Starting Over... Taco Style!

viatierra

Explorer
After the chill of Wyoming and the sweat of Utah... we found perfection in Colorado! San Juan must have been quite a dude:

2611817438_27a4f9da48_b.jpg

Mobil snowball fight! If you quit looking at my kid's butt, you'll notice the cool flower clip courtesy of Mrs. Willman. That was her favorite prize of the trip.
2628027039_42bfcf59ca.jpg
2628844322_20a4259752.jpg

Sam lost her first tooth while camped outside of Durango. Funny life milestones:
2611008241_0d287e52ab.jpg

If you want to see more...

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Great pics!

Could your truck be any cooler?
Probably not.

Could your kid be any cuter?
Definitely not.

:sombrero:

viatierra

Explorer
Diggin the pictures! That's really what its all about.

Well Matt (all hail the reigning King...)

The last event of the year worth posting here was Expedition Trophy 2008

In '07 Mark and I took 3rd overall, this year Christine and I took 2nd! She did fantastic and had a great time. Will 2009 finally be my year? Perhaps I should step down and let someone else have a chance… Nah, the Trophy is WAY too much friggin' fun. Don't worry, I'll post pictures if I make the cut again.

3154790350_743b0c3a71_o.jpg

3267504282_59ae587b28_o.jpg

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Awesome Tacoma, a choice itinerary and a fun family to hang with. :clapsmile

Great photo set, worth the wait (ahem...). I shudder to think how many Princess DVD's you endured on the road, but pleasing that shy little heartbreaker of yours is worth enduring every sugary sweet lyric. So did the Tooth Fairy make a visit to the Maggiolina? Sorry about the snow in YNP, but Alaska would have been worse. ;)

I'm so glad I got to join up with the Traveling Stephens Family Circus Tour for a few nights. Let's do it again soon.

:beer:

viatierra

Explorer
Rack Failure!

A couple of more recent improvements to the truck:

Once again, I can't say enough about what an upstanding guy John Hunter is and his work on my tent rack. When I picked it up a year ago, John was apprehensive and wanted to add a support along the rear window. I said No and that I'd keep an eye on it. Well, I didn't and it failed. I called John about bringing it in to be fixed, which he did right away at no charge. Amazing and ridiculous.

(Looking for busted pictures to be posted here)

The fix is solid and slick. I really appreciate John's top notch service and support with his work… It's a matter of pride to him, although I see the failure as more my fault. I won't hesitate recommending his work or using him again in the future.

Since the rack had to be taken apart & rewired after John's welding, I took the opportunity to upgrade a few things that weren't quite done right the first time.

Powder coat
Can't believe the difference compared to the rattle can job that was done the first time. No more rust spots, touch ups and the textured finish is an improvement too. Check out the fixed rack: Layered tubing & new gussets at the break points PLUS a new cross member above the rear window.

3265457678_8bbd789847.jpg
3265456478_fcf9e66849.jpg

3264633947_f80f7a7fa8.jpg

Penne vs. Spaghetti
I have been keeping my eye open for a good solution for cleaning up the wiring around my auxiliary fuse block. I never found what I was looking for, so I invented my own budget solution. I got the largest wiring loom I could find and screwed it in place making a loop around the compartment behind the rear seat. Man, I HATE wiring so it was huge to get this done.

From THIS:
2286852959_f1fb907c52.jpg

To THIS:
3264630979_015ca513dd.jpg

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
RAM GPS mount

Okay, since we're here. I relocated my GPS awhile back. Since there are very few flat surfaces to be found, perhaps this might be helpful to someone else.

I squeezed it in next to the CD player on the factory radio cover. It is flimsy plastic so I cleared out an area and backed it up with a piece of aluminum to screw to.

3154774480_e9cec4bca7.jpg
3153934519_3e1d2063ab.jpg

Voilà!
3154777772_baeee5db28.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of removing the radio and permenantly mounting a tablet PC in the dash here. I could do everything that I use my GPS, laptop, radio, cd player & mp3 player for and much more. Any experiece or thoughts on the concept? It's money I don't have at this moment, but I'm still rolling the details around in my brain for now.

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
Maggiolina Ladder Mod

During the 2008 Expedition Trophy, I had the brilliant idea to use my Maggiolina ladder as a piece of recovery gear. Since the Maggiolina ladder is extendable, I figured that the two pieces could be seperated. I thought I could use the two halves as sand ladders... one in front each rear tire. Unfortunately, the the ladder hardware comes riveted together! What sense does that make??

I used it anyway with great effect. Since I had my rear locker on, I only needed one side to gain traction. Plus, leaving the two pieces together provided additional strength so they didn't get totally mangled during the process. Still, I couldn't help thinking that the rivets were a stupid way to make a piece of gear less usefull.

3154789692_79983dc592_o.jpg

When I finally got home I drilled out the rivets and inspected the damage:

3151466133_03183eed8b_b.jpg

Not too bad! I tweaked the ladder back into shape and reassembled the pieces using normal Ace Hardware nuts & bolts. Having made this simple mod, my ladder is able to be quickly seperated with just a screw driver. Who knows what other used I might find for it now?

• tent ladder
  • self recovery - pair of sand ladders
  • ???

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I used mine for a drying rack to dry towels and such in Saline Valley. I'm sure they'd work for that on the sea shores of old Mexico too...

That's a great idea in an emergency.

:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven