Stormtrooper Build Thread

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Were yours studded too? It's night and day. In slush, the Toyos are scary! :oops:
They were not. They were on the truck already when I bought it. I bet they would've been unstoppable had they been studded though.
Still never had any issues with them. I'd buy them again. I got 70,000 miles or so out of my 1st set! Bought a 2nd set which were still on the truck when I traded it.

Macfly

Would you share your alignment specs with us please? I'm just a month away from getting 'Stromtroopered' according to Matt & Brent - can't wait!

Macfly

My truck is going to CO to have everything put together by Brent & Matt in late May, then I'll drive it back and see what else needs doing. Obviously I'll be following you to Deaver to get resprung, but do you think the air bags are necessary? I wanted a simpler setup in case I do get to do the South American leg of the dream drive.

Anything else you'd recommend?

eyemgh

Who is installing the Carli?

Airbags aren’t necessary. They were the wrong solution to a problem, but I find uses for them none the less. Don’t get them though.

Last edited:

Macfly

Who is installing the Carli?

Airbags aren’t necessary. They were the wrong solution to a problem, but I find uses for them none the less. Don’t get them though.
Thanks so much for the Airbag note, and CJC did the Carli's several months ago, so far the install seems okay, but I've hardly used the truck since the installation.

eyemgh

Thanks so much for the Airbag note, and CJC did the Carli's several months ago, so far the install seems okay, but I've hardly used the truck since the installation.

Did you do radius arms?

If you did, it’s probably set up right. They’re the number one Carli dealer.

You essentially need 4° or so of caster and then you’ll need about 4° of pinion. You can only get the former with shims at the top and the arm. The camper is heavier on the drivers side so it’ll tilt unless compensated. Jeff at Deaver knows his stuff but make sure he has a full compliment of HD shims.

Also, ask CJC how they set it up. ?

Last edited:

Macfly

I do have radius arms, and explained to Carli what the build plan was but didn’t know if they did castor or pinion. Is that something that Deaver can do?

tacollie

Glamper
I do have radius arms, and explained to Carli what the build plan was but didn’t know if they did castor or pinion. Is that something that Deaver can do?
If you have the radius arms you don't need the caster shims. If you lift the front of the truck without correcting castor the steering characteristics are going to be undesirable. Maybe even cause death wobble. I kept the factory radius arms and installed shims.

Deaver can do pinion shims. When you lift the rear it can change the pinion angle causing it to whine. Shims between the axle and the leafs fix it.

@eyemgh Did they not correct the caster in the initial install? That would be an exciting driving experience. Truck looks good.

eyemgh

If you have the radius arms you don't need the caster shims. If you lift the front of the truck without correcting castor the steering characteristics are going to be undesirable. Maybe even cause death wobble. I kept the factory radius arms and installed shims.

Deaver can do pinion shims. When you lift the rear it can change the pinion angle causing it to whine. Shims between the axle and the leafs fix it.

@eyemgh Did they not correct the caster in the initial install? That would be an exciting driving experience. Truck looks good.

Carli recommends a lot of caster, over 4. The only way we could get there was radius arm shims and caster shims. It drives like a dream now.

Deaver can do pinion shims, and leveling, but they don’t stock a full run of HD shims. The max they had when I added the leaves was 2. It needed double that. I’d let them know what’s coming in so they have what you need when you get there.

eyemgh

CJC probably did caster. You’ll want it rechecked once loaded though anyway. They know all this stuff, but you want more than 4. Deaver can and should do pinion and leveling. It’ll most likely sit low on the drivers side until you do that. If you don’t get the angle right, it’ll whine on deceleration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach