Starting Over... Taco Style!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Wow, congrats Greg! :jumping:

That's a great design and looks awesome, very unique. Those welds are amazing. Some really nice details and touches.

The truck is really coming together quickly. Well, from my point of view. I can see why you've been so eager to get the rack completed. That rack and the Maggiolina has taken your truck from off-roader to adventurer. Very, very nice.

Congrats to you and Mr. Hunter. Well done - :beer:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Really nice design and welding work - fits well with your truck!

What are your plans for the bed?

btw keep track of your crank handle, and clipping the front of your tent ;)

Hunter

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
Wow, congrats Greg! :jumping:

Congrats to you and Mr. Hunter. Well done - :beer:

Thank you for the kind words. I got admit, it's all Greg's idea and design. I just added a little flavor. It was something new for me to do and I enjoyed. I admit, am nervous about what Greg has cooking in his mind now. I'll tell you though, his little observer he's got...she can be a tough critic. :p

All though for as happy as Greg is about his rack, I am probably just as giddy thanks to him introduceing me to this website. :wavey: I signed up about a week ago. This place is great and definatly my speed. We got to chatting in the shop and he mentioned this site. He gave me the address and the rest history. Definatly a great place..

viatierra

Explorer
Jacket said:
I'm really diggin that rack. Very nice design.

I'm curious - what was your decision criteria to go with an open bed with that rack versus a fiberglass topper with a rack on top? It's something I struggle with quite a bit in my long term vision of my truck. For now, I haul a trail bike in my bed so it has to stay open (which is why I have the convertible Bestop).

You know, I think the Canbacks are kind of cool. However, the regular toppers just don't appeal to me. I wanted a truck so that I'd have a TRUCK and all of its usefullness. This rack provides a sleeping platform, a place to carry big stuff like a kayak or canoe... and the crossbars are removable so I can haul something tall in the bed like new 56" plasma TV (hypothetical of course). I also like maintaining excellent visibility. The design gives me everything I want!

As for the bed? No plans. I'll just load the gear in bins or whatever. For the same reasons, I would't want to do something permenant that would reduce the utility of the truck. Maybe inspiration will hit me down the road.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I just re-read the bit about the removable cross bars. PERFECT! I want one :)

viatierra

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
That looks awesome Greg! Well done.

Hunter said:
Thank you for the kind words. I got admit, it's all Greg's idea and design. I just added a little flavor.

I'm glad everyone's diggin' it!

Also, I'm so glad I went with a professional fabricator! I thought hard about renting equipment and teaching myself to bend and weld on this project. There is satisfaction in doing things yourself, but I could NEVER have pulled off anything like this. John did a great job of listening to what I wanted and then just running with the ball. To a large degree he knew what I wanted (needed) more than I did. When I first picked it up I told him that I felt like the Pope "Hey Leonardo, why don't you paint my ceiling?" When you let a master craftsmen do his thing... you get a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
viatierra said:
Ummmm. What if I told you that I already know that a replacement is $34.00???

Next time we see each other around the campfire - ask me how I know that????:smileeek:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Wow Greg, I love it!

John, nice work! Welcome to ExPo, it's great to see you here. I have seen and admired many of your works of art over the years.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
What an outstanding design, very well thought out and it looks damn sweet. :jumping:

Greg, I would be curious to hear about any increased wind noise and what sort of mileage differences you might get with the rack.

Hunter

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Wow Greg, I love it!

John, nice work! Welcome to ExPo, it's great to see you here. I have seen and admired many of your works of art over the years.

Thank You! BajaTaco. I am so diggin' this board and this group. I am definatly looking forward to getting out more and meeting folks on the forum.

When Greg made his "paint the ceiling" crack, I laughed hard. "Dude, that needs to be on a T-shirt!".

I know Greg is kickin' over a few more ideas on the rack. Looking forward to jazzing it up a bit more.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hunter said:
Thank You! BajaTaco. I am so diggin' this board and this group. I am definatly looking forward to getting out more and meeting folks on the forum.

Cool! I am in Prescott so hopefully we'll get to meet up sometime. Yea, Greg is good at that witty humor stuff. It must run in the family (wait util you meet his brother Mark...)

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Greg,

Looks well thought out and very functional, can't wait to get some shots of it in January!

:clapsmile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner