Starting Over... Taco Style!

keezer36

Adventurer
viatierra said:
I don't want to look at another piece of electrical tape for awhile...

Yeah, I know that relays are supposed outside

Any ideas on how to make this look any better?

2286852959_f1fb907c52_b.jpg

viatierra said:
X2, Don't you just love electrical work, the tedium of doing it right?

Could you expound on your "relay" comment if possible? Relays are suppose to be outside? I wasn't aware of this.

I'd fashion a cover of sorts. How are your woodworking skills? Perhaps using those two bolts as anchor points. If you can remove the two bolts and replace it with threaded rod (metric!), You could spin nuts down to secure what the bolts are currently securing and still have the rod come out to secure a cover.
Don't know if the seat would flip back up if that's an issue.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
keezer36 said:
viatierra said:
I don't want to look at another piece of electrical tape for awhile...

Any ideas on how to make this look any better?

<SNIP>
Wiring duct would help you clean up the look. Mount all components in a row or at least facing the duct and install the duct below or in the center. Extra wire can be concealed inside the duct. Duct is available in a lot of different sizes. Makes changes and service nice.
HTH

viatierra

Explorer
keezer36 said:
viatierra said:
X2, Don't you just love electrical work, the tedium of doing it right?

Could you expound on your "relay" comment if possible? Relays are suppose to be outside? I wasn't aware of this.

Thanks for the advice guys... I'll tinker with it somehow. As for the relays, the advice I'd gotten from a couple of sources said to put the underneath or under the hood. The story was that when they eventually go bad relays smoke. I extrapolated that into an unlikely but possible fire hazzard??

I put them inside anyway.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow, nice thread.

Those are some cool LED's illuminating your bed. Nice potted enclosure too!

How's the jeniko mount mounting these days? Holding up well still? Any regrets? What hardware did you use? I like the price, I'm just looking for some real world feed back... Thanks!

viatierra

Explorer
Thanks Mark!
I suppose I'm due for a few minor updates here...

As for the Jenko, certainly for the money you can't beat it. That setup is only in the vehicle for special occasions & big trips. It is simple to pop in and out. I have the base plate permanently mounted to the tunnel. No special hardware used, except for the additional brace I added. I still get a bit of vibration, but it is less than what movement comes from the computer screen itself.

I say give it a shot! As before, for the money you can't beat it. Lately I've been dreaming about a different system. I think it would be incredibly cool and efficient to remove the radio and permanently mount a small tablet PC in the center of the dash!

ECVMatt

Observer
vietierra

I love that rack! I was thinking about having a similar rack built for my 05 Tacoma. Have there been any clearance issue with the roof? I was wondering if the frame flex would allow the rack to bump the roof?

I am considering a two tier system that would allow me to carry action packers below the roof line or move the bars up one level to carry my OZ tent, lumber, etc..your fabricator hit it right on the mark. The moveable bars are awesome.

Could you give me a general guestimate on the price. I understand if you want to keep that private, but I am trying to come up with a budget for this addtion to my truck.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Matt

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
2008 Wrap up

I'm going to post up a few highlights from the year and include some of the brushups to the truck...

In the meantime, if you ever want to tag along on one of our adventures, it looks like I've created a place just for you!

rmt_0603.JPG

Happy New Year!

viatierra

Explorer
Spring '08

We started the spring with a good ol' snow run. It was Sam's first enjoyable trip to the snow. Monumental...
2278805716_b08c5043fb.jpg
2278021753_9d3ce74242.jpg

Most of you know about traveling across the Barry M Goldwater Airforce Range when doing Arizona's famous El Camino Del Diablo... but did you know that you can use your permit to explore a different section of the range on the east side of highway 85? Christine and I had a great time checking out the spring flowers in this less popular area. Highly recommended.

2343539407_888db31e46.jpg
2343524785_7e9b8e88e8.jpg

We caught up with several Expo people for some fun near the Chiricaguas...
Ran into Tim (SOAZ) and many others at the first Four Peaks Cleanup...

viatierra

Explorer
Here's a quick overview of what we did:

We blasted north in order to take our time on the return.
Lunch at Bear Lake in Idaho(click for more pics)

viatierra

Explorer
We basically froze our nickers off when we finally landed in Yellowstone. We pretty much experienced the park through the windows.

2581093213_b644f36755_b.jpg

So much for pedaling amongst the Buffalo!

2581920712_1e4a8bbc15.jpg

We caught up with the Utah Expo folks for Father's Day. It was great to meet some new faces, lets the kids play and plant ourselves for a couple of days...

2581958012_421bf966a1_b.jpg

More pictures

viatierra

Explorer
2593136845_96690c3066_b.jpg

After freezing up north, we tackled 100+ degrees in Southern Utah. Child's play really. We're from Phoenix! What a contrast in just a few hours drive though.

We spent 3 AMAZING days poking and napping our way along the White Rim Trail.

Blowing bubbles at Gooseneck
2593097743_9557ef358c_b.jpg

Vagabond stress:
2593953506_d04d1f7b39_b.jpg

Canyoneering like a princess
2593969080_219d579493_b.jpg

More pictures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven