Starting Over... Taco Style!

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
More info on how you ran all the wires for the lights and antennas into the cab please! Really great truck - I'm still in awe of that rack:bowdown:

viatierra

Explorer
Jacket said:
More info on how you ran all the wires for the lights and antennas into the cab please! Really great truck - I'm still in awe of that rack:bowdown:

Sorry for the delay Jacket... I've have the details to finish up before I wanted to post the nitty gritty and pics. It'll be up this weekend.

viatierra

Explorer
Busy January!!

I've had a great month playing with the new configuration of the Tacoma:

My esteemed brother and I took a Daddy & Daughter day and ran Montana Mountain together. It was a gorgeous day after rain so Mark snapped one of his insane pictures that ended up in the 2008 Expedition Portal Calander!

2235656332_468828b8af_o.jpg

Next I headed off to Death Valley with the girlfriend and had an increadible time. I hadn't spent multiple days in the Maggiolina before. I'm always up at first light when camping, but this tent is so comfortable I was shocked at waking up late each day...

100_3015.jpg

2213451561_b9d1875997.jpg

2214226298_f625011729.jpg

2234899841_a8d9916aa0.jpg

Last I did a portion of the Great Western Trail and camped with Samantha:

2224098214_e1859d24d4.jpg

2223316459_f15765523d.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I've always wanted a dark blue truck. I was so excited when toyota finally had a dark blue tacoma. Yours look particularly good! Its my favorite 2nd gen tacoma right now!!!!
:26_7_2:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Taco style...

Willman said:
Your rig has sure changed since the ET!

Very functional updates! The rig is coming right along and by the looks of things you have all the basics covered for now. The rack design together with the lights came out very nice. I dig it! :wings:
Cheers,
P

viatierra

Explorer
More Electrical details on the Platform

2287646370_c04af9fc62_b.jpg

Here are a couple of more electrical mods that I've finally finished up. It has taken many more hours to get this done than I'd anticipated. I'm still thinking about adding rock lights, but that will mostly be a bling item so it's on hold. I don't want to look at another piece of electrical tape for awhile...

Okay for starters I ran a main fused line directly off the battery, through the firewall, under the plastic thresholds of both driver's side doors and into the compartment behind the rear left seat. In that compartment I installed a Blue Seas Marine fuse block, the main unit for my Yeseau 7800 and two relays for my lights on top of the cab. Yeah, I know that relays are supposed outside, but the wires were there and it was just too convenient. We'll see what happens when one of 'em blows. I've cleaned up this area quite a bit, but still looks abit like spaghetti. Everything is labled and pretty clean. Any ideas on how to make this look any better?

2286852959_f1fb907c52_b.jpg

From here I have one set of wires running back up my center console where I have all my new light switches. The left two are for the the lights on top of the cab. On the right side I have my new LEDs for lighting up the bed and an empty switch for the coming rock lights.

2286853525_46e7d7dd48_b.jpg

The rest of the wires run outside to the bed/rack. When you remove all the plastic panels there were aready 2 1/2 inch holes in cab filled with rubber plugs. I poped out the plugs and put in a couple of Ace Hardware rubber gromets. Through one I passed my CB and 2m antenea cables. The other handled all the power wires. From there everything ran up the gap between the cab and bed. I drilled holes in the tubing of my rack and ran everything inside. Drilling all the holes and fishing the wires around was tricky, but I'm digging how it came out.

2286852029_ef3270ecbd_o.jpg

Over the cab I strung up the antenea's and the 55w lights.

2287639102_5139514823_o.jpg

viatierra

Explorer
2 12v power outlets!

Through the help of some good folks on the forum, I learned what a potted enclosure was: a little plastic box! Google is worthless if you don't know little bits of jargon like that. Well thanks again... Radio Shack had what became a little junction box where I installed 2 12v outlets.

2286851727_d4d821e267_o.jpg

The box has a screw top and seals up quite nicely. Not waterproof but a bit of silicone fixed that. At 2" x 2" x 4" it was the perfect size to install 2 outlets. I put one on each end. The Maggiolina has a dome light that I will plug in one side. The other side I can plug in a fan, electric blanket, laptop... whatever. It is even a convient place to plug in my dorky air compressor.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice job sorting through the details. I like the stealthy lights, good call. Stealthy light switches too.

:beer:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Very nice! I like how you ran all the wires through the tubing on the rack. Clean and stealth! Thanks for the detailed write up.

viatierra

Explorer
Jacket said:
Very nice! I like how you ran all the wires through the tubing on the rack. Clean and stealth! Thanks for the detailed write up.

Thanks guys!

Hopefully I answered your questions about how it was wired up.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
viatierra said:
2287646370_c04af9fc62_b.jpg

Here are a couple of more electrical mods that I've finally finished up. It has taken many more hours to get this done than I'd anticipated. I'm still thinking about adding rock lights, but that will mostly be a bling item so it's on hold. I don't want to look at another piece of electrical tape for awhile...

Okay for starters I ran a main fused line directly off the battery, through the firewall, under the plastic thresholds of both driver's side doors and into the compartment behind the rear left seat. In that compartment I installed a Blue Seas Marine fuse block, the main unit for my Yeseau 7800 and two relays for my lights on top of the cab. Yeah, I know that relays are supposed outside, but the wires were there and it was just too convenient. We'll see what happens when one of 'em blows. I've cleaned up this area quite a bit, but still looks abit like spaghetti. Everything is labled and pretty clean. Any ideas on how to make this look any better?

2286852959_f1fb907c52_b.jpg
Hey, Great looking truck! As for that fuse box, heatshrink and zipties. Thats what I would do anyways.

Carry on :wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven