Supercharger or regear?

coho51

I need input on what to do with my truck next. I have a 98 extra-cab Tacoma that I have lifted 3" and put all the armor on it. Just put 33's on and now in the hills it will slow down on a climb. I also pull a camper that weights 900 lbs. As I read these forums they talk about regearing and superchargers, I'm wondering which way to go, I'll end up with both but what to do for now? Thanks for your thoughts.:sombrero:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I would suggest re-gearing the axles as well. The supercharger would cost 2-3x as much and decrease the reliability of the engine (and possibly the drive line). It may also require premium fuel.

coho51

Damn, All for one and one for all:26_7_2: If you regear is there any kind of trade off? Like start & stop lugging or top end hiway traveling? Or is it really like going back to stock. I really don't know anything about these things.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Damn, All for one and one for all:26_7_2: If you regear is there any kind of trade off? Like start & stop lugging or top end hiway traveling? Or is it really like going back to stock. I really don't know anything about these things.

It would be similar to stock, but still a little less because you're spinning the extra weight of big tires. You'll always have that penalty.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
To add to the chorus: gears.

Zero downsides IF you stay with the larger tire sizes for life and the install is done properly.

Pete

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Re-gear, I've done it twice on the same rig. 4.56's 1st time and 4.88's the second. I'm guessing your running the 5vzfe (3.4) with an auto or is it manual?

A

Applejack

Explorer
Re-gearing can get you back to stock or near at least to compensate for the larger tires which have thrown off your final drive ratio. However you will still have to live with the fuel economy deficit from the added weight of your modifications. There is no way to get all your MPG's like a stock truck now. We all have to live with this dilemma. Good luck!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I thought the case too but, running the 4.88's I average 16mpg. I get between 15 and 18.5 with varying ethanol content but 16 is the average for the last 40k. The window sticker for the 4runner says 15/18 so I'm on target with respects to the window sticker.

The Tacoma gets better economy than the 4Runner out of the box.

A

coho51

I have an auto. Just check priceing:Wow1: $2300. for gears labor and new timing belt and water pump. Gotta get done.

NothingClever

Explorer
I vote for a re-gear. I got interested in the SC but with all the argy bargy I saw on the forums and the extra bits and bobs (aftermarket) required to get it to run properly, I decided 'the juice wasn't worth the squeeze' for me.
I went with 4.88 and the difference is impressive. I have a Four Wheel Camper on the back which, when fully loaded, weighs over 1,000 lbs. I can accelerate and maintain 45-55 mph up most passes here in Colorado.
Absolutely NO change in the vehicle's driving behavior from a stop, shifting, etc other than I don't need to slip the clutch near as much if I'm starting on a hill.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'll sing out of tune and say supercharger, but only if you've got the budget and are also looking for the other improvements you get with the supercharger... if not the gears absolutely make the most sense. I really have to bite my tongue because I'm generally the first person to tell people to re-gear rather than try and try and achieve 'power' through engine upgrades but having driven 4 years on my SC equipped Tacoma, I have zero interest or need to re-gear and on the top end side I can hang at some pretty ridiculous speeds when reasonably needed. Notes from my build article:

"As mentioned the supercharger was not a deal breaking accessory I needed or wanted to have when truck shopping, however in hindsight I don't know that I would have it any other way. The 1st generation Tacoma Double-Cab is only available in an automatic transmission package, and while the automatic transmissions are fairly bulletproof they rob much needed power particularly on a heavy laden truck spinning large tires. Many choose to re-gear the axles to get the power back however the supercharge more than makes up for the power loss, allowing me to easily maintain speeds even up the steepest grades and headwinds. My ideal package would be a manual truck with the supercharger but it just wasn't an option and truth be told I've really come to love the automatic."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal