strange gear obsessions :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
we had a Kodiak Canvas same look style of the springbar and us fitting in the FJ it was a no go

we loved the tent I miss canvas and the huge tub floor etc...
my issue was the pack size and weight
we wanted a large tent though ? so we ended up with a Snow Peak LandLock which is huge but its also like having a eating room and changing room and general area to change the kids and stuff and still pack a bit smaller and lighter than the springbar but offer way more room and versatility for us

but I think your idea of the tent is also my point more than just light weight gear its also a struggle what to let go of ? if one loves that tent then I say get it use it and love it you just know you have to make a sacrifice somewhere else with gear

since you are saving so much room with the Kermits maybe you can swing the springbar with pack space saved ;) like nwoods said it will have to replace something ? and was again the original idea and struggle we have and why I started its that balance and was looking at new chairs ?

question on the Kermit chairs with the extensions ? are they still stable or do they feel wobbly and can they fall off ? my fear is moving them around the camp site and having to keep putting the extensions back on :) but they are still on a short list for me :)
might just have to order one see how comfy they are for me as everyone says they are comfy :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I grew up in a family of backpackers and mountaineers. I've always been light, but comfy with my gear selection. In 2005 I started to change my methods and before long I was pulling the back seats out of our Discovery to accommodate more crap. Then our camp sessions become more about gear management than anything. By the time I finished deploying the awning, crawling around to set up an RTT, and setting up our overly equipped kitchen, I was exhausted. I remember one trip saying to my wife, "we have way too much $#!*."

I prefer traveling without the car being stuffed to the gills. We've also altered our travel to accommodate a smaller car so we can cover more miles. All of our camping kit fits in a compact Thule 1200 XT cargo box on the roof. If it can't fit the box...it stays home.

The one exception - the ARB fridge.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I grew up in a family of backpackers and mountaineers. I've always been light, but comfy with my gear selection. In 2005 I started to change my methods and before long I was pulling the back seats out of our Discovery to accommodate more crap. Then our camp sessions become more about gear management than anything. By the time I finished deploying the awning, crawling around to set up an RTT, and setting up our overly equipped kitchen, I was exhausted. I remember one trip saying to my wife, "we have way too much $#!*."

I prefer traveling without the car being stuffed to the gills. We've also altered our travel to accommodate a smaller car so we can cover more miles. All of our camping kit fits in a compact Thule 1200 XT cargo box on the roof. If it can't fit the box...it stays home.

The one exception - the ARB fridge.

I am heading this way more and more with smaller lighter
even not using pelican cases yeah they are nice and tough but heavy load em up with gear etc..

thinking of making a over 3-4 day setup so we bring extra things we had as comfort items like the coleman hot water heater :) a luxury we got used to with the trailer ! but just going to get a pump top setup for my scepter water can and call it good :)

VATACO

Adventurer
Most of my trips are solo these days which has allowed me to lighten considerably.

My work schedule equals unannounced trips and I typically leave the IGT gear home and take the Jetboil and a backpacking meal and eat odds and ends during the day.

I've switched from Big directors chairs to an Alite Mantis chair, trading my 63 qt ARB for a 50Qt ARB, and bought a softopper so that I can sleep in my short bed tacoma.

Eventually I'll build a sleeping platform, but still working on the design.

Granted the East Coast is not exactly deserted or open.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I absolutely LOVE my Kermit chair. I have the lift kit and when I use it it works like a champ. The legs lock in place. and they can also be secured in place if you plan on hem being a more permanent thing. I'm 6'3 200#. It's comfy and sturdy.

we had a Kodiak Canvas same look style of the springbar and us fitting in the FJ it was a no go

we loved the tent I miss canvas and the huge tub floor etc...
my issue was the pack size and weight
we wanted a large tent though ? so we ended up with a Snow Peak LandLock which is huge but its also like having a eating room and changing room and general area to change the kids and stuff and still pack a bit smaller and lighter than the springbar but offer way more room and versatility for us

but I think your idea of the tent is also my point more than just light weight gear its also a struggle what to let go of ? if one loves that tent then I say get it use it and love it you just know you have to make a sacrifice somewhere else with gear

since you are saving so much room with the Kermits maybe you can swing the springbar with pack space saved ;) like nwoods said it will have to replace something ? and was again the original idea and struggle we have and why I started its that balance and was looking at new chairs ?

question on the Kermit chairs with the extensions ? are they still stable or do they feel wobbly and can they fall off ? my fear is moving them around the camp site and having to keep putting the extensions back on :) but they are still on a short list for me :)
might just have to order one see how comfy they are for me as everyone says they are comfy :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
coming back to my old thread as I am still trying to get smaller/lighter :) as my kids get larger and we now have two dogs for sure the time has come my next big change will be the vehicle we are in :)

but I have jumped back and forth from the little things like going from our Corelle ware plates and bowls which I like to eat off vs the plastic GSI ones ? last trip had the corelle but silly as it is the 2-3 lbs her sand there start adding up I am thinking of going back again to the GSI ?
hate this struggle of comfort/heavier VS lighter/easier

things I am OK to give up wife is not our big orange water cooler :) brought along our extra 4 foot lifetime folding table and did not bring it out this last trip so I think it stays home from now on :)
quit brining our coleman hot water heater but I kinda miss it at times ? maybe longer trips would be OK

we both agree cause of our dogs and in the morning a tent heater is nice but maybe smaller model
wife and I still have cots but small light ones and maybe I just go to double pads :) I still like that comfort

one issue now is fast setup ! might get a smaller tent that is easier to setup for a quick overnight but big enough for the 6 of us

so still curious how many others struggle with less and less weight

southpier

Expedition Leader
iPod has over 3,800 songs. buy good earphones. if you're traveling with a companion, get some sort of docking gadget. I need tunes sometimes, but can't always predict when!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
still curious how many others struggle with less and less weight

I hear you. It's a constant struggle. My biggest net gain in space has been with high quality down sleeping bags, and more compact sleeping pads. That change alone has saved about 6 cubit feet.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yup :) we went with some nice down bags and pads this time no self inflating :) got 3 memo pads and one big agnes
I think I said in this or the other thread also switched to the big agnes helinox chairs ! for sure us with kids chairs adds up in bulk and weight also

I hear you. It's a constant struggle. My biggest net gain in space has been with high quality down sleeping bags, and more compact sleeping pads. That change alone has saved about 6 cubit feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater