STUCK pictures

photo_i

Explorer
We were stuck in quick sand in Utah once, but lucky for us there were some chaparral bushes around strong enough to hold van's weight, so we didn't have to bury a spare tire to winch ourselves out. :)

Quick Sand.jpg

Gooseberry

Explorer
I do have this posted in the pullpal thread but it fits this one and yes I was aired down. This is Walker Lake Nevada on the 4th of july. I'd been driving and thought it would be good to let the pup swim in the water. Notice I did not make close to the water. I pulled cable after trying to jack the van with the Highlift on 2 2x6X24 planks that just sunk. I pulled every piece of hardware I had to reach solid objects and still pulled a few bolders out. think of a foot of sand over marsh bog.

View attachment 170776

ynemu2e8.jpg
2ude7u7a.jpg

http://youtu.be/MLSmSwmZYdg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
KJ Rubicon saves a JK Rubicon!

Jeep Stuck!.jpg

I was following a buddy in his Jeep Wrangler Rubicon who decided, with a "liberal" application of throttle, he could make it through several hundred feet of marsh...

...He failed and got stuck half way through. Being as we decided to continue forward, I winched my way too my buddy, then winched past him to the other side, turned around and recovered my buddy.

Being as he decided to wear shorts and tennis shoes with black socks, he deserved to get stuck!:coffee:

Last edited:

photo_i

Explorer
Tightly laced boots are a must if these "being stuck" situations, otherwise sand will claim your foot ware. :)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Bare feet are OK in sand. Mine aren't tough enough for anything else these days though. They used to be, I didn't own any shoes until I went to school and only wore them then because you had to during school hours, but after that they often came off for the walk home.

Ok, 'nuther stuck story.

I was building Wothehellizat Mk2 in a mate's workshop, he has an earthmoving business and was out on a job mucking out a farmer's dam when the bank gave way. He managed to drop the bucket in time to support the digger and stop it from toppling over but there was no way to get it out by itself.

31841.jpg

He drives home and we go back to the site with his motorhome.

On arrival I run the rear winch cable out to a tree to hold the truck, then we both run the front cable through a snatch block on the digger and back to the truck.

31843.jpg

I then operate the winch from the truck cab, keeping tension on the cable so Peter can raise the boom and then walk the digger up the bank. Job done, all we have to do is take the truck back home, but now it's bogged.

31865.jpg

By this time we'd already spooled the rear winch cable back in and were not inclined to run it back out again, fortunately the farmer had arrived by then so he pulled the truck out with his tractor.

31868.jpg

There's no way the truck should have bogged there so we investigate and find an air line had blown so the (air operated) transfer case was not going into FWD.

All in a day's work :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nicely done Rob, thanks for the story!

I'm really enjoying these last few stories (in addition to the pics).

photo_i

Explorer
Bare feet are OK in sand. Mine aren't tough enough for anything else these days though. They used to be, I didn't own any shoes until I went to school and only wore them then because you had to during school hours, but after that they often came off for the walk home.

Yeah, I looked at some of you "mug shots" - cute. :)

BTW, what's with this Peterbuild? Where is Wothahellizat???

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
thanks for the story!
No probs.

some of you "mug shots" - cute.
Yeah yeah I know, what can I say? And the great thing is I'm still just as cute.

Where is Wothahellizat?
It was under construction at the time and not really road worthy.

As you've noticed the sign on the bonnet air deflector says "Peterbuilt", note "built" not "bilt", a play on words because Peter built it (in fact in very small letters there is an "it" there as well). But a guy got right up him one day, "This isn't a Peterbilt", "Don't you know what a Peterbilt is?" etc etc. I guess the subtlety was wasted on him.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Here's a quote by graynomad that really nails what many wish for:

"After all that we decided to slightly change our camp site so we could see the water better and as we stayed there for another 4 weeks or so it was worth the move."

(from post 269)

Moments like this make my webwheeling worthwhile.

Thank you,
Dale

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Thanks guys.

Dale, yes we like to hang around, a couple of weeks at least, a month if the spot is really nice, more if it's great as that camp on the Yule R was. We only left then really because the river dried up :) Our last "trip" was across Oz and back again, it took us about 3 years :) We sold everything to achieve that lifestyle though, it's not difficult to do but you pay a price.

Dusty, great photos of your old rigs there. I don't like that terrain though, give me a nice hot dry desert any day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal