
Add a fridge
A stove
A thick mattress
Shower unit
19 gallon Water tank
Propane tank
Fuel cans and holders
Slide outs
Quality hardware
Rectangular square tube chassis, with 1/8" side wall
Tires and rims
Suspension
Body panels
Gas struts
etc. etc.

Work your way through each of these, give them your best guess at a weight , add them all up, and see what your total weight is.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Martyn said:
It's no rumor the body will be composite.

On the wet weight of the trailer it’s best if you break the trailer down into components;

Gasoline weighs 6.25 lb per gallon
Water weighs 8.35 lb per gallon
A good canvas tent will weigh 150 lbs
Add a fridge
A stove
A thick mattress
Shower unit
19 gallon Water tank
Propane tank
Fuel cans and holders
Slide outs
Quality hardware
Rectangular square tube chassis, with 1/8" side wall
Tires and rims
Suspension
Body panels
Gas struts
etc. etc.

Work your way through each of these, give them your best guess at a weight , add them all up, and see what your total weight is.

I would guess, one kerbillion pounds! :D Just kidding, accessories add weight, no getting around it. But it isn't like I am hiking this stuff in on my back anymore :bike_rider: I think the comfort is worth the trade off, some won't, I'm okay with that. ;)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree. If I was to buy one of these I would expect it to weigh a bit more than my Chaser when fully loaded, unless the composite construction is going to be so light that it will more than offset all the possible accessories.

Loaded for a long trip to the 2007 Expedition Portal my Chaser tipped 2,000-lbs on the truck scales. If a 'fully loaded' & wet new AT clamshell could be around 3,000-lbs or less with a very low center of gravity I would be pretty happy.

Rezarf <>< said:
I would guess, one kerbillion pounds! :D Just kidding, accessories add weight, no getting around it. But it isn't like I am hiking this stuff in on my back anymore :bike_rider: I think the comfort is worth the trade off, some won't, I'm okay with that. ;)

Martyn

Redline said:
I agree. If I was to buy one of these I would expect it to weigh a bit more than my Chaser when fully loaded, unless the composite construction is going to be so light that it will more than offset all the possible accessories.

Loaded for a long trip to the 2007 Expedition Portal my Chaser tipped 2,000-lbs on the truck scales. If a 'fully loaded' & wet new AT clamshell could be around 3,000-lbs or less with a very low center of gravity I would be pretty happy.

James

The composite weighs 20% the weight of steel so there is considerable savings in weight.

The Center of Mass will be low than the Chaser because the body is going to weigh less and there is not a 125 lb RTT perched on top of a roof rack. The chassis will then act like an anchor holding the trailer to the ground.

3000 lbs, wow, that's a lot. I'd like to see it a lot less.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Great to hear about the center of gravity and weight.

I was only speculating and again, "fully loaded and wet". I guess it will really depend on how much all the options and fluids weigh.

I know I'm not good at traveling light, and I like to bring lots of stuff. But my loaded Chaser last Fall had: full water = 19-gal, 10-gallons gas, 10-gallons extra water in 5-gallon containers in the box, firewood, food, refer, etc. It was 2,000-lbs. If you can keep a similarly full loaded and wet new clamshell trailer down to this same weight I will be very impressed. If it was 2,500-3,000-lbs or less in the same loaded traveling condition I describe (with many of the options people have suggested/are looking for) I would say you did well.

Martyn said:
James

The composite weighs 20% the weight of steel so there is considerable savings in weight.

The Center of Mass will be low than the Chaser because the body is going to weigh less and there is not a 125 lb RTT perched on top of a roof rack. The chassis will then act like an anchor holding the trailer to the ground.

3000 lbs, wow, that's a lot. I'd like to see it a lot less.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Re the mattress.
I changed out the stock mattress on my Maggiollina Airland for a "Memory Foam" (knoxfoam.com) mattress cut to my specs. Much more comfortable...

safari.gif

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
DaktariEd said:
Re the mattress.
I changed out the stock mattress on my Maggiollina Airland for a "Memory Foam" (knoxfoam.com) mattress cut to my specs. Much more comfortable...

safari.gif

How thick is the matress?

Martyn

Choosing the right memory foam is the issue. There appears to be two main types;

A low density memory foam molds to the shape of the body very fast and is pressure-sensitive.

A high density memory foam reacts to body heat.

We have heard of problems with memory foam turning hard at low temperatures and from our research this would seem to be an result of the foam being made of the high density material.

Reading further on the net there is a discussion that cheap imported memory foam also turns hard at low temperatures.

Anyone had issues with their mattresses at low temperatures?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I did not/have not had issues with the OEM mattress in my Overland and in my Maggiolina. In a perfect world it would be nice if the type of foam in these two RTT's was a bit more forgiving/softer/dual density. However this type of foam is very insulative...works great in cold temps. And now that I have the electric blanket hooked up it sure is nice to hop into a warm bed on a cold night ;-).

We tried a 2" memory foam mattress right after we picked up our Horizon with the Overland. The first and last experience with this mattress was at Coyote Flats in September. It was one of the more miserable nights I have spent trying to sleep/camp because the mattress damn near froze solid...sucked the heat right out of us!

That said everything I have learned about the memory foam type mattresses since then indicates this type of foam is best suited in temps above 65 degrees F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach