Starting a Ujointclothing 4x4 conversion

jammyauto

Adventurer
OK thanks Chris. Maybe I'll try quigley one more time and not even say the word "sportsmobile" to them. I'll just say I'm converting a van myself. Maybe they are a little sore because SMB used to buy alot of vans from them. Maybe I just talked to the wrong person.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Want to let everyone know that I just boxed up the final 3 kits from the first production run. I'm going to start building more kits, but it will take me a few months. So if you're thinking of getting one, get it quick!!!!! ----Chris

Clark

Observer
Excellent news! I highly recommend the brackets. They're top quality, and there's nothing out there that will work in their place.

FROADER

Adventurer
Hey Clark, if you don't mind sharing, how much did those 2" lift leaf packs cost you?

Thanks.

Oh, BTW...My kit should be shipped tomorrow from Chris. :wings: :jumping: :jump: :D

Clark

Observer
I got them from Chris and I'm sure that he will pm you (are you listening Chris ;) ). I'm liking the look of the 2" push. I'll be so glad to get those wheels away from the wheel well. I'm glad to hear that you got the kit. I'm going to be tearing into it mid March if you want to stop by to see what you have in head of you!

I've got a big van weekend planned. On Monday I'm getting front and rear 4.10 gears installed. I was going to go with Chris' guy, but I decided to stay closer to home and went to 4wheelparts. Their assistant manager - Eric, has been really helping me out on a few purchases. I just ordered some spicer greaseable u-joints and a warner premium hubs.

If you need any help with the non Chris parts (springs, brake lines, kit) let me know. I got a good deal on a dana 60 axle out of Utah that beats the locals (Transwest), and a transfer case out of Rhode Island that seems pretty good. I've been very surprised at home much people have stepped up when they've heard that I'm doing it myself.

My next, next step is to get working on the transmission. There's some pretty cool rebuild kits from a guy named RacerX. Its one of the great things about ignoring my limits :jump:

FROADER

Adventurer
Right after I posted that, I figured you got them from Chris.

I'd love to stop by and check it out when you're ready to get it going. I'll help if I can too. :friday:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm here!! My life revolves around this forum it seems!! Let me know if or when you want springs.

Clark

Observer
Its a race to see if I can get the axle in the van before I run out of money (or get beaten by my wife ;) ) This week I finally got the 4.10 gears installed (I've got about 200 miles on the rears) and I think that I'm really going to like them. At the low speeds the van seems much lighter. Its time to start getting the axle together. I picked up some warn premium hubs and spicer greasable u-joints so I'm going to end up with basically a new axle. I also managed to get a pretty good deal on a 4x4 tail extension housing for the transmission ($70 delivered). This summer I'm going to need to get the transmission rebuilt. I'm seriously considering going with RacerX's kit and doing it myself. Because of the axle's different bolt pattern I needed new rims. The rims I ordered finally came in. I'm going to pick them up this week along with some steel wheel spacers. I think I might actually have the axle in the van by Easter.

Clark

Observer
Sadly I do. I bought a set of rims and wheels off ebay (I got a pretty good deal). 10 minutes before I picked them up I realized that the 5.5" backspacing on the new rims doesn't work on the 2003 axle. The tires ended up being a good enough deal that it made the most sense to take the tires off the rims and get new rims. The new rims are 4.5 inch backspacing 17" rims.

Clark

Observer
I've been really surprised about the amount of help I've received on the is project. Today I spent the day driving around L.A. (not my favorite thing to do). I stopped by Chris's house (Ujointclothing - soon to be UjointOffroad) to pick up my rims (he special ordered them for me at the the best price in town). I spent a couple hours looking over his van (amazing workmanship) and learning how to proceed with my mods. When I get the axle installed he's making a trip down to my house to help me connect the steering and to double check my work :) Next I headed over the WheelAdapter.com to pick up my rear wheel spacers with bolt spacing conversion. Its nice working with people who take such pride in their product. I watched while they machined the spacers and custom fit them to my rims. He also gave me a great deal on some new closed end lug nuts. On the way home I stopped off at my local Goodyear. They knew things were tight so they unmounted the tires from my wrong sized rims I got off ebay, and are remounting and balancing all 5 tires for a grand total of $63 (and I didn't by any products from them). Last week I got the gears installed at 4WheelParts in Laguna Hills. They got me great prices on everything (gears, greasable ball and u-joints) and took a lot of pride in their gear install. I've been really lucky to be dealing with people who want to see me successful.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
jammyauto said:
Hey Chris, What do you have to offer to move the oil filter? I heard that Quigly offers a nice kit to relocate the filter but I tried to buy one from them and they would not sell me one since my van is not a quigly. Go figure. Don't really want to go the amsoil route as that is really the only alternative that SMB offers. Just want to move the stock filter.
There are billet (NOT die-cast!) filter pads and filter adapters available. Presumably there are late model Ford applications to fit what ever engine you've got. Don's Industrial in Ventura (Stanley Ave & Vta Ave) can provide you with Aeroquip FC332 hose and the necessary Barb-tite fittings or Herman can probably set you up with braided SS bits (though I hate that stuff - blingy with little return). PM if you want further info as this sort of thing is part of my normal job duties.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Will it work with the Van canister filter? if so, send me some info, I'd appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach