Starting Over... Taco Style!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
TACODOC said:
Love the Indigo Ink! :bigbossHL:

x2 :punk03:

My little Diva still isn't up for a full night camping out yet. Hopefully next summer she'll be ready for it. Taking the wee ones out is more fun than I thought it would be.

A tall, chilly Cerveza for a good Dad - :beer:

viatierra

Explorer
Rack Sneak Peak...

Stopped by Hunter Offroad today to take a look and the progress. Should be finished Friday!! (ish)

I can't wait to break it in...

2090672838_704e3470be_b.jpg

2089890811_058510465b_b.jpg

Looks like my copilot digs it too!

2089887751_ab1cb79ede_b.jpg

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I like the looks of that rack. I do fabrication work and I love stuff that is different ,can't wait to see the finished product.:gunt:

viatierra

Explorer
eurorom said:
Oh! and do not forget to return your mexico permit!:Astrologist:

It's just the gooey residue, but it gives me warm fuzzy feeling when I see it. I just don't feel like scraping it off yet!

I picked up the truck today. Platform is done and tent mounted! I am totally pleased with the final product. I'll take pictures tomorrow during an initial trail test. Of course its raining so we'll see how that goes.

viatierra

Explorer
Tent and platform installed!!

Sleeping platform and Maggiolina are finally in their permanant home. The details need to be finished up (lights, anteneas & awning) but I'm totally pleased. I did an initial trail shakedown yesturday. Take a look:

2099197133_15e7720cae_b.jpg

2099969124_fede045676_b.jpg

2099216149_f67c40d5c9_b.jpg

viatierra

Explorer
About the design... in one of my earlier posts I drafted an earlier concept that was very simple. I wanted to have a few curves instead of a box so it would match the style of new Tacoma's. My fabricator, John Hunter did that and more! I stole several ideas from others on the board. The basic idea of mounting a Maggiolina like this came from DesertDude's Tacoma.

Then TacoDoc's platform got me thinking about adding a front piece to create a place for lights and anteneas.

2099196213_c70feeb674_b.jpg

Flyingwil's older rack incorporated removable crossbars for easy tent removal and increased utility of the truck bed.

2099273615_3ae9aa86aa_b.jpg

To make that feature even cleaner, Hunter used these babies. Haven't tried them out yet, but they are pretty trick. They fit together like puzzle pieces and secure with 2 allen bolts.

2100051618_d7970e9b21_b.jpg

All the the angles match various lines in the truck. Little aluminum blocks were milled and threaded to fit in the stock tie-down rail for mounting. The tie-downs are still usable and adjustable.

2099990252_0f0e5aa06a_b.jpg

For additional rigidity, gussets were added that can function as additional tie-downs. All in all, I think it looks great and is uber-functional!

2099197987_a04f9b9b3b_b.jpg

2099212291_fc1a3be634_b.jpg

The Tacoma is pretty tall now, but the rack and tent only weight around 200 lbs. Any changes in performance while rock crawling, highway acceleration and street cornering are barely detectable. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
SWEET, glad it is done.

No more ground dwelling for you. Will you keep the tent attached, or take it off until needed? What kind of hit are you getting on gas mileage?

And finally, What is the intended use for the space just in front of the tent over the cab?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
viatierra said:
Sleeping platform and Maggiolina are finally in their permanant home.
The finished product LOOKS GREAT!

CONGRATS on a VERY cool setup!!!

jeffryscott said:
What kind of hit are you getting on gas mileage?
FWIW- I see an approx. 3mpg decrease with my Maggiolina mounted in a similar position on a 6cyl Tacoma.

viatierra

Explorer
jeffryscott said:
Will you keep the tent attached, or take it off until needed?

What is the intended use for the space just in front of the tent over the cab?

My intention is to keep it attached. I don't drive the truck during the week so the milage drain will only effect trips. The space up front has 6 tabs - 4 lights, CB & 2m anteneas. The hoops are to protect the future lights from trees or whatever. I also needed a few more inches for flipping the latches to the tent's clamshell.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'm really diggin that rack. Very nice design.

I'm curious - what was your decision criteria to go with an open bed with that rack versus a fiberglass topper with a rack on top? It's something I struggle with quite a bit in my long term vision of my truck. For now, I haul a trail bike in my bed so it has to stay open (which is why I have the convertible Bestop).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner