Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

pray4surf

Explorer
Yes, they stack some, but still hold the cover up pretty close to the base, here is a shoot. Would be interested in seeing shoots of what you did.

Took me way to long to get the RTT back out in the field, but I did snap a pic of my cover straps
IMG_0204.JPG

Same as you did - what threw me was seeing yours stowed with the tent in the 'folded/closed' position..

T-Rey1

Adventurer
My tent has the 3 straps that go over the cover when put away and I see others only have 2. Is 3 really needed. It Shure would improve my tent if I only used 2 straps instead of 3

compactcamping

Explorer
Same as you did - what threw me was seeing yours stowed with the tent in the 'folded/closed' position..
Yes I pointed mine in towards to tent so they would flop into place easy when closing.

Tmreyes1, the center one holds the ladder down and keeps it from bouncing around. Tents like Tepui have a strap under the cover for holding the ladder down.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My Mombasa has 3. Somewhrer back about 100 pages or something you can see the replacement straps I made too. Much better than those cinch buckles!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Based on all of the information here I updated my straps for the cover and added two to where the ladder goes. The extra ones in the center stop ladder bounce as well as stop the cover ballooning up while driving. The wider straps are much nicer than the skinny OEM straps.
IMG_1858-1.jpg

more pix at the blog: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2014-02-16T18:04:00-08:00&max-results=7

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Yes I pointed mine in towards to tent so they would flop into place easy when closing.

Tmreyes1, the center one holds the ladder down and keeps it from bouncing around. Tents like Tepui have a strap under the cover for holding the ladder down.

I see. Thanks for that. Ill look at my friends Tepui

Limbwalker

Observer
I have a couple upgrades on order. Firstly, the velcro on the straps of my Tepui is a joke and falling apart from cinching down a 0degree bag inside, so I ordered some snap buckles off amazon that I think will work.
Also found a little stick-on battery powered Led light that wont be awesome, but adequate. We dont really hang out up there, so dont need a ton of light... Just enough to get ready for bed
Cheers
Scott

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Has anyone tried substituting ratchet straps to replace the cover straps? I see the cover on my Tepui billowing & flapping around in my sideview mirror - all that movement has to create a pressure differential inside the folded tent that could pull in moisture into the tent.

captwoody

Adventurer
Harbor freight triangle LED Lights

Harbor freight has these little LED triagle lights for around 3 bucks. they have red LED blinking,red LED constant good for night vision and white LED which put out enough light in a tent to read by. Plus if you buy 3-4 of them you can use them instead of flares in the red mode

prharleys

Car trunk net used as a shoe hammock

I used the net that came with my car for organizing the trunk by simply sliding it over the tube that extends the overhang of the tent. Of course this only works with the tents that have the overhang.
image.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
I scored some free foam mattress pads and put two of the 1" pads under the stock mattress. Makes it harder to close, but I think the foam will compress after a while and get easier.
In the meantime, I haven't slept this well in months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach