Starting Over... Taco Style!

viatierra

Explorer
Hey Everyone…
Thanks for the interest and following along. We’ve had some progress this week so expect an update after a little trail test this weekend.
Oh yeah :exclaim:

It is interesting to hear about others issues in locating a 6-speed TRD. When I started looking a few months ago, I had no problem simulating a build at Toyota.com exactly like I wanted (although I have trouble trying to do it now). Later, Camelback Toyota has happy to order whatever I wanted as long as I gave them a small deposit... I would just have to wait 3-4 weeks (although it was actually closer 6). In fact, they had an interesting truck in stock (6-speed, Sport, double cab, silver). Despite their efforts to convince me, I decided to wait because I needed the TRD w/locker and really wanted blue. :eek:rngartis

I’ve had a couple of questions about the color. It isn’t as drastic as Mark’s black Frontier, but it is decidedly nonExpo. After my last vehicle troubles, I had the idea to do a karma throwback to some previous vehicles that treated me really well. I’d never consider myself superstitious, but I need this truck to perform for a long time. I’ll take all the mojo I can get!!

Stay tuned…

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
Work Begins!

In the past couple of weeks since I took delivery of the truck, I’ve taken care of a few small items. Mostly temporary solutions that get life behind the wheel functional: CB & GPS mounting, reconstituting my gear, figuring out what’s missing or junk. That is going to be a work in progress for awhile.

The good news is that we are starting to get some of the waiting goodies out of their boxes and installed! Last weekend, Mark and I slapped on the Demello Stage I kit! Other than the fact we were a bit slow at the job (think, “Darrell and his other brother Darrell…”). Everything came together nicely. Demello did short me the hardware for one of the Bilstein 5100s. Although they promised to ship out replacements, I wanted to get the job done. We simply had to make a stop to pick up new bushings and locknut.

Visually, everything in this kit is impressive. The Donahoes are Guinness Stout! What is the diameter on those shafts? 5/8 inch? The Bilstein 5100s are 2x the size of stock. My girl is developing some nice curves with the Deaver AAL…

viatierra

Explorer
Demello install progress

1. Call the taxidermist. We bagged our first leaf pack!
2. Did you know that in High School some of the ladies nicknamed him "Markle Sparkle"? I don't suppose this is why...

viatierra

Explorer
Ready for the initial trail test!

A few days later, the tires went on. The bad news is that Discounted Wheel Warehouse called to say that the Cooper Discoverer STs are long backordered with no idea when a new batch will be in. So much for saving a few bucks here! Wanting to experiment with the 255 85 R16 size, I opted to have my local Discount Tire install BFG Mud Terrains. They’re noisy. They’re more money… but they are HOT! We all know they perform too. Now that it’s done, I’m totally happy with the result.

The only thing left was to find out what this whole package can do. Yesterday, a little group of us did a dusk run to Saguaro Lake for some hills, scenery, grilled salmon & cervezas at the water’s edge.

Since the Maggiolina showed up, Samantha must ask me 10 times a day, “Are we going camping today?” Hopefully a picnic at the lake will hold her off for a few more days…

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
Here she is!

Overall stance is increased 3.5 inches (1.5 from the 255’s and 2 from the Demello kit). Other than the fact that I need a bit more practice operating 3 pedals… we handled everything the Coves threw at us quite easily. We marched up nasty hills, crawled rocks & straddled ruts like a champ. The BEST part is that she handled the thick sandy washes and washboards like an interstellar battle cruiser!
:ar15:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Excellent Greg, the truck looks great and glad to see you gettin her done ... I especially love that you still have temp tags on and already have all these mods.

So what's next? the sliders or the rack for the tent? or ?????

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Cervezas at the lake with Aaron and Mark..... What a boring afternoon that must have been. :cow:

Your new Tacoma is getting started off nicely. I like the dark blue. Good call on the MT's and Demello set up.
Nice to see little Ms. Co-Pilot approves too.

viatierra

Explorer
jeffryscott said:
Excellent Greg, the truck looks great and glad to see you gettin her done ... I especially love that you still have temp tags on and already have all these mods.

So what's next? the sliders or the rack for the tent? or ?????

The sliders are next since they are ready to go. The logististics for the tent rack going a bit slow. I have a couple of lines out there trying to enlist some help with the fabrication... Sam is really applying the pressure! :violent-smiley-031: Let's get the girls together soon. We'll have to settle for sleeping on the ground.

viatierra

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Cervezas at the lake with Aaron and Mark..... What a boring afternoon that must have been. :cow:

Your new Tacoma is getting started off nicely. I like the dark blue. Good call on the MT's and Demello set up.
Nice to see little Ms. Co-Pilot approves too.

Yep! The good life... What else could I want??

kcowyo

ExPo Original
viatierra said:
What else could I want??

Well I was going to say some Chips Ahoy, but I see you have those covered as well. :chowtime:

Be wary of your sibling & sibling-in-law, however. Apparently they prefer to eat cookies while naked.

Naked-cookie-eating-Stephens.....

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
WOW - that look great! Glad it all went well on the install and test run.

After our 8 state vacation trip I'll get back to posting up some day trips - hope to see ya on one!

Mark

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Greg, it looks awesome! Especially with those 255 BFG's - muy macho and well proportioned to the body. I dig it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven