Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
What length awning did you go with on the tan JKU pictured... I wanted the 8' but felt it was too long on the GOBI Rack is I went with the 6.5'. I haven't installed the awning yet so I could change my mind....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I scored some free foam mattress pads and put two of the 1" pads under the stock mattress. Makes it harder to close, but I think the foam will compress after a while and get easier.
In the meantime, I haven't slept this well in months.

I've experimented by adding in an old school "self inflating" Thermarest mat to firm up the feel of the memory foam pad. Maybe what the tent companies could do is to have an air mattress option with a Schrader valve external to the tent. Connect your tire air compressor and adjust to your preferred firmness.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I've experimented by adding in an old school "self inflating" Thermarest mat to firm up the feel of the memory foam pad. Maybe what the tent companies could do is to have an air mattress option with a Schrader valve external to the tent. Connect your tire air compressor and adjust to your preferred firmness.

We use a pair of self inflating Cabela's sleeping pads on top of the factory foam mattress. It's all covered up by one of those elastic bedsheets, which holds the factory mattress and sleeping pads together. Simply add a little air when we get to camp and it's nothing but comfort :) Plus, they only cost about $75 each.

NZXJ

Greetings from New Zealand. Just returned from a short 3 - night camping trip testing our latest roof top tent modification. Created a platform out of ply and suspended with tie-downs (at this stage to test proof of concept) for our two children (6 and 3) to sleep with us all in the roof top tent. Bit unsure initially as to the weight of the platform and children pulling down on the tent frame, but not so much as a single wobble. Have attached a photo, hopefully portraying the concept better than I am explaining. Will now look at refining the platform with the inclusion of led strip lights under the platform to allow light without disturbing sleeping children, and replacing the tie downs at each corner with a more permanent solution.

DSCN1029.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
Enginious!

I do not see any issues with the weight of two young children (unless they start jumping around) ;) The most weight that my rtt as seen on the structure was 3 to 4" off wet snow on the entire roof surface and it did not seemed to create any problems!

Greetings from New Zealand. Just returned from a short 3 - night camping trip testing our latest roof top tent modification. Created a platform out of ply and suspended with tie-downs (at this stage to test proof of concept) for our two children (6 and 3) to sleep with us all in the roof top tent. Bit unsure initially as to the weight of the platform and children pulling down on the tent frame, but not so much as a single wobble. Have attached a photo, hopefully portraying the concept better than I am explaining. Will now look at refining the platform with the inclusion of led strip lights under the platform to allow light without disturbing sleeping children, and replacing the tie downs at each corner with a more permanent solution.

View attachment 268196

jesperjes

That's a very cool idea. I'll remember that when I have kids

Beamer pilot

Explorer
We don't plan on having another child...but for longer term RTT camping in one location, this is a great idea for storing clothing and such.
Great idea, thanks.

Thanks to this thread, I decided to order replacement straps for my RTT side tie down straps.

I replaced the original velcro strap, with "Single Adjust Side Release Buckles" from StrapWorks.com.

During the ordering process, I asked enough "dumb" questions that the nice folks at StrapWorks decided to assign me a representative for a custom job.

This weekend, with the beautiful weather here in Colorado, I decided to install the new straps:

ClouDrop%20Feb%209,%202015,%209%3A51%3A56%20AM%20Feb%209,%202015,%209%3A51%3A59%20AM.png

Other than having to run to HomeDepot for a slightly longer #8 coarse screws to replace the center mounting screw, the job was quick and easy.

I really like the result, and feel it made packing the tent back up easier.

StrapWorks did a very nice job, sewing all of the ends for me and delivering a nicely finished product.

Here's an image of the female end:

IMG_4992.JPG

The male end has 24 inches of strap, which was a little long... but I could cut and apply heat to the fringe if I really wanted to. I will probably leave it as is.

I paid a small "Prototype" fee, so two straps set me back about $18 delivered.

With that said, now that the Prototype has been created, anyone here can order these straps for about $8 delivered.

Just send an email to orders@strapworks.com and reference Item Code: CS-BT-SRBS1P2B

Thanks for all of the inspiration provided in this thread!

Brandon

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Thanks to this thread, I decided to order replacement straps for my RTT side tie down straps.

I replaced the original velcro strap, with "Single Adjust Side Release Buckles" from StrapWorks.com.

According to the instruction included with my ARB RTT these straps are to be snug at best. Am I missing something?

According to the instruction included with my ARB RTT these straps are to be snug at best. Am I missing something?

No, I don't think you are missing anything.

I believe my tent's instruction said about the same thing.

I have not seen the straps on an ARB, but my Velcro straps would not even retain a "snug" hold. I would strap one side down, and by the time I got to the next side it would pop free.

With all of that in mind, I would like to know the only "snug only" reasoning.

Frankly, I go a bit beyond "snug" as I also have 1.5" memory foam mattress in my RTT.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid

During the ordering process, I asked enough "dumb" questions that the nice folks at StrapWorks decided to assign me a representative for a custom job.

This weekend, with the beautiful weather here in Colorado, I decided to install the new straps:

ClouDrop%20Feb%209,%202015,%209%3A51%3A56%20AM%20Feb%209,%202015,%209%3A51%3A59%20AM.png

Other than having to run to HomeDepot for a slightly longer #8 coarse screws to replace the center mounting screw, the job was quick and easy.

I really like the result, and feel it made packing the tent back up easier.

StrapWorks did a very nice job, sewing all of the ends for me and delivering a nicely finished product.

Here's an image of the female end:

IMG_4992.JPG

The male end has 24 inches of strap, which was a little long... but I could cut and apply heat to the fringe if I really wanted to. I will probably leave it as is.

I paid a small "Prototype" fee, so two straps set me back about $18 delivered.

With that said, now that the Prototype has been created, anyone here can order these straps for about $8 delivered.

Just send an email to orders@strapworks.com and reference Item Code: CS-BT-SRBS1P2B

Thanks for all of the inspiration provided in this thread!

Brandon

Tough to beat those prices. I think I might just order a roll of strapping and make a bunch up. What color would work best as a "universal"? I would like to avoid black for heat reasons.

Lucky j

Explorer
In my book, if you have a sawing machine, it is a bit on the expensive side. But if you do not have on, then I guess it would work.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer

We use a pair of self inflating Cabela's sleeping pads on top of the factory foam mattress. It's all covered up by one of those elastic bedsheets, which holds the factory mattress and sleeping pads together. Simply add a little air when we get to camp and it's nothing but comfort :) Plus, they only cost about $75 each.

I scored some free foam mattress pads and put two of the 1" pads under the stock mattress. Makes it harder to close, but I think the foam will compress after a while and get easier.
In the meantime, I haven't slept this well in months.
Holy cow forget your self inflating nonsense go to Costco and find the memory foam mattress topper. The queen size fit perfect in mine. Between the stock pad, my 2" extra pad and this big memory foam topper my friend and I slept like a drunk baby. I have a very nice new mattress at home and I've never ever slept as well as I did this last weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater