Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
New to the Subaru world, just picked up a 79' Brat, 1.6L 4speed. 98% rust free and probably the most simple thing I've ever worked on!
Missing the rear jump seats sadly but I have the oem subaru camper shell
Runs and drives great with 146k on the clock, been sitting since 09'. Finding parts for these is not easy!

IMG_9023.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

DesertFZJ80

Observer
^ That is epic. Nice find. Any plans, or just a driver?

Thanks! I'm trying to source some parts for it, the bolt pattern is 4x140 so wheels aren't easy to find, I found NOS Subaru steelies for $13.99 each on ebay so i'll probably go that route and get some all-terrains. Gonna do some minor body work and hopefully get some paint on it in a few months.
Now to find everything for a full tune-up

FLoffroad1

Observer
I recently went on the Transcontinental Railroad Grade in Northern Utah and then down to Wendover/Bonneville, thanks to some photos I saw over in the Land Rover subforum.
130+ miles and 7-8 hours of non-stop dirt and about 14 hours of driving overall - nothing crazy by Expo standards, but still something.

IMG_8585_zps9qtafvvn.jpg

IMG_8642_zps7dkxqshe.jpg

IMG_8659_zps3pqvxfaq.jpg

IMG_8734_zpsquiwhxfr.jpg

Full write-up on the subaruforester.org forums

Last edited:

rickb801

Great write up. I've been wanting to do this trip for a while except making it 2 days. Starting in Faust and taking the Pony Express trail to Wendover . Spend night in Wendover or camp close by. Then from Wendover on the Transcontinental Railroad Grade and back to SLC. Hopefully soon since it seems spring is here.

FLoffroad1

Observer
Thanks everybody.

Overall, I'd say late Winter or Fall would be the best times (now included b/c it seems Winter is ending early). It was pretty windy at first, but it calmed down as the sun came out more.
I read that in late spring and summer the mosquitoes around the Salt Lake can get bad (I didn't know mosquitoes would like salt water, but it is pretty marshy on the NE side of the lake).

A 2 day trip would be great - I would suggest camping near Pilot Mtn (there is some 'Pass', I forgot the name, that diverges off from Pilot Mtn Road and would take you right up in the mountains. The junction was just north of the big ranch). It looked really pretty around there. I'd probably be about 1hr or so further north of Wendover.

EDIT - Google calls it 'Bettridge Springs Rd' I think. There are some others too that go up on the mountain, but I wouldn't camp near the ranch just because of those sheep dogs I mentioned in the write-up. I wouldn't want to wake up to them outside my tent.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
My 03 forester the bluebaru

Havnt done much to it but been impressed with where it goes and how comfy it is but the road noise is a little maddening , might lift it and stuff a little more tire under it ... Might sell it , not sure yet .

FLoffroad1

Observer
Nice photos. I've always liked the SG5 Forester's styling the most of all Foresters, if not Subarus.

It's funny - coming from a Ford Sport Trac with 255 width Grabber AT2s, the ride quality and less road noise is one of my favourite things about my 2011 Forester.

Is it tire noise or wind noise or something else the matter? A different set of tires could make a big difference.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I have been driving Soobs for years.I have been driving my truck for the last year or so....DSCN0966.jpg

I recently bought A new river rat.My least favorite year but the price was right.......DSCN1074.jpg

In my time without a Soob and driving the truck I forgot two things.Road noise is maddening and driving wet roads and head light glare is sometimes flat out scary.

That said I can find no better car to get me on my favorite river so I can fish.

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
The primary thing I dislike about my Forester, is that headlight glare is flippin horrible. Another compounded issue, is that most lifted trucks do not adjust their lights, or when folks run around with their fogs on, I receive the full brunt of the shine. Also, having two less cylinders makes passing folks an art now. But, I wont trade the ride, and composure for anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues